• Replies 71

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The script and grammar in this game is GREAT. At first, I was very confused by "the enemy are defeated", but with a little research (read "Google"), I learned that I was reading a more British English script, which delighted me since I'd never had a video game written like that. Now I know more of the differences between British and American English. It's nice to learn things while playing video games.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
This article may not be about DQ IX, but it does is pertinent to the debate.

Also, I do remember Horri (i think) explaing that the Drgon Quest series' sucess in Japan is mostly due to it's dialog, that captures the innuendos of different people, and that it is difficult to translate into another language (specially English), because the japanese language has different ways of says tha same thing (Watachi for a usual feminine way of saying "I", Ore as a harsh ways of saying "I" for men, Boku as a somewhat cute way of sayin "I" for men, Atakushi a polite way of sayin "I" for women, and so on).

Glitchernator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see anything wrong with the English in Dragon Quest 9.

Remember Dragon Quest 4? It focused more on accents in the dialogue, it gave character to the NPC's you spoke to. It was intentional and the Dragon Quest series is noticeable for that.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
toguro_max said:
Also, I do remember Horri (i think) explaing that the Drgon Quest series' sucess in Japan is mostly due to it's dialog, that captures the innuendos of different people, and that it is difficult to translate into another language (specially English), because the japanese language has different ways of says tha same thing (Watachi for a usual feminine way of saying "I", Ore as a harsh ways of saying "I" for men, Boku as a somewhat cute way of sayin "I" for men, Atakushi a polite way of sayin "I" for women, and so on).
Yeah.
smile.gif
I'd just like to point out that watashi is neutral, and can be used by both men and women, while atashi is used only by women. And boku can be also used by tomboys.
biggrin.gif

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country
sadak5 said:
Hells Malice said:
Ossot said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Neptune said:
Also, since this is released in the US it should be using US spelling of words like "defense" instead of "defence."
It's not just released in the US. Ever heard of Canada?
We spell it as 'defence'. So do the British. Majority wins.

Granted, the OP is a complete fucktard, but...

Canada: ~33mil
UK: ~64mil
Australia: ~21mil
US: ~303mil

Majority wins eh?

Edit: threw in Australia just to try to help even the numbers.

True, but we got the fuckers surrounded!
/jokes

Go by land mass total, not population.
It just...looks nicer that way.

If We are arguing with statistics, you must note that from the 303mil of the US population, How much are not native from the US?
as far as I know, as I'm Mexican, more than the 30 % are not English-native speakers, so all of them have their unique way of speaking, with accents and all.

I have talked with people from US ( I work for a FOREX company in Mexico) and I know people from Grece, India and even Korea, and somethimes they speak better English than some US speakers (not everybody).

Just take this humble opinion in the good way, as it was intended.

India bitches...India. There are hundreds of millions there speaking proper British English just to even the numbers up.

Why does the US feel the need to phoneticise english so much?

FencingFoxFTW

Trophies
XP
Country
Domination said:
The script is great.

Many nice puns in the script. "Angel Falls" and "Jack of Alltrades" made me laugh.

funny

a lot of people hate the overuse of puns

I dont mind that much tho

lman5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is suppose to be like the "midevil" times, where the grammer isn't that swell.
yaynds.gif
Also, the words like defence colour and that are from olden days when world war 2 was going on.
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
GO DS AND DQ
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc