GBA and GBC emulator "Pizza Boy" has been removed from the Google Play Store

sadasdasds.png

Yet another emulator bites the dust, in the aftermath of the Tropic Haze/Yuzu vs. Nintendo case. Pizza Boy, a $5.49 paid app on the Google Play Store, has been taken down and is no longer available for purchase. Developer Davide made an announcement post explaining that he has permanently removed his app from the Play Store, citing the reasoning as, "I have chosen to prioritize my family over the development of my apps." With the implication that he has not been forced to delist his emulator, but has chosen to do so as a precaution after other emulator developers have been affected. Currently, several other paid GBA/GBC emulators are still available on the Play Store, including John GBA, My Boy!, and Nostalgia.GBA.

:arrow: Source

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I never said that the reason Yuzu being sued was the same reason why emulators charging for their product are being pulled. They aren't necessarily correlated at all, beyond the fact that the creators are now scared of losing everything.

As to why it's unlawful, they were making money directly off of Nintendo's code (modified of course, but Nintendo's fingerprints are all over the code of any Nintendo emulator). Not sure how you don't get that. Giving it away for free and asking for donations is one thing, and in fact the obvious way to go while avoiding any unnecessary lawsuits, charging for commercial code that you didn't create is completely different.

They are not making money out of Nintendo's code. They may be mimicking the reading and processing of a Nintendo console but the code is their own. It's derived from reverse engineering, that also has legal precedent. Specially talking about older consoles, it is hardware replicated in code, what code would they be using? The BIOS?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am suggesting an additional product which can't be hacked.
"can't be hacked" isn't a thing. Nintendo also avoids platforms they don't control. It took them forever to get into the cellphone game, and it's online only stuff for the most part. Only native games for cellphone, nothing emulated.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am suggesting an additional product which can't be hacked.
You are suggesting an additional product that doesn't exist.

There's no such thing as a device that can't be hacked--much less a consumer-level product. Your proposition is entirely unrealistic.

I'm not really sure where you're going with this. Nintendo is never going to port games to other consoles. Even if they somehow created a perfect console that couldn't be hacked (which is impossible), people would just hack other consoles and do the same thing. It really isn't in Nintendo's best interest to do anything except what they're doing now.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are not making money out of Nintendo's code. They may be mimicking the reading and processing of a Nintendo console but the code is their own. It's derived from reverse engineering, that also has legal precedent. Specially talking about older consoles, it is hardware replicated in code, what code would they be using? The BIOS?
You're doing an awful lot of hand washing and double speak to try and make it ok to make money off these emulators when it's a clear violation of the law. Drastic is smart to go free, they know they've been playing dirty by charging.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Reactions: jeremy2020

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They can control everything they own with MD5 checksum of emulator source and by only supporting ROM headers for official ROMs with automatic bans for hacking them under terms of use.
nintendo don 't think like that remember they are a closed minded archaic society :lol:
Post automatically merged:

Yea but those are worse
they work fine for me on my shield tv PRO :P

Reactions: Tuhr and Xdqwerty
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:/
NGL, I feel like these people are becoming cowards. I honestly doubt Nintendo is going to go after every emulator
So many people got angry over this comment, and acting like losing a lawsuit means someone will literally die if they don't pay it. I have to wonder if any of them have been on either side of a lawsuit. I have been sued twice, and I lost, and I didn't pay a single penny. Absolute WORST case scenario: the person files for bankruptcy and maybe has to liquidate some of their luxury goods. Unpaid auto accident settlements can result in a driver's license suspension in some US states, but only until bankruptcy is filed with the court. I understand bankruptcy is a little more complicated for business entities, but worst case scenario again, they just have to liquidate and close down the business. That's why you set up an LLC to begin with: to protect yourself as an individual from crap like that. Really the end result was the same whether they willingly go out of business or get forced to by court order.
Post automatically merged:

o well there's still plenty of FREE gba/c emus on there
Plenty of free .apk files too, if someone really has their heart set on using Pizza Boy

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
That's sad news,
I literally discovered this app last month when I opened up the Play Store app and in the Play Pass tab there was the Pizza Boy GBA, a week after that i saw that he was mentioned on RetroAchievments website as one of the GBA emulators to use on Android. I downloaded it and I can say, it works flawlessly.

Well, at least its easy to download its APK file and configure it, unlike Yuzu for exemple.:(

Reactions: Blythe93

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
"can't be hacked" isn't a thing. Nintendo also avoids platforms they don't control. It took them forever to get into the cellphone game, and it's online only stuff for the most part. Only native games for cellphone, nothing emulated.
Not to mention that they straight up lockdown most of their mobile apps once root has been detected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts