Downgrading Wiikey v1.9g to v1.9b via Recovery?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Lookie401, Feb 29, 2008.

Feb 29, 2008
  1. Lookie401
    OP

Member Lookie401 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The thing I don't like about v1.9g is that it force all backups to be read at 3x. I never have a problem with any backups reading at 6x, the original speed, when I had 1.9b. I only updated the firmware so I can play SSBB-J but loading takes a bit longer in lots of games I play.

Since we can now use the Trucha program to remove that error 001 thing, I was wondering if I can use the Wiikey recovery disc to "downgrade" back to 1.9b (or go back to it's original firmware THEN updating it to 1.9b).

Also, will the game run fine if I only edit the SL version of Brawl, let it load, then swap the untouched DL version on 1.9b or will the error 001 shows up? DVD-/+R DL are a bit pricey and I only want to use them if necessary. I'm going to buy the US copy anyway so I don't want to waste burning another DL (if the Wiikey team doesn't have a new firmware by then I'm going to be using another DL disc to burn the US version anyway :/ ).

Thanks in advance.

2. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Why do you want to use the recovery disc?
    Just put in the normal 1.9b update disc and it would update just like the first time [​IMG]

3. CZroe

Member CZroe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Also, where did you hear that 6x doesn't work on 1.9g? The option is still there on the config disc as far as I can tell. Are you saying that it reads at 3x regardless?

4. Lookie401
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I just figure it out and went ahead and did it. Results are a bit strange.

After I "installed" v1.9b and edit SSBB main.dol file to block the error 001, I put in the disc into the Wii and it starts reading at 6x. I let the game load and when it shows up the Wii Remote precaution screen, I swap the disc to the untouched DL disc and THE DRIVE READ THE DISC AT 3X! :wtf:
    So I swap the edit SL disc back in and the drive read the disc at 6x. I went back and forth with the DL and SL disc and same thing happen. I guess the drive (or perhaps Wiikey itself) are forcing the drive to read at 3x when reading DL disc. This kind of sucks because Brawl have some long loading time and not to mention during some cutscene in SSE the drive need to be able to read both video and audio data fast enough from different location for the video to run smoothly or it runs choppy. o.o

5. Flawsdraw

Member Flawsdraw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I alwasy found that it needs to run slower with DL anyway :| my 360 will only read 2.4x on dual layer, slower eading because of more data to get to so it has to make sure it gets it from both layers securly otherwise it will muddle the data up if it does it to quick

6. Lookie401
    OP

United States
    I never have experience with the 360 (because it isn't "hack") but if you have a good burner (burning at low speed) and good media you or anyone wouldn't run into that kind of problem.

7. hendu

Newcomer hendu Member

United States
    Best post ever

8. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I have a wiikey and updated it to 1.9g.

It does force the speed to x3, even if you use a config and set it to x6, it STILL goes back to x3.

I tried to "update" to 1.9b but could still play SMG, so it did not work.

Next I tried the recovery, and tried SMG again, guess what it STILL plays, as far as I know, there is NO way to "downgrade" to 1.9b from 1.9g and imho 1.9 causes a LOT of problems over 1.9b.

9. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    doesn't force me to load at 3x.. never had any problem or whatever :/

10. Lookie401
    OP

United States
    No, this is. / I forgot to mention that someone have a "hack" 360 and told me that's what they did. This also goes for burning Wii DL games too. [​IMG]