Homebrew Downgraded to 9.2U now what?

comp1demon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been reading and watching youtube for a week now. The more I read and watch the more confused I become.

So I have a 10.6 system downgraded to 9.2U that was easy. Thanks to Soundhax. Was easy to get the sound file, make the otherapp and load into HBL and load the SYSdowngrader and go to 9.2U

I actually got a error downgrading, but when it was done it was on 9.2U so I had to make another 9.2U Otherapp.bin file. Load into HBL again, launch the downgrader again and there was ONE file it needed to finish, it did that and I got the - all done, this system will reboot in 10 seconds. SO I am confident my downgrade is 100%.

now where do I go?

DO I need to install and load A9HL? Can I skip A9HL?
I think I want a EMUNAND. Leave my system on 9.2 and use EMUNAND at 11.2 I think is the goal.
Then I think I want Luma3ds, seems to be what everyone recommends.

Am I missing something?

Where do I go from here?

Best tutorials for installing 11.2 emunand?
DO I do A9HL then Luma or just luma on it's own?
Any advice would be appreciated.

I have been out of the scene a long time and there is so much info it is overwhelming..

Last edited by comp1demon,

comp1demon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says below the guide to "Continue to 2.1.0 ctrtransfer"
Click that.

Wow that is a hell of a lot of work.... Looking ahead... How long does all that take?
Also I know someone above wrote not to watch videos but I have seen many videos where they said downgrading to 2.1 is no longer necessary as installing A9HL is "New 3DS A9LH Install Process Much Easier to Perform".
I guess 3ds modding is not as simple as it looks.
What am I in for here?

D

Deleted-379826

Wow that is a hell of a lot of work.... Looking ahead... How long does all that take?
Also I know someone above wrote not to watch videos but I have seen many videos where they said downgrading to 2.1 is no longer necessary as installing A9HL is "New 3DS A9LH Install Process Much Easier to Perform".
What am I in for here?
Not long at all, especially from where you are maybe an hour at most? Also that used to be true that it was easier. They recently find out that method has a high chance of bricking so they removed it from the guide. Just follow the guide to the letter it's worth it. ^_^

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
Trophies
XP
What am I in for here?
  1. DON'T. WATCH. VIDEOS.
  2. You don't have to downgrade to 2.1 to install A9LH, however, it is recommended. There's a higher brick chance if you don't do the downgrade.
I would say, FOLLOW THE GUIDE. The guide always has the best method, and it won't take much longer. The brick risk is really not worth it.

Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

comp1demon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. DON'T. WATCH. VIDEOS.
  2. You don't have to downgrade to 2.1 to install A9LH, however, it is recommended. There's a higher brick chance if you don't do the downgrade.
I would say, FOLLOW THE GUIDE. The guide always has the best method, and it won't take much longer. The brick risk is really not worth it.

WILL DO...

I don't have time for all that right now.. Maybe later tonight...

Thanks!! I will report back!

Xeonhawk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll only take an hour or so to do the process. If you follow the guide word by word meticulously you will not brick. If you have AL9H you'll have no use for an emunand.

comp1demon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll only take an hour or so to do the process. If you follow the guide word by word meticulously you will not brick. If you have AL9H you'll have no use for an emunand.

Explain why please? I thought emunand was a way to run the latest firmware on the console while the system stayed at 9.2?

Thanks

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From 9.2, it doesn't actually take long. Just downgrade to 2.1.0 using ctrtransfer, install A9LH using 2.1.0, then restore that NAND backup and update.

The guide is verbose to make sure you are doing it properly and not forgetting something important, but it's really not bad.

Explain why please? I thought emunand was a way to run the latest firmware on the console while the system stayed at 9.2?

Thanks
There's no reason to stay on 9.2 with A9LH. A9LH is way better than menuhax with a 9.2 SysNAND and an updated EmuNAND.

Basically, the reason you'd need a 9.2 SysNAND before was that 9.2 has an ARM9 exploit that allows launching a CFW. You'd then want an EmuNAND so that your actual console remained on 9.2 and could keep launching the CFW.

With A9LH, the exploit launches an ARM9 payload from the SD card (or CTRNAND) very early in the boot process, before the actual 3DS software boots. Therefore, you can update your SysNAND to the current version and keep the exploit. No need to keep 9.2.

Last edited by Cuphat,
Reactions: Quantumcat

comp1demon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From 9.2, it doesn't actually take long. Just downgrade to 2.1.0 using ctrtransfer, install A9LH using 2.1.0, then restore that NAND backup and update.

The guide is verbose to make sure you are doing it properly and not forgetting something important, but it's really not bad.

There's no reason to stay on 9.2 with A9LH. A9LH is way better than menuhax with a 9.2 SysNAND and an updated EmuNAND.

Basically, the reason you'd need a 9.2 SysNAND before was that 9.2 has an ARM9 exploit that allows launching a CFW. You'd then want an EmuNAND so that your actual console remained on 9.2 and could keep launching the CFW.

With A9LH, the exploit launches an ARM9 payload from the SD card (or CTRNAND) very early in the boot process, before the actual 3DS software boots. Therefore, you can update your SysNAND to the current version and keep the exploit. No need to keep 9.2.

Thanks for the explanation.

I also assume that having a backup of the 9.2U nand from the first step of the whole thing will allow me to flash back to 9.2U if I ever needed to.

Last edited by comp1demon,

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. Keep your 9.2 NAND backup in a safe place - or better yet, multiple safe places. Having a working NAND backup can save you from a lot of fuck ups, especially if you have A9LH (since you can boot into Hourglass9/Decrypt9 and restore it even if most of your NAND is fucked so long as A9LH is still intact).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-