PS2 emulator AetherSX2 removed from Google Play Store

unnamed.png

The highly controversial PlayStation 2 emulator for Android devices, AetherSX2, has been removed from the Google Play Store starting from March 10th, 2024.

This doesn't come as a surprise for many, though, as the AetherSX2 emulator halted development entirely back in 2023, with the developer specifically mentioning the "neverending impersonating, complaints, demands, and now death threats". Although, it took almost a year for the actual emulator app to be taken down from the Play Store, following the discontinuation of the project.

While AetherSX2 has suspended development a long time ago, and the Play Store will no longer offer the emulator, there's currently a community effort put into patching certain the latest available AetherSX2 version into a better and more developed application, following the original creator stepping down from the project. This new version is titled "NetherSX2", and has been going strong for the past year for those still seeking to have a followup to the AetherSX2 project.

:arrow: Source

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
At some point devs have to stop doing things for the community and just do it because they want to and enjoy it. You can’t please everyone, and it really seems there will always be antagonists somewhere.
I have to agree here. Certain people just want to play stuff without taking in consideration things like technical limits, timelines, the authors' personal life etc. and that's just unfair and angering at the same time.
Post automatically merged:

And as soon as they spot one small thing they don't like, they go after the author(s) with insults and whatever their mind decides.

Reactions: Kioku and Xdqwerty

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm just playing with the gigantic srw-og (eng patched) on my old snapdragon 678 via NetherSX2; I have to admit it's incredibly fun and keeps me practically glued to the screen. But every half hour I have to take a break, because the back of my smartphone gets practically red-hot, and it almost smokes. 😩

Reactions: Xdqwerty

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just playing with the gigantic srw-og (eng patched) on my old snapdragon 678 via NetherSX2; I have to admit it's incredibly fun and keeps me practically glued to the screen. But every half hour I have to take a break, because the back of my smartphone gets practically red-hot, and it almost smokes. 😩
Now that's what we call a hot potato

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the bigger story i see here is how google is in itself changing to be the evil company that supposedly the creators of google created it not to be. jokes on most people nowadays as operating systems and technology gets lessoned down so the end user has less and less control and ability to make the experience better for them.

an original dos computer i used as a kid is more creative and allows for more control than android with all its apps and adds and datamining. theres a catch to every single piece of it if you actually think about it.

kinda odd to feel like the older the internet gets the less freedom people have because of how stupid they are in how they use the internet. what people adopt knowingly and unknowingly is just mind boggling when u think about it

• Sad
Reactions: ichig0 and Xdqwerty

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Death threats? Who tf is sending that shit and why??

It's just unnecessary hate.
I figure almost everyone famous gets death threats all the time, but only certain people bring it up when they want you to feel sorry for them. I recommend not reading the comments if you become famous.

the ps2 runs like shit on android anyway even on the shield tv pro
you don't go above the n64 emu on android
Shield pro is badly outdated and much weaker than pretty much any modern tablet/phone. Most android streaming devices use bottom of the barrel chipsets though, so thats why people still like the shield.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The highly controversial PlayStation 2 emulator for Android devices, AetherSX2, has been removed from the Google Play Store starting from March 10th, 2024.

This doesn't come as a surprise for many, though, as the AetherSX2 emulator halted development entirely back in 2023, with the developer specifically mentioning the "neverending impersonating, complaints, demands, and now death threats". Although, it took almost a year for the actual emulator app to be taken down from the Play Store, following the discontinuation of the project.

While AetherSX2 has suspended development a long time ago, and the Play Store will no longer offer the emulator, there's currently a community effort put into patching certain the latest available AetherSX2 version into a better and more developed application, following the original creator stepping down from the project. This new version is titled "NetherSX2", and has been going strong for the past year for those still seeking to have a followup to the AetherSX2 project.

:arrow: Source
This is old news, and the devs have already stated this would happen on their Discord server due to the latest version of AetherSX2 on the Play Store being unauthorized and related to malware or something of the sort. NetherSX2 is the future and it's not hard to patch the latest stable release "v1.5-3668" to build NetherSX2 Classic 3668.

How do you Update NetherSX2
Follow the instructions to use their script to apply the patch:
https://github.com/Trixarian/NetherSX2-classic?tab=readme-ov-file

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is old news, and the devs have already stated this would happen on their Discord server due to the latest version of AetherSX2 on the Play Store being unauthorized and related to malware or something of the sort. NetherSX2 is the future and it's not hard to patch the latest stable release "v1.5-3668" to build NetherSX2 Classic 3668.

Follow the instructions to use their script to apply the patch:
https://github.com/Trixarian/NetherSX2-classic?tab=readme-ov-file
Should have explained: I already have the NetherSX2 v1.5-4248 on my Device. How would one Update the App?

DTApple

"I'm a trendy tote bag!"
Trophies
Website
dtapple.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I’ve gotten death threats on GBAtemp from some crack head. I was getting death threats on Twitter for being a VTuber. I literally got a death threat on YouTube because someone assumed I am a trans woman. People on the internet are unhinged and unhealthy.
Sounds rough. I hope you haven't taken them to heart and are feeling better nowadays! (。・∀・)ノ゙

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto