DraStic DS Emulator on Android is now free to download, will be taken down soon

DraStic_new.png

Exophase, the developer of the DraStic Nintendo DS emulator, has made a statement regarding the future of the emulator. DraStic has been a popular closed-source DS emulator on Android that has been available for many years. However, following the fallout from both Yuzu and Citra emulator's situations, Exophase has decided to take DraStic off of the Google Play Store. According to them, DraStic was already going to be pulled from the Google Play Store, regardless of current events, but that things made the issue, "more urgent".

exophase.png

Before the app gets delisted, Exophase has made DraStic free to download, when it had previously cost $4.99 to buy. They plan on eventually releasing the source code for the emulator as well. You can grab DraStic DS Emulator from the Google Play Store here.

:arrow: Source: The Verge

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
See, folks? This what i was talking about, every piece of homebrew/emulator/cfw etc projects will now follow suit.. Big N won! you'll be at their mercy and be happy.
Something I've noticed with these "Wah wha, Nintendo won! Wah wah!" is that Nintendo tends to do these when they're planning to release something alike themselves.

Allow me to elaborate:
  • Another Metroid Remake, got taken down, months before Nintendo announced a proper 3DS remake of Return of Samus.
  • Went after rom sites months before releasing the "virtual console" in the Switch.

My guess is that, why wait this long to take down a Switch emulator?
    Well, according to tradition, I'm guessing that Nintendo is planning to emulate Switch with their new console.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a while since I've been online so I wanted to chime in while I have time. I don't feel so bittersweet a/b DraStic being given away for free since I bought DraStic back on Dec 8, 2019. However, I didn't even realize that the devs of YuZu also developed for Citra and I literally just bought Citra less than a month ago and I'm pissed that it was pulled from the Google Play store:
QJDr47j.png

2 words: F*CK Nintendo

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
At this point, I want piracy to kill Nintendo. If supporting them means dragging down emulators, then I hope Nintendo dies
It’d be nice to see Nintendo negatively impacted (at this point, I don’t care about their image) by their weird stance on community driven projects, not piracy specifically. Unfortunately, unless we get more than our little sect here, nothing will change.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It’d be nice to see Nintendo negatively impacted (at this point, I don’t care about their image) by their weird stance on community driven projects, not piracy specifically. Unfortunately, unless we get more than our little sect here, nothing will change.
Yeah, I just want Nintendo to actually feel some pain from their actions. It’s frustrating that nothing will ever happen and nothing will get better

Reactions: Tarmfot

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought Drastic when I got the Samsung Z Fold4. It was basically the only reason why I liked that phone since it turned it into a DS with a foldable screen and the same form factor. The ability to resize the screens and on-screen controls in Drastic was unparalleled.

Something I've noticed with these "Wah wha, Nintendo won! Wah wah!" is that Nintendo tends to do these when they're planning to release something alike themselves.

Allow me to elaborate:
  • Another Metroid Remake, got taken down, months before Nintendo announced a proper 3DS remake of Return of Samus.
  • Went after rom sites months before releasing the "virtual console" in the Switch.

My guess is that, why wait this long to take down a Switch emulator?
    Well, according to tradition, I'm guessing that Nintendo is planning to emulate Switch with their new console.
The Switch 2 got delayed by at least 6 months. That means that the Switch needs to last even longer than it already has, and Nintendo doesn't want to compete with PC playing the games better, especially when the PC players don't have to even buy the game.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How ironic is it for Nintendo to say "emulation stifles innovation" (which they've stated on 2 occasions that I can recall: here and here), but yet they promote emulation whether through their NSO, Virtual Consoles or NES/SNES mini's in the past. F*cking greedy POS hypocrites.
Post automatically merged:

I bought Drastic when I got the Samsung Z Fold4. It was basically the only reason why I liked that phone since it turned it into a DS with a foldable screen and the same form factor. The ability to resize the screens and on-screen controls in Drastic was unparalleled.

The Switch 2 got delayed by at least 6 months. That means that the Switch needs to last even longer than it already has, and Nintendo doesn't want to compete with PC playing the games better, especially when the PC players don't have to even buy the game.
I actually bought DraStic from the Play Store back in 2019 after modding my PSC and enjoying how it ran on that device. Lately, I've been playing DraStic on my Amazon firestick 4K Max (16GB).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1