Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is arguably a lack of games of similar scope on mobile phones, dragon quest never made it that big outside Japan and is huge within it (way beyond the point of having a self sustaining fanbase) and people have demonstrated time and time again they are willing to rebuy old games, to say nothing of people having not played it before.

Do you know why that is? Because Square Enix has a terrible marketing team that couldn't tell their heads from their own asses. They continue to belch out Final Fantasy games let and right all the while they try and promote the crap out of games that get less then stellar reviews, meanwhile they completely ignore the Dragon Quest franchise from a marketing standpoint and expect it to sell internationally. Well, if you don't market it, of course it's not going to sell. Maybe instead of pumping all their marketing funds into rehashes of Final Fantasy games and more crappy Kingdom Hearts games, they should market Dragon Quest which has a cult following internationally but is never properly promoted to sell like Final Fantasy.

People aren't going to buy ports of old games on mobile devices when the franchise has very little recognition outside of the hardcore old school gaming audience who have played Dragon Quest since it's early days. Final Fantasy is a recognized and overly promoted brand, Dragon Quest is not. Herein lies the stupidity that porting games that aren't at all recognized by casuals, and would be a waste of resources when the hardcore gamer's want translations of games that many have not played and many have wanted a quality remake of for the last few years. Square Enix doesn't give a flying fuck about their devoted fans and continue to think $$$$$$ with everything they do rather then considering what the fans want.

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How dare they indeed!
h9DC963E9

Besides, I'm sure I'm not the only one who hates gaming on phones.

Although I don't dislike playing on my phone, I must say that I truly prefer gaming on gaming consoles whenever I'm doing a lengthy session, as they are much more comfortable and let me enjoy the game fully.
I'm really sad they won't even localize Terry's Wonderland. Even if it was on eShop only it would be fine.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know why that is? Because Square Enix has a terrible marketing team that couldn't tell their heads from their own asses. They continue to belch out Final Fantasy games let and right all the while they try and promote the crap out of games that get less then stellar reviews, meanwhile they completely ignore the Dragon Quest franchise from a marketing standpoint and expect it to sell internationally. Well, if you don't market it, of course it's not going to sell. Maybe instead of pumping all their marketing funds into rehashes of Final Fantasy games and more crappy Kingdom Hearts games, they should market Dragon Quest which has a cult following internationally but is never properly promoted to sell like Final Fantasy.

People aren't going to buy ports of old games on mobile devices when the franchise has very little recognition outside of the hardcore old school gaming audience who have played Dragon Quest since it's early days. Final Fantasy is a recognized and overly promoted brand, Dragon Quest is not. Herein lies the stupidity that porting games that aren't at all recognized by casuals, and would be a waste of resources when the hardcore gamer's want translations of games that many have not played and many have wanted a quality remake of for the last few years. Square Enix doesn't give a flying fuck about their devoted fans and continue to think $$$$$$ with everything they do rather then considering what the fans want.

Except Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts sell more than Dragon Quest and also have infinitely more western appeal than Dragon Quest does.

Also they developed and put out Dragon Quest IX and X recently so the whole "They ignore Dragon Quest!" argument is pretty bullshit. It just doesn't have as many spinoffs as Final Fantasy. And the Final Fantasy spinoffs are awesome so they should keep making them.

Also there's all of um... like 7 Kingdom Hearts games? I, II, CoM, Re: CoM, 358/2, Re:coded, and BBS?

Reactions: Foxi4

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because 3DS and Vita are known for having a lengthy battery life?

I don't make phone calls or take lecture notes on my Vita or 3DS. If I did then that, too would be a problem. Hence, why I'd rather it on one of my gaming devices that I only use for gaming as well.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Except Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts sell more than Dragon Quest and also have infinitely more western appeal than Dragon Quest does.

Also they developed and put out Dragon Quest IX and X recently so the whole "They ignore Dragon Quest!" argument is pretty bullshit. It just doesn't have as many spinoffs as Final Fantasy. And the Final Fantasy spinoffs are awesome so they should keep making them.

Also there's all of um... like 7 Kingdom Hearts games? I, II, CoM, Re: CoM, 358/2, Re:coded, and BBS?
Kingdom Hearts has, including re-releases such as HD:
KH
KH 2
KH: CoM
KH: Re: CoM
KH 358/2 Days
KH: BBS
KH: Re: Coded
KH: 3D
KH: 1.5 HD (includes KH: Final Mix localized for the first time)

In terms of non-localized games:
KH: Coded (cellphone game, but w/e)
KH 2: Final Mix
KH: BBS Final Mix

In terms of known, upcoming releases:
KH 3

These games are always marketed pretty well too. They're some of the few RPG's that you can still see actual TV ads for. If I'm not mistaken, Final Fantasy gets some actual commercials as well. It's hard for people to not know about these games, helping to get the entire potential audience in the know.

As for ignoring Dragon Quest, actually, it is pretty ignored. Even main titles end up on the "maybe/maybe not" line where localizations are concerned, and as we're seeing now, it just isn't worth it to bring over the DQ spin-offs that are actually pretty damned good and should have as much western appeal as the likes of Pokemon. For Dragon Quest IX, that's over three years old now, and Dragon Quest X is a cluster fuck of not knowing when anything will actually be coming to anything outside of Japan. As well, the 3DS remake of DQ 7, which never got enough US exposure to begin with, hasn't even been hinted at as a potential target for localization. Let's not forget that the DS remakes of IV, V, and VI almost seemed like they would never make it until they were announced for localization at the outer edge of the likely announcement window after the Japanese release.

So yeah, as far as the west is concerned, and even in Japan, DQ is pretty ignored by our lovely developer. The cop out in making DQ X an MMO that would clearly flounder, in and outside of Japan, wasn't exactly stellar either, but that's a pretty obvious fuck up on their part.

As for "awesome" FF spin-offs: we essentially have FF Tactics, which, last I checked, hasn't seen too many releases past about midway through the life of the DS. Otherwise, there were the absolute shit Crystal Chronicle games, and...um...nothing else really comes to mind as even remotely recent. Everything else kind of sucks. Even where mainline games are concerned, they haven't been selling very well anywhere, Japan, NA, or Europe. Yet, no matter what, they'll keep localizing them. The numbers, regardless, definitely don't support the idea that FF is a better series. It's simply a better known series, which clearly is not getting too many sales at this point. With more and better marketing, I'm pretty much positive that DQ would be a much better selling series in the west than the likes of the newest shit FF title.

KH, well, KH has Disney. That right there is why it sells well in the west. That and I remember seeing ads on TV often enough when the series was first starting up that did a pretty good job pushing the "Disney, Disney everywhere" aspect. Needless to say, it doesn't need much marketing anymore. Everybody and their brother knows KH as that game with fighting and a lot of Disney shit. Final Fantasy does not fall into this same category, and just checking some sales numbers will be good information on its flailing popularity in the west.

To tl;dr, and to make my points potentially a bit more clear:
- DQ is fairly ignored
- DQ is not marketed worth a damn
- Largely, where localizations are concerned, DQ is put on the "maybe" block every single time
- FF does not sell well in the west anymore, yet is always localized over titles such as DQ that could sell more with some work
- FF does not have western appeal
- FF does get decent marketing
- FF spinoffs generally suck and shame on you for saying that the myriad of shit they've made is a good thing
- KH is almost all western appeal because Disney Disney Disney
- KH sells well in the west due to the above, and because lots of good marketing
- KH does not sell well in Japan for the same reasons, thus, it will always be localized because NA is where the sales are at

Reactions: Ethevion

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me guess, these remakes are going to get the same RPG Maker "overhaul" Final Fantasy V did on mobile devices, yes? For the love of all that's holy, don't let that happen Square Enix! It looked like some desperate fan remake.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dragon Quest titles aren't even famous among hardcore gamers and they decide to port it for cellphones.
What the hell they have in mind? Do they think casual public will support such ignored franchise?

In my opinion, they should be localizing Dragon Quest Monsters 3D and Dragon Quest VII,
and marketing the hell out of it, that would be the best chance to make the franchise more known, at least for now.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think this is awesome. I don't feel like buying VIII again, and every time I play it through FTP it lags during cutscenes. At least on Android it'll be buttery smooth and as far as I know the same exact thing. You don't have to like it, just don't buy it? It doesn't really affect if they are going to localize the 3DS games. They weren't going to either way. :tpi:

... :hateit:

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

How exactly does a game that has been screwed up so many times in the last decade have more appeal then a franchise that sticks to tradition and it's roots? Final Fantasy stopped being good after 10 while Dragon Quest continues to be consistent rather then trying to reinvent the bloody wheel with every iteration. And again, Dragon Quest sales have dropped off because of poor marketing in the west, not because it isn't good, especially with the
lack of RPG's being released year to year. If Square wants to give DQ more exposure, then they damn well have to market it properly. I remember seeing a reasonable campaign for 8 and 9 respectively, but they did nothing for the Monsters games or any of the DS remakes, and yet they wonder why they don't sell. Don't screw the die hard fans just because like every other corporation all they see is 'dolla dolla bills yo!' with every game they make. And people wonder why the gaming industry is stagnating, because companies out of Japan are too chicken shit to localize games and advertise them and no one wants to innovate or make a great game, everything is just average and lacking in freshness.

Dragon Quest titles aren't even famous among hardcore gamers and they decide to port it for cellphones.
What the hell they have in mind? Do they think casual public will support such ignored franchise?

In my opinion, they should be localizing Dragon Quest Monsters 3D and Dragon Quest VII,

and marketing the hell out of it, that would be the best chance to make the franchise more known, at least for now.

All they care about is money and the largest demographic, even if it doesn't make sense. Here is a wise idea, how about an HD remastered version of the first 8 games for the Wii U, Xbone and PS4? If they want to hit as many players as possible, would not releasing a collection for consoles also be a good idea?

Anyway, the 3DS still doesn't have a huge market outside of Japan yet compared to the DS, maybe when it seems more lucrative for them to translate the games they will do so.

thebsharp

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A turn-based, menu driven RPG on a touch screen? How could they?!

The truth is a lot of parents I know are getting their kids tablets and phones, not 3(or 2)DSes and Vitas. Their main reason? Tablets do more stuff. So why not whore your biggest franchise to a new audience, especially on a platform that it can be played on relatively painlessly? Now if only Pokemon would do the same thing.

Do I think all companies should port their games to mobile devices? Heck no! I can't stand touchscreen controls for any sort of action or platformer. A turnbased RPG, though? Come on... That's not bad.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaaawwwwww YEAH! I just hope that these games can be played in landscape. I refuse to play Dragon Quest 8 in portrait mode. Especially since I would want to play it on my OUYA! I can already play 1-4 on my Wii via NES emulation and 7 on my OUYA via PSOne emulation. I'm still confused as to what platforms were 5 & 6 released for.

(\__ /)___
(o' . 'o)\ __/
(")_(")//

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaaawwwwww YEAH! I just hope that these games can be played in landscape. I refuse to play Dragon Quest 8 in portrait mode. Especially since I would want to play it on my OUYA! I can already play 1-4 on my Wii via NES emulation and 7 on my OUYA via PSOne emulation. I'm still confused as to what platforms were 5 & 6 released for.

(\__ /)___
(o' . 'o)\ __/
(")_(")//
That font is way too bright to be reading at 3am... anywhoo:
DQV: Super Famicom, then PS2, then DS.
DQVI: Super Famicom then DS.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly does a game that has been screwed up so many times in the last decade have more appeal then a franchise that sticks to tradition and it's roots? Final Fantasy stopped being good after 10 while Dragon Quest continues to be consistent rather then trying to reinvent the bloody wheel with every iteration. And again, Dragon Quest sales have dropped off because of poor marketing in the west, not because it isn't good, especially with the
lack of RPG's being released year to year. If Square wants to give DQ more exposure, then they damn well have to market it properly. I remember seeing a reasonable campaign for 8 and 9 respectively, but they did nothing for the Monsters games or any of the DS remakes, and yet they wonder why they don't sell. Don't screw the die hard fans just because like every other corporation all they see is 'dolla dolla bills yo!' with every game they make. And people wonder why the gaming industry is stagnating, because companies out of Japan are too chicken shit to localize games and advertise them and no one wants to innovate or make a great game, everything is just average and lacking in freshness.

All they care about is money and the largest demographic, even if it doesn't make sense. Here is a wise idea, how about an HD remastered version of the first 8 games for the Wii U, Xbone and PS4? If they want to hit as many players as possible, would not releasing a collection for consoles also be a good idea?

Anyway, the 3DS still doesn't have a huge market outside of Japan yet compared to the DS, maybe when it seems more lucrative for them to translate the games they will do so.

"Sticks to tradition and its roots" is a fancy way of saying "dated and rehashed as fuck". While Final Fantasy has definitely taken a turn for the worst, at least they try new things. Dragon Quest is the same thing every time. Which is fine for short bursts, but over a 25 year period? Absolutely not.

And I'm not saying it has more appeal because it's better, I'm saying it does because people buy it more than Dragon Quest. The market has decided, and sometimes the market isn't what you agree with. Deal with it.

Also Dragon Quest is pretty mediocre. Final Fantasy is too but at least it has some good games in the franchise (IV, VI, VII is debatable but still valid, and IX are great main series games) and some amazing spin offs (Dissidia and Dissidia 012, Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy Adventure/Mana, etc).

And all Square Enix cares about is money? Oh man you just learned the first rule of business! Congratulations! Square Enix is in the business to make money, not to please their niche demographic. There's a company that does niche demographics, it's called Atlus. Square Enix are the big boys, the McJRPG that makes things that appeal to large demographics and titles that break the million mark constantly.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's not like Square is forcing you to buy the games, I like Tablet/Smartphone gaming, lots of great gems.

But I want to buy their games, just not on phones or tablets. I've bought and played most of the FF games, some of the DQ games, and the early KH games. I enjoy most of the games that come from SE, definitely not all *cough*FFXIII*cough*. I want to give them my money, just not when the games are on phones.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That font is way too bright to be reading at 3am...
This custom font shlock needs to end - there were instances of members getting officially warned for using them and LightyKD shouldn't be an exception. Unless there's a good reason to use a custom fonts, for God's sake don't use'em.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1