Wii U image (WUD) compression tool

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Exzap, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Exzap
    OP

Exzap GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    I made a little tool to compress Wii U images/dumps.

How does it work?
    It detects duplicate sectors and only stores them once. Essentially this leads to all the empty ranges being shaved off, storing only ranges which contain file or filesystem data.
    Although the algorithm is simple, it works really well. In almost all cases it will reduce the size by more than 50% (12GB+!)

Examples (uncompressed size is always 23.3GB):
    Super Mario World 3D -> 2.61GB (20.69GB saved)
    DKC Tropical Freeze -> 11.7GB (11.6GB saved)
    Zelda WW HD -> 2.70GB (20.7GB saved)
    Darksiders 2 -> 9.43GB (13.87GB saved)
    Mario Party 10 -> 4.01GB (19.29GB saved)

It is lossless, meaning you can compress and uncompress a file and the outcome will still be the same. This is different to tools like WiiScrubber which actually modify the data.

Why is this better than using RAR/ZIP/etc.?
    It's faster and tools can natively read it (obv. assuming they support it). At least my future releases will support compressed images directly.

Download (includes source)
    Download mirror

The easiest way to use the tool is to just drag the file you want to compress/decompress onto the .exe

Note for developers:
    I tried to make it easy to integrate into other projects. If you want to implement it, just include wud.cpp and wud.h and you are good to go (for reading only, code for compression is in main.cpp). API should be self-explanatory. Small adjustments are needed to make it work for non-Windows platforms.

2. Xuman

Xuman GBAtemp Fan

Jan 26, 2012
    United States
    Will mosdef try this asap. Good job! Small things like these are what helps out in the long run. I myself am glad the Wii U scene is healthy lately.

canariobr likes this.
  3. fernas

fernas Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2012
    Mexico
    Wow, excellent work!

Margen67 likes this.
  4. davokazaki

davokazaki GBAtemp Regular

Aug 13, 2014
    Excelent work :)

Margen67 likes this.
  5. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    @Exzap . Good work just a thought is this in connection with loadiine cause I see it puts out a WiiU.wux file, not WiiU.wud, any connection with @golden45 ? interesting seems about the right time a compressor has popped up all of a sudden.

Last edited by Reecey, Sep 22, 2015
  6. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    Loadiine doesn't work with WUDs as far as I know. It works with extracted files. And I'd assume .wux is just the extension he chose for compressed wud... Could name it .iso for the same effect.

7. Exzap
    OP

Exzap GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    It's just a coincidence. Probably not useful for loadiine due to the reason already stated by EclipseSin.

canariobr and DarkFlare69 like this.
  8. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    I just thought .pux .wux files? I don't know.

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    seeing as the loader made by @golden45 uses the extracted files i doubt this will be of any use except for archiving "backup", but tbh the raw extracted file system offers the same space saving and means you dont have to extract it several times to access the actual file system :P

10. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    So what your saying is, this loader can only load official back ups that are extracted before hand, it cant load any .wud files etc..? or files in the wild. but then again once they have been extracted I would imagine they would get posted up somewhere in the correct format.

Last edited by Reecey, Sep 22, 2015
  11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well seeing as its based on cafiine almost certainly, not that i have access to it or know exactly what it uses, but he has stated it started as a modified cafiine to load the rpx file from the network too.....which suggests its extracted files only

but you can extract the files from a wud file using Uwizard too using the titlekey that is included in the nfo on most releases, so they aren't exactly useless and can still be used, just that the extracted files are more manageable than trying to stream the entire encrypted image over a network

Last edited by gamesquest1, Sep 22, 2015
  12. Philip3ds

Philip3ds GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2015
    I knew that something like this would be made.

Margen67 and EclipseSin like this.
  13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    A nice little tool, too bad there's no way to make unofficial backups yet :P

CandraSoftware and Margen67 like this.
  14. Vegeta

Vegeta GBAtemp Regular

Nov 8, 2002
    Margen67, Maximilious and EclipseSin like this.
  15. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Maybe this will be combined into Uwizard. @Mr. Mysterio Great work still. I was surprised that the MK8 ISO was 23GB. :lol:

Last edited by kprovost7314, Sep 22, 2015
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio Super Genius

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Rosalina's Comet Observatory
    I actually designed my own WUD compression algorithm, but the reason I didn't add it to Uwizard is that DiscU is closed source and it can't read compressed games.

TotalInsanity4, Margen67 and Irastris like this.
  17. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Was it just due to how your technique worked? I'd hate to compress the .wuds and not be able to easily use them anymore. (But this 186GBs is seriously killing me, I should invest in a better HDD)

18. Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio Super Genius

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Rosalina's Comet Observatory
    I don't know what you mean. Could you please explain the quoted text a little better?

19. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    0:10

20. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    You say your algorithm made them incompatible with DiscU, does that mean it worked differently than Exzap's program does? He claims his program allows them to still be compatible, so I'd assume it's different, but I'd still like to be sure before I go around compressing my WUD folder.