Hacking Downgrading Wiikey v1.9g to v1.9b via Recovery?

Lookie401

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The thing I don't like about v1.9g is that it force all backups to be read at 3x. I never have a problem with any backups reading at 6x, the original speed, when I had 1.9b. I only updated the firmware so I can play SSBB-J but loading takes a bit longer in lots of games I play.

Since we can now use the Trucha program to remove that error 001 thing, I was wondering if I can use the Wiikey recovery disc to "downgrade" back to 1.9b (or go back to it's original firmware THEN updating it to 1.9b).

Also, will the game run fine if I only edit the SL version of Brawl, let it load, then swap the untouched DL version on 1.9b or will the error 001 shows up? DVD-/+R DL are a bit pricey and I only want to use them if necessary. I'm going to buy the US copy anyway so I don't want to waste burning another DL (if the Wiikey team doesn't have a new firmware by then I'm going to be using another DL disc to burn the US version anyway :/ ).

Thanks in advance.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Why do you want to use the recovery disc?
Just put in the normal 1.9b update disc and it would update just like the first time
smile.gif

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, where did you hear that 6x doesn't work on 1.9g? The option is still there on the config disc as far as I can tell. Are you saying that it reads at 3x regardless?

Lookie401

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CZroe said:
Also, where did you hear that 6x doesn't work on 1.9g? The option is still there on the config disc as far as I can tell. Are you saying that it reads at 3x regardless?Yes. 1.9g force the DVD drive to read your backups at 3x. You can tell if the drive is spinning at 3x or 6x by the sounds and touching your Wii while it's loading the disc.
QUOTE(superrob @ Feb 29 2008, 07:58 PM) Why do you want to use the recovery disc?
Just put in the normal 1.9b update disc and it would update just like the first time
smile.gif
Yeah, I just figure it out and went ahead and did it. Results are a bit strange.

After I "installed" v1.9b and edit SSBB main.dol file to block the error 001, I put in the disc into the Wii and it starts reading at 6x. I let the game load and when it shows up the Wii Remote precaution screen, I swap the disc to the untouched DL disc and THE DRIVE READ THE DISC AT 3X! :wtf:
So I swap the edit SL disc back in and the drive read the disc at 6x. I went back and forth with the DL and SL disc and same thing happen. I guess the drive (or perhaps Wiikey itself) are forcing the drive to read at 3x when reading DL disc. This kind of sucks because Brawl have some long loading time and not to mention during some cutscene in SSE the drive need to be able to read both video and audio data fast enough from different location for the video to run smoothly or it runs choppy. o.o

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lookie401 said:
CZroe said:
Also, where did you hear that 6x doesn't work on 1.9g? The option is still there on the config disc as far as I can tell. Are you saying that it reads at 3x regardless?Yes. 1.9g force the DVD drive to read your backups at 3x. You can tell if the drive is spinning at 3x or 6x by the sounds and touching your Wii while it's loading the disc.
QUOTE(superrob @ Feb 29 2008, 07:58 PM) Why do you want to use the recovery disc?
smile.gif
Yeah, I just figure it out and went ahead and did it. Results are a bit strange.

After I "installed" v1.9b and edit SSBB main.dol file to block the error 001, I put in the disc into the Wii and it starts reading at 6x. I let the game load and when it shows up the Wii Remote precaution screen, I swap the disc to the untouched DL disc and THE DRIVE READ THE DISC AT 3X! :wtf:
So I swap the edit SL disc back in and the drive read the disc at 6x. I went back and forth with the DL and SL disc and same thing happen. I guess the drive (or perhaps Wiikey itself) are forcing the drive to read at 3x when reading DL disc. This kind of sucks because Brawl have some long loading time and not to mention during some cutscene in SSE the drive need to be able to read both video and audio data fast enough from different location for the video to run smoothly or it runs choppy. o.o

I alwasy found that it needs to run slower with DL anyway :| my 360 will only read 2.4x on dual layer, slower eading because of more data to get to so it has to make sure it gets it from both layers securly otherwise it will muddle the data up if it does it to quick

Lookie401

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I never have experience with the 360 (because it isn't "hack") but if you have a good burner (burning at low speed) and good media you or anyone wouldn't run into that kind of problem.

hendu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lookie401 said:
I never have experience with the 360 (because it isn't "hack") but if you have a good burner (burning at low speed) and good media you or anyone wouldn't run into that kind of problem.
Best post ever

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a wiikey and updated it to 1.9g.

It does force the speed to x3, even if you use a config and set it to x6, it STILL goes back to x3.

I tried to "update" to 1.9b but could still play SMG, so it did not work.

Next I tried the recovery, and tried SMG again, guess what it STILL plays, as far as I know, there is NO way to "downgrade" to 1.9b from 1.9g and imho 1.9 causes a LOT of problems over 1.9b.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain