Feedback Downsides to emulating snes/gba on n3ds?

Modular511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the games people inject typically full speed? I know there is official rom support, but its only just a few games, does stuff like mother 3 and earthbound play without input lag/problems?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the games people inject typically full speed? I know there is official rom support, but its only just a few games, does stuff like mother 3 and earthbound play without input lag/problems?
Well SNES is all emulation on 3ds

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For GBA you have multiple options:
  • open_agb_firm
  • Virtual Console injection (New Super Ultimate Injector)
  • mGBA emulator (only makes sense on consoles of the "New" series – might still not be full speed)
  • GBARunner2 (for example in TWiLight Menu++)
I would prefer open_agb_firm for the ease of use and not cluttering the Home Menu with injected games. Both the open alternative and the official Virtual Console run Game Boy Advance titles natively – like a real GBA (the last of it's kind…). The input timing for Mother 3 is accurate in my opinion (I can sometimes successfully do the combo attacks but generally fail doing this on emulators).

I wouldn't recommend using the emulator when the 3DS can simply act as a Game Boy (if you don't need savestate support). GBARunner2 isn't perfect – would use that method only for DSi consoles.

For SNES there is – on the "New" consoles – official Virtual console emulator (use injector mentioned above) while SNES9x is working for all 2|3DS models. SNES9x will struggle on old series consoles for games that came with FX or SA1 enhancement chips. For most other games even old series consoles will give good results. Earthbound/Mother 2 works good in SNES9x – depending on the background animation in battles old consoles struggle a bit keeping full framerate.

Good luck and have fun!

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use the GBA VC and make injects, you aren't actually emulating the GBA games, you're natively booting those games through the hardware that the DS side of the 3DS contains. As mentioned you can also opt for the open_agb_firm method which is essentially playing the games through the same method as VC and injects, though you can kinda keep them contained instead of creating titles to populate your menu as you would through the VC and injects, which may be preferential to your setup. Point is, either means isn't actually emulation for GBA games on the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)