doom

by elhobbs Dec 25, 2014 at 1:42 AM 133,057 Views 857 replies
  1. elhobbs
    OP

elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    That likely means you have the files in the wrong place or you have a modified wad file.

The 3dsx version requires the wad file in the same directory as the 3dsx file. The cia version requires the wad file to be in the exact directory specified in the installation instructions in the link I provided.

2. Lemmingscanfly

Lemmingscanfly Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2018
    Canada
    Mount Olympus
    Directory's good so I must've obtained a modified wad I guess

3. CaptainHIT

CaptainHIT GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2011
    Turkey
    Bursa
    Sadly that latest cia not working here. Before I updated to this it was working well. :(

4. elhobbs
    OP

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    I recommend deleting the /3ds/prboom3ds/prboom.cfg file. You likely either copied the file from a pc, used the sd card in another device, or messed with the video mode in the general menu. only 8 bit video mode is supported. if it gets set higher then you get a corrupted screen. you can always edit it manually in a text editor if you want to track down the setting(s?) to change.

CaptainHIT likes this.
  5. CaptainHIT

CaptainHIT GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2011
    Turkey
    Bursa
    That absolutely did the trick. Thank you. :grog:
    How couldn't I think about it earlier? :(

6. coinblock

coinblock GBAtemp Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Yo, @elhobbs, sorry to be a nuisance, but did you have a chance to look into the problem with doom_weapon_toggles? This is a great port, but accidentally switching to the wrong shotgun all the time when playing Doom 2 is real annoying.

7. elhobbs
    OP

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    Yes, but only to the point that I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you be more specific?

8. coinblock

Sep 4, 2015
    The option in weapons setup to "enable fist/chainsaw & sg/ssg toggle" (doom_weapon_toggles in prboom.cfg) seems to be always enabled. So if you bind the shotgun & super shotgun to different touch screen buttons in Doom 2, hitting the shotgun button will bring up the ssg instead if you are carrying both weapons.

Last edited by coinblock, Jun 3, 2019
  9. Lemmingscanfly

Lemmingscanfly Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2018
    Canada
    Mount Olympus
    While this thread is semi-alive, is there any way to map the function keys?

10. elhobbs
    OP

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    Do you mean F1 etc? There is no input mechanism to generate keys events for F1. What are you trying to accomplish that can’t be done with the available keys/buttons?

11. Lemmingscanfly

Lemmingscanfly Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2018
    Canada
    Mount Olympus
    Maybe I'm thinking of hexen, I have a bad memory, I wanted to hotkey quicksave and quickload.

12. elhobbs
    OP

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    you can change the keys for this in the menu. you could try changing the keyboard/bottom screen layout - and map this to one of the 8 AUX buttons that show on the left and right edges of the screen. I tried to make them big so that you could easily (-ish?) push them without the stylus.

13. coinblock

Sep 4, 2015
    Did you get a chance to investigate that issue with weapon switching I brought up earlier?

14. elhobbs
    OP

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    pushy much? :)
    that settings doesnt appear to do anything...however, I think you can get the desired behavior.
    if you change the 2nd choice weapon from 9 (best shotgun) to 3 (sg) - then pressing 3 will switch to the single shotgun (it will still toggle to ssg if you are on sg already). this may also cause you to not switch to ssg when you pick it up though... I will leave that to you to figure out.

coinblock likes this.
  15. Lemmingscanfly

Lemmingscanfly Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2018
    Canada
    Mount Olympus
    I'm not sure that you can in hexen, it's control options aren't quite as extensive as dooms, it's no big deal though.

16. Searinox

Searinox Dances with Dragons

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    Bucharest
    Whenever I wanted to swap weapons I just pushed the number on the touchscreen(1 for chainsaw and 3 for shotgun) to swap to the alternates(chainsaw <-> fist / shotgun <-> super shotgun).

17. QueenAdrian

QueenAdrian Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2019
    United States
    Is there anything that can be done about the stretched/distorted GUI?

18. elhobbs
    OP

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    Currently? No.
    I was thinking that the hud and menus should be moved to the bottom screen. But I have not been particularly motivated to put any effort into making changes.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That is literally the behavior that they wanted to avoid. But yeah - that is what I do as well.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted