• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Donald Trump impeachment investigation over Ukranian phone call...

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's another big Nothing Burger and the Democratic Party is proudly wearing egg on their faces again.
Entirely wishful thinking on your part. The complaint was thoroughly researched and wholly accurate, though that's not surprising for a CIA official. Several Republican governors have come out in support of an impeachment inquiry, and according to Jeff Flake, at least 35 Republican senators would vote for impeachment if the vote was taken in private. Little by little, cracks in the dam are starting to show.

There's also a former advisor to Zelenskiy who states that it was understood a Biden investigation was a pre-condition to the phone call taking place at all. Which is at least as reliable as your anonymous source in the Time article you posted.

Oh, and there's a developing story involving a second whistleblower complaint, in regards to Trump trying to keep his tax returns secret. It won't take long for things to start spiraling out of control for the White House now that an impeachment inquiry gives the House additional powers by which to gather evidence. Assuming it's not out of their control now, that is. Fox News is already having on-air screaming matches and mental breakdowns.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: IncredulousP

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Entirely wishful thinking on your part. Several Republican governors have come out in support of an impeachment inquiry, and according to Jeff Flake, at least 35 Republican senators would vote for impeachment if the vote was taken in private. Little by little, cracks in the dam are starting to show.

There's also a former advisor to Zelenskiy who states that it was understood a Biden investigation was a pre-condition to the phone call taking place at all. Which is at least as reliable as your anonymous source in the Time article you posted.

Oh, and there's also a developing story involving a second whistleblower complaint, in regards to Trump trying to keep his tax returns secret. It won't take long for things to start spiraling out of control for the White House now that an impeachment inquiry gives the House additional powers by which to gather evidence.
We'll have to wait and see. Personally I welcome any and all inquiries and other assorted time wasting as it gives my candidate additional screen time, for free. Many commentators on the left side of the aisle are certain that pushing the matter of impeachment further will only bolster Trump in the 2020 election, I happen to share that opinion. As for your claim that some Republicans have changed their tune as far as impeachment is concerned, I haven't heard one state so in public, but I have heard some Democrats state that now's not the time for these kinds of games. I won't lose any sleep either way - when faced with a choice between the Democratic Party and the Republican Party I will choose Mario Party 100% of the time. Trump has my unwavering support specifically because he's just so damn funny, I want him to be President forever.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Many commentators on the left side of the aisle are certain that pushing the matter of impeachment further will only bolster Trump in the 2020 election, I happen to share that opinion.
Support for impeachment has gone up 7 points since it was announced, and it was already much higher than early support for impeaching Nixon or Clinton. So wherever you heard this opinion, it seems to have been wild speculation at best, neoliberal nonsense utterly detached from reality at worst.

when faced with a choice between the Democratic Party and the Republican Party I will choose Mario Party 100% of the time. Trump has my unwavering support specifically because he's just so damn funny, I want him to be President forever.
I've always loved some good stand-up and comedy movies, but I've literally never once heard Trump make a decent attempt at a joke. Your sense of humor must be on an entirely different spectrum, because all I see is anger and/or stupidity on a level that even GWB couldn't match. Regardless, treating the presidency like a reality TV show is a surefire way to expedite the United States to the garbage bin of history. There are countless better options for entertainment available on TV and the internet.

Last edited by Xzi,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Support for impeachment has gone up 7 points since it was announced, and it was already much higher than early support for impeaching Nixon or Clinton. So wherever you heard this opinion, it seems to have been wild speculation at best, neoliberal nonsense utterly detached from reality at worst.

I've always loved some good stand-up and comedy movies, but I've literally never once heard Trump make a decent attempt at a joke. Your sense of humor must be on an entirely different spectrum, because all I see is anger and/or stupidity on a level that even GWB couldn't match. Regardless, treating the presidency like a reality TV show is a surefire way to expedite the United States to the garbage bin of history.
Americans in general are split on whether the impeachment proceedings should take place - only 4% Republicans and (predictably) 73% of Democrats support the idea.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...dont-want-trump-impeached-removed/2438970001/

I consider what's going on right now to be another permutation of posturing. As for the Reality TV claim, for once the general population is paying attention to the news, that's a good thing.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Americans in general are split on whether the impeachment proceedings should take place - only 4% Republicans and (predictably) 73% of Democrats support the idea.
Amounting to roughly 43% support overall. IIRC support for impeaching Nixon at the beginning of the process was at less than 10%, and by the end of the process was over 70%. The shit has not even begun to hit the fan where Trump's impeachment proceedings are concerned.

As for the Reality TV claim, for once the general population is paying attention to the news, that's a good thing.
Of course a train wreck presidency is going to be good for ratings, but for a lot of the US, the realization still hasn't yet kicked in that we're all aboard that train. America's reputation may never recover, and we may never reclaim our position as a leader on the world stage. As a result, countries like China and India, currently in the middle of committing their own acts of genocide for those unaware, will seize more power in the US' absence.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Amounting to roughly 43% support overall. IIRC support for impeaching Nixon at the beginning of the process was at less than 10%, and by the end of the process was over 70%. The shit has not even begun to hit the fan where Trump's impeachment proceedings are concerned.

Of course a train wreck presidency is going to be good for ratings, but for a lot of the US, the realization still hasn't yet kicked in that we're all aboard that train. America's reputation may never recover, and we may never reclaim our position as a leader on the world stage. As a result, countries like China and India, currently in the middle of committing their own acts of genocide for those unaware, will seize more power in the US' absence.
If anything, America is currently regaining its foothold as a world leader after years of pushover politics and promises of "flexibility" made to strategic enemies to foster some support from superpowers with interests diametrically opposed to those of the western world (during an election year I might add - I'm looking at you, Barack). Trump put the country on the road to normalcy, what we're seeing right now in the Democratic party is symptoms of withdrawal, hence the staggering *70% difference* in opinion polls. All a matter of which side of the fence you sit on, of course - I'll be entertained by either outcome of this show.

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you really that ignorant? Made up their own script? Yeah, nice try. That one was already debunked. Did you even watch the hearing? Or nah. Cuz you guys have a very big tendency to know exactly what's going on without ever reading any reports or things of that nature.
Are you really that brainwashed to not even watch the Congressional hearings yourself? Adam Schiff sat in front of the house and on live TV, and then read off his interpretation of the transcript as if that's what really happened to purposely lie to those that blindly believe anything the Democrats say. He later said it was a parody, but that was just a copout as the entire Democrat ran House is a joke.
I find it very ironic that you accuse me of thinking I know all the answers without being informed on the truth when liberals, including you, only get your info from CNn, MSNBC, and other liberal news sources that tend to leave out important pieces of information on matters such as this.

Last edited by morvoran,

billapong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it very ironic that you accuse me of thinking I know all the answers without being informed on the truth when liberals, including you, only get your info from CNn, MSNBC, and other liberal news sources that tend to leave out important pieces of information on matters such as this.

Yeah, all they did was cherry pick information, leave out a bunch of stuff and link things together that were taken out of context. Meaning, they made shit up out of thin air.

It's the same thing they did with the "go back to the countries you came from" and leaving out "then come back and tell us how it's done" Tweet fiasco. They deliberately left out 1/3 of the information to make what Trump said look bad. That's a dishonest tactic that I see right through. They're lying pieces of shit that are full of shit.

Last edited by billapong,

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the same thing they did with the "go back to the countries you came from" and leaving out "then come back and tell us how it's done" Tweet fiasco. They deliberately left out 1/3 of the information to make what Trump said look bad. That's a dishonest tactic that I see right through. They're lying pieces of shit that are full of shit.
Oh, don't forget the classics like:

"All mexicans are rapist, murderers, and bringing drugs over the border" when he said that Mexico was sending their bad people "with some good". He never implied "all" mexicans were bad.

The time he said white supremacists and neo-nazis were "fine people" when he only stated that there were good people on both sides while condemning white supremacy, neo-nazis, and racists after the Charlottesville fiasco (which only was a big issue due to Antifa attacking innocent protestors).

The time he said Robert E Lee was "a good person" when he really said that he was a "good General".

The time he colluded with Russia to influence the 2016 election when it was really the Clintons and other democrats that did.

The time he was accused of pressuring the president of Ukraine when he just had a normal chat with him when it was really Joe "30330" Biden that pressured Ukraine to fire a prosecutor using our tax dollars.

The Democrats are the worst thing to happen to this country since we chased the British out. They are all pathetic liars only looking for power over the powerless and easily brainwashed (of which there are quite a lot here).

Last edited by morvoran,

billapong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Democrats are the worst thing to happen to this country since we chased the British out. They are all pathetic liars only looking for power over the powerless and easily brainwashed (of which there are quite a lot here).

Maybe they believe their own bullshit? I mean, maybe they are all so stoned that they honestly can't comprehend reality? I dunno, it just seems really hard to find a logical explanation of why Liberals are so full of shit. Maybe these mistakes in misquoting and relaying false information is the best their little poor brains are capable of. Maybe they are being honest, but they're just fucking stupid?

Reactions: CallmeBerto

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they believe their own bullshit? I mean, maybe they are all so stoned that they honestly can't comprehend reality? I dunno, it just seems really hard to find a logical explanation of why Liberals are so full of shit. Maybe these mistakes in misquoting and relaying false information is the best their little poor brains are capable of. Maybe they are being honest, but they're just fucking stupid?

Oh, trust me, they really believe this nonsensical crap. Not just on this site, but on other sites that I'm involved with as well, all liberals are the same. They blindly follow their leaders to the edge of the cliff and jump off when told to without bothering to check if it's safe. They are easily brainwashed by propaganda and have blind trust in their "superiors" just in the hopes of getting "free stuff" like healthcare, welfare checks, etc.
Just look up the book titled "Animal Farm". That is the guidebook for all Democrat leaders where they learn to lead their "sheep to the slaughter" with propaganda.

This is a big difference between the liberals and conservatives - Liberals need leaders where conservatives have the desire to lead themselves. I never truly understood the meme of NPC's, but now, it amazes me how much like NPC's liberals are in reality. They take talking points they hear from the likes of Don Lemon, Rachel Maddow, Trevor Noah, etc and just repeat them endlessly such as "Trump's a racist", "orange man bad", "impeach Trump", etc.

It would be incredibly hilarious how ridiculous they are if it wasn't also so frightening how they are causing this country to fall into darkness.

Just take into consideration this Ukraine call transcript with how democrats/liberals are saying that it is proof that Trump must be impeached when it was a harmless phone chat with no persuasion, bribery, etc, but the democrats are insisting it has a hidden, nefarious, underlying message. They say Trump is "dog whistling" his voters when it is really the Dems who are dog whistling theirs with nonsense such as this.

Last edited by morvoran,

RationalityIsLost101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you really that brainwashed to not even watch the Congressional hearings yourself? Adam Schiff sat in front of the house and on live TV, and then read off his interpretation of the transcript as if that's what really happened to purposely lie to those that blindly believe anything the Democrats say. He later said it was a parody, but that was just a copout as the entire Democrat ran House is a joke.

Schiff did use a paraphrased hyperbole or in his words 'parody' in his opening statement: 4:00-5:15 in the PBS version of the hearing's opening statement on YouTube for reference.

"Well it reads like a classic organized crime shakedown, shorten of it's rambling character in not so many words, the essence of what the president communicates - We've been very good to your country, very good, no other country has done as much as we have. But you know what I don't see much reciprocity here. I here what you want, I have a favor I want from you. And I'm only going to say this seven times so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent, understand. Lot's of it. On this and on that (SIC), I'm not going to put you in touch with just any people, I am going to put you in touch with The United States, My Attorney General - Bill Barr. He's got the whole weight of the American Law Enforcement behind him. And I'm going to put you in touch with Rudy, you are going to love him, trust me. You know what I'm asking so I am only going to say this a few more times. In a few more ways. And by the way don't call me again. I'll call you when you've done I ask. This is in some in character of what the President was trying to communicate with the President of Ukraine. It would be funny, if it wasn't such a graphic betrayal of the President's oath of office."

He prefaced this with an abundantly clear characterization of the call not a quote. A statement that is 9min long and only had 1min15sec of 'parody'. The rest of the opening statement is entirely proper and appropriate. Something nonetheless that was cringe-worthy to watch, given the context of the gravity of the situation and how pure quotes from the transcript with context that he provided legitimately in his opening statement are more than enough for the public to grasp. But it wasn't totally inaccurate either as characterizations go. I could point out specific quotes of the transcript that would allude to each characterized portion if needed, I don't think that's necessary but I'm willing nonetheless. If your only defense is just a partisan defense of Trump, that Adam Schiff wasn't totally honest with pure facts with the american public, then you may want to rethink this... position. If it is to show an inappropriate summarized characterization in the context of the setting then I'll concede and agree.

Should he stick to facts and leave the theater for opinion news shows and comedy stand-up? Yes. Does that excuse the broken law by the President of the United States? No. The house is right to open an inquiry, they have a constitutional duty to uphold and given that is a political trial and not a criminal trial. It is only a court of opinion. The framing that will be set will be a simple one. 'No one is above the law.' If the senate disagrees then they will vote to turn down the conviction. There's not really more to say. I'm not sure if rules allow outside links by new users but I list in the earlier post the law that was violated.

§ 110.20 Prohibition on contributions, donations, expenditures, independent expenditures, and disbursements by foreign nationals (52 U.S.C. 30121, 36 U.S.C. 510).

Just keep in mind that career politicians outnumber 'justice democrats' or 'trump republicans' - I don't expect them to do anything except what the donors desire. Anyone who expects otherwise, well just look at the military re-appropriation of funds for Trump's border wall. It got shutdown in the Republican Senate. Trump doesn't own the party as much as people perpetrate. It was just easier to join the populist movement of Trump and still get what they want, less governmental regulation and lower corporate taxes. As long as they don't really have to pay for the border wall or any other costly projects (medicare-for-all, student loan forgiveness, etc.) win-win in their eyes.

Ukraine call really isn't a party issue. Either soliciting a foreign entity to assist in a manner that could benefit a domestic election is illegal or not. If the country holds Trump accountable for it they better be prepared to hold everyone accountable even within their preferred party going forward. I don't want anyone to break our laws, if they find them unfair - change them through legislative process or deal with it. It's just that simple.

If people want to scream for a party to help fulfill identity issues that's fine, but historical precedents that get set eventually go both ways. An analogy I often refer to - For every person that screams 'I want my kids to have prayer in schools'. Okay, but are you going to let other religions such as Islam and Hinduism also lead in prayer in public institutions? If so, then go fight for it.

Might seem unrelated basically
- to all republicans that choose to side to acquit, you will let democrats do this in future elections and have ground to stand on despite if it is against the law.
- to all democrats that choose to impeach, you will need to hold everyone, even your own party accountable to this law, no matter the political cost in future elections.

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could point out specific quotes of the transcript that would allude to each characterized portion if needed
OH, I would love to read how you were told to interpret how any quotes in the call transcript were nefarious in meaning.

Does that excuse the broken law by the President of the United States? No.
What laws did he break?

§ 110.20 Prohibition on contributions, donations, expenditures, independent expenditures, and disbursements by foreign nationals (52 U.S.C. 30121, 36 U.S.C. 510).
If this is the law you're talking about, I would like to know where in the transcript this law was broken. I can show you a video of Biden bragging about using our tax dollars to influence a foreign country.

Ukraine call really isn't a party issue. Either soliciting a foreign entity to assist in a manner that could benefit a domestic election is illegal or not.
Good thing Trump didn't solicit any foreign country to influence an election then. He has too much integrity for that. Too bad that the Clintons and Obama don't have as much integrity as Trump. Maybe, we wouldn't be going through this mess right now and actually working together to Make America Great Again without all these unnecessary interruptions.

Last edited by morvoran,

billapong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ukraine call really isn't a party issue. Either soliciting a foreign entity to assist in a manner that could benefit a domestic election is illegal or not. If the country holds Trump accountable for it they better be prepared to hold everyone accountable even within their preferred party going forward. I don't want anyone to break our laws, if they find them unfair - change them through legislative process or deal with it. It's just that simple.

That's assuming that Trump was going to use any information obtained against Biden in a direct competition. Biden might or might not be his political opponent (or has he won the Democratic primaries?). Maybe Trump was just trying to get to the bottom of what started the Mueller situation? Well, that's speculation on my behalf, but it's also speculative of the Democrats to assume otherwise.

I could say that I believe someone might in the future kill someone else based on misquoted and deliberately misrepresented information, but that doesn't make the person I'm saying is going to commit a murder an actual murderer. It just makes me a presumptive asshole.

Last edited by billapong,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

RationalityIsLost101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH, I would love to read how you were told to interpret how any quotes in the call transcript were nefarious in meaning.

If you mean to discredit my statement by stating I cannot conclude on my own accord that solicitation of aid in investigating a political rival by reading the released transcript, then we can't have a discussion as there is no trust to continue in good faith. That's your prerogative, but English language is something I have a credible grasp on. Enough to understand the context and the literal implications presented.

If this is the law you're talking about, I would like to know where in the transcript this law was broken. I can show you a video of Biden bragging about using our tax dollars to influence a foreign country.

---------

Foreign national means—

i.A foreign principal, as defined in 22 U.S.C. 611(b); or

ii.An individual who is not a citizen of the United States and who is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence, as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20); however,

iii.Foreign national shall not include any individual who is a citizen of the United States, or who is a national of the United States as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(22).

---------

Is President Zelenskyy, The President of Ukraine a 'Foreign National'? Yes, he is.

Below is a quote from the transcript:

"The President: Good because I heard you had a prosecutor

who was very good and he was shut down and that's really unfair.

A lot of people are talking about that, the way they shut your

Very good prosecutor down and you had some Very bad people

involved. Mr. Giuliani is a highly respected man. He was the

mayor of New York City, a great mayor, and I would like him to

call you. I will ask him to call you along with the Attorney General.

Rudy very much knows what's happening and he is a very

capable guy. If you could speak to him that would be great. The

former ambassador from the United States, the woman, was bad

news and the people she was dealing with in the Ukraine were bad

news so I just want to let you know that The other thing,

There's a lot of talk about Biden's son, that Biden stopped the

prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so

whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great.

Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if

you can look into it ... It sounds horrible to me."

This is clear with or without context of US and Ukraine's power-imbalanced relationship shown throughout the transcript. There isn't a need for quid pro quo so please don't bother. Just requesting a foreign national to gather information on a political rival in an upcoming election violates the clause listed below. The only legal argument at stake is does this request to gather information on a political rival constitute as an 'other thing of value'. Given that it can help influence an election in favor of the president if something damning is in fact produced then yes. The request is made in context of Trump watching Biden beating him in polls on all media outlets, including Fox News. I don't care to discuss validity of polls so spare us from that detraction as well. The purpose is to show he had motive to expect this information to benefit himself and requested a 'Foreign National' to investigate this. It doesn't matter if he ever intended to use it. It still has a prospective tangible value of aid in the upcoming election and was requested by a 'Foreign National'.

----

Knowingly means that a person must:

i. Have actual knowledge that the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national;

----

The Act and Commission regulations include a broad prohibition on foreign national activity in connection with elections in the United States. 52 U.S.C. § 30121 and generally, 11 CFR 110.20. In general, foreign nationals are prohibited from the following activities:

• Making any contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or making any expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement in connection with any federal, state or local election in the United States;
  • Making any contribution or donation to any committee or organization of any national, state, district, or local political party (including donations to a party non-federal account or office building account);
  • Making any disbursement for an electioneering communication;
  • Making any donation to a presidential inaugural committee.
Soliciting, accepting, or receiving contributions and donations from foreign nationals

The Act prohibits knowingly soliciting, accepting or receiving contributions or donations from foreign nationals. In this context, "knowingly" means that a person:

Has actual knowledge that the funds solicited, accepted, or received are from a foreign national;

Is aware of facts that would lead a reasonable person to believe that the funds solicited, accepted, or received are likely to be from a foreign national; or

Is aware of facts that would lead a reasonable person to inquire whether the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national.

----

I've already outlined the appropriate platform of how to investigate a former VP who is also a political rival in an upcoming election. Please refer to my former post.

Just to reiterate it again for clarity: If the president wishes to investigate VP Biden he has Bi-partisan congressional hearings that can do so on the country's behalf. Asking this to be mediated between a foreign government and your personal lawyer with the US Attorney General is not appropriate. It is intellectually dishonest to say otherwise.

Also as frustrating as this may come to some, I won't equivocate the behavior of one to justify another. Please refrain from 'whataboutism' if there isn't a specific point beyond deflection. Should Biden be investigated in a bipartisan congressional committee. In my opinion, sure, if I was him I would welcome/demand it if he knew it would clear his name and he was innocent. If it did not clear him, then great, we get one less corrupt candidate out of our elections. I'm an equal opportunity follow the law person. As we all should be. I strive to present this explanation with upmost clarity.

I regret I can't provide easy to follow links, but quick google search will provide information I referenced from the US FEC.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's assuming that Trump was going to use any information obtained against Biden in a direct competition. Biden might or might not be his political opponent (or has he won the Democratic primaries?). Maybe Trump was just trying to get to the bottom of what started the Mueller situation? Well, that's speculation on my behalf, but it's also speculative of the Democrats to assume otherwise.

I could say that I believe someone might in the future kill someone else based on misquoted and deliberately misrepresented information, but that doesn't make the person I'm saying is going to commit a murder an actual murderer. It just makes me a presumptive asshole.

Please see my prior post. But I will concede there is a specific reason I haven't mentioned the 'can you do me a favor' line and then mentions CrowdStrike and a potential Ukrainian Server. I'm only presenting something that is pretty black and white. Not to run wild with speculation. I appreciate your point as it is credible. Just not with Trump's request regarding Biden.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd and Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you mean to discredit my statement by stating I cannot conclude on my own accord that solicitation of aid in investigating a political rival by reading the released transcript, then we can't have a discussion as there is no trust to continue in good faith. That's your prerogative, but English language is something I have a credible grasp on. Enough to understand the context and the literal implications presented.

---------

Foreign national means—

i.A foreign principal, as defined in 22 U.S.C. 611(b); or

ii.An individual who is not a citizen of the United States and who is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence, as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20); however,

iii.Foreign national shall not include any individual who is a citizen of the United States, or who is a national of the United States as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(22).

---------

Is President Zelenskyy, The President of Ukraine a 'Foreign National'? Yes, he is.

Below is a quote from the transcript:

"The President: Good because I heard you had a prosecutor who was very good and he was shut down and that's really unfair. A lot of people are talking about that, the way they shut your very good prosecutor down and you had some Very bad people involved. Mr. Giuliani is a highly respected man. He was the mayor of New York City, a great mayor, and I would like him to call you. I will ask him to call you along with the Attorney General. Rudy very much knows what's happening and he is a very capable guy. If you could speak to him that would be great. The former ambassador from the United States, the woman, was bad news and the people she was dealing with in the Ukraine were bad news so I just want to let you know that The other thing, there's a lot of talk about Biden's son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great. Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it ... It sounds horrible to me."

This is clear with or without context of US and Ukraine's power-imbalanced relationship shown throughout the transcript. There isn't a need for quid pro quo so please don't bother. Just requesting a foreign national to gather information on a political rival in an upcoming election violates the clause listed below. The only legal argument at stake is does this request to gather information on a political rival constitute as an 'other thing of value'. Given that it can help influence an election in favor of the president if something damning is in fact produced then yes. The request is made in context of Trump watching Biden beating him in polls on all media outlets, including Fox News. I don't care to discuss validity of polls so spare us from that detraction as well. The purpose is to show he had motive to expect this information to benefit himself and requested a 'Foreign National' to investigate this. It doesn't matter if he ever intended to use it. It still has a prospective tangible value of aid in the upcoming election and was requested by a 'Foreign National'.

----

Knowingly means that a person must:

i. Have actual knowledge that the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national;

----

The Act and Commission regulations include a broad prohibition on foreign national activity in connection with elections in the United States. 52 U.S.C. § 30121 and generally, 11 CFR 110.20. In general, foreign nationals are prohibited from the following activities:

• Making any contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or making any expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement in connection with any federal, state or local election in the United States;
  • Making any contribution or donation to any committee or organization of any national, state, district, or local political party (including donations to a party non-federal account or office building account);
  • Making any disbursement for an electioneering communication;
  • Making any donation to a presidential inaugural committee.
Soliciting, accepting, or receiving contributions and donations from foreign nationals

The Act prohibits knowingly soliciting, accepting or receiving contributions or donations from foreign nationals. In this context, "knowingly" means that a person:

Has actual knowledge that the funds solicited, accepted, or received are from a foreign national;

Is aware of facts that would lead a reasonable person to believe that the funds solicited, accepted, or received are likely to be from a foreign national; or

Is aware of facts that would lead a reasonable person to inquire whether the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national.

----

I've already outlined the appropriate platform of how to investigate a former VP who is also a political rival in an upcoming election. Please refer to my former post.

Just to reiterate it again for clarity: If the president wishes to investigate VP Biden he has Bi-partisan congressional hearings that can do so on the country's behalf. Asking this to be mediated between a foreign government and your personal lawyer with the US Attorney General is not appropriate. It is intellectually dishonest to say otherwise.

Also as frustrating as this may come to some, I won't equivocate the behavior of one to justify another. Please refrain from 'whataboutism' if there isn't a specific point beyond deflection. Should Biden be investigated in a bipartisan congressional committee. In my opinion, sure, if I was him I would welcome/demand it if he knew it would clear his name and he was innocent. If it did not clear him, then great, we get one less corrupt candidate out of our elections. I'm an equal opportunity follow the law person. As we all should be. I strive to present this explanation with upmost clarity.

I regret I can't provide easy to follow links, but quick google search will provide information I referenced from the US FEC.

Please see my prior post. But I will concede there is a specific reason I haven't mentioned the 'can you do me a favor' line and then mentions CrowdStrike and a potential Ukrainian Server. I'm only presenting something that is pretty black and white. Not to run wild with speculation. I appreciate your point as it is credible. Just not with Trump's request regarding Biden.
Read the regulation you've correctly quoted and find the hole in your reasoning. House Democrats already have upon receiving the transcript and the complaint, which is why they backed off from the criminality argument and moved on to the "there doesn't need to be a quid pro quo to impeach Trump/negative effect on national security/not presidential conduct" narrative. I've explained it before in the thread. You've also cut out a sizeable bit of context from the conversation - they're talking about the 2016 hacks and corruption in Ukraine in general here, Biden is mentioned in passing as an example.

RationalityIsLost101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the regulation you've correctly quoted and find the hole in your reasoning. House Democrats already have upon receiving the transcript and the complaint, which is why they backed off from the criminality argument to the "there doesn't need to be a quid pro quo to impeach Trump/negative effect on national security/not presidential conduct narrative. I've explained it before in the thread. You've also cut out a sizeable bit of context from the conversation - they're talking about the 2016 hacks and corruption in Ukraine in general here, Biden is mentioned in passing as an example.

I felt it improper to paste the entire transcript when the point in question revolved around that portion. I encourage people to read it in it's entirety for themselves. Then read up on Ukraine/US relations and reread it for additional context. I cannot stress however that even in isolation it is an apparent request for assistance from a foreign national on a political rival in an upcoming election.

Yes there doesn't need to be there doesn't need to be a quid pro quo to impeach Trump/negative effect. However, the criminality of this is not absolved. The statue I provided does not need a Quid Pro Quo to be violated. Only a request. This request was explicitly given in the transcript. I'll take some time to determine how to better highlight this as it was really straightforward to me but I also read this stuff more often than most.

Has actual knowledge that the funds solicited, accepted, or received are from a foreign national; (for full context please see the statue pasted in prior post I made)

Ok. The key word is Solicited. He never accepted or received aid from the Ukrainian President/Government to my knowledge so we aren't discussing this. I think that is where the hangup is - We are reading that phrase and you are concentrating on the latter conditionals. Note this is an OR statement. Any conditions will apply. If it sounds like I am being condescending by over-explaining, please ignore, as I'm just trying to add clarity to avoid further confusion.

Again, I apologize that I cannot link to it, due to forum guidelines for newcomers, but do encourage anyone participating to take the time to read it in its entirety. I should be able to provide links on any subsequent posts going forward.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hahaha!!! I watched it myself, and if you think the interpretation was misleading, I have to wonder who the brainwashed one is. Purposely lie, and even if he did, I'm not so sure that I haven't seen a more hypocritical statement in my life. As if Trump and his entire administration have told no lies. If you're going to point fingers - you may wish to use something your retard goblin of a "president" hasn't done himself.

Ahhhhhhhh. The same old same old "You only watch blah blah blah blah for your news sources!!!" C'mon. Really? You're boring me already. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Seems you do not know the proper usage of "ironic". Try again.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nope.
RnjxEUO.png

https://freebeacon.com/politics/abcs-bombshell-ukraine-story-falls-apart/

Intelligence community's pfficial form for submitting whistleblower complaints, which has always required first-hand knowledge and that hearsay would be rejected, was changed just in time for this complaint.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/2...rement-of-first-hand-whistleblower-knowledge/

https://twitter.com/ClimateAudit/status/1177580473566093312

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nope.
RnjxEUO.png

https://freebeacon.com/politics/abcs-bombshell-ukraine-story-falls-apart/

Intelligence community's pfficial form for submitting whistleblower complaints, which has always required first-hand knowledge and that hearsay would be rejected, was changed just in time for this complaint.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/2...rement-of-first-hand-whistleblower-knowledge/

https://twitter.com/ClimateAudit/status/1177580473566093312
Not that it's a huge surprise, we knew ABC was full of it since yesterday, but they refused to retract the story. It should've been rejected from the get-go based on what the actual cabinet in question is saying - they had grounds to believe the freeze was related to a completely different matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-