ROM Hack Dragon Quest IX: Project Brutal

solidsnake13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am attempting to hack the DQIX Rom to make the game a bit more challenging, like giving the enemies more HP and lowering attack power (along with raising magic power to make it useful. I have found the files (nsarc and bin) that I believe hold the info that I need to change, but the structure is a bit different than what I am used to. Is there anyone who has looked at the rom that would be willing to help me figure out what I am supposed to mod, even if it is just for one enemy or one stat, I can figure out from there how to make changes.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
strangely this all sounds like something you could do with some ar codes. Head over to kodewerx.net. Pretty much everything you need could be done with arcodes. DSatm - which pathces codes directly to the rom is something you would find really handy for this. Its just a lot of work. You need to find the enemy stats with a memory searcher (if they already haven't been found) then work form there. Lowering your characters hp is as easy as changing the 999 stat codes to something smaller. Just changing it so that its conditional upon certain exp level acquistion maybe the harder part. for the magic attack the same goes you just need some expereince with memory searching.
I hope I am making sense...
oh and goodluck
Make sure Dsatm doesn't screw the game up first sometimes it can happen.

solidsnake13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that totally makes sense, that is actually what I am doing. I just am not finding what I am looking for using Desmume.

The AR codes are mostly for enhancing the heroes, I haven't found anything for the enemies. Plus I am looking to lower the amount of skill points the character earns with each level up.

Guess it is back to the emulator and hex editor...

yab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I actually do know that one.
It's in mons_btl_data2.nat
There's a 4 byte header and the monster info is in groups of 132 bytes.
the hp is in bytes 93-94, followed by mp, attack, def, agility, and resistances.

The stats and skill points per level up are in level0.bin, level1.bin, etc.

solidsnake13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yab, you are my hero! First the DQIX save editor translation, now this, that will make hacking a lot easier.

And to think it was staring me right in the face this whole time...

One more question yab, with the level0, level1, etc files, I see that it goes up to 12, but stops, does it revolve back around to level0 again or how does that work?

yab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's one file per class. Each file contains all the experience needed/stat gains for level 0-99 in one class.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Heyyyy lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the baker appears
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    so i signed up for a library takeout box a few weeks ago, and a couple weeks ago i got the takeout box
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    now stick with me
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i got a small bag of fritos, a tea bag of earl gray, a sticker of pixelated pepe the frog, a blue pair of sunglasses, and 2 books
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teabag the fritos
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    one was a book called gone which is about everyone 15 or older suddenly fucking disappearing, and the other was fucking delicious in dungeon/dungeon meshi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tl;dr i started reading dungeon meshi bc it was in a surprise box from my library, and i will try making one of the recipes from it, substituting the dungeon/fantasy ingredients for real world equivalents (like replacing basilisk with chicken)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No substituting allowed.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @BakerMan I got barometz. Do you want some?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    27th is going to be good entertainment first presidential debate
    Biden drools, Trump grabs them by the pussy.... Ughh lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Felon VS Meth overlord who will win
    My date tonight has 34 H boobs 🥰
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biden trips walking on stage rush to hospital Trump sneakingly lays Legos around Biden potum
    Lol I want them to play board games against each other
    Checkers, Monopoly, connect four lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I sunk your battleship you old senile geezer
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No matter, afterwards Trump will claim he won, and Biden won't even remember what happened or who he is.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want Bidens mic to run out of batteries so he forgets what to say
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I want Bidens mic to run out of batteries so he forgets what to say