Does overclocking the GPU improve performance in Retroarch?

captain_obvious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my understanding emulation is a CPU intensive task and in my experience CPU overclocking works miracles making unplayable games playable. Maybe rendering 3D games at a higher resolution requires a GPU overclock. Have you tried it before? How did it go?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on the system, won't do shit for 8/16 bit systems, may help systems with 3D rendering like you said. I think I used it for N64 with increased resolution to Switch native etc.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
GPU OC increase shader transfer speed alot in citra which increases performance, only tried Metroid 2 Returns tho.

Mikester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overclocking the GPU can indeed boost performance in Retroarch, particularly for more demanding cores or enhancing graphics with shaders and filters. However, it's crucial to monitor temperatures and stability, as overclocking increases power consumption and heat output, which could lead to hardware issues if not managed properly.
However, the true game-changer came when I explored Nebius AI's cloud platform for my project needs.

At the heart of my venture into the cloud, Nebius AI stood out with its readiness to empower my projects using NVIDIA® H100 Tensor Core GPUs. This advanced hardware has significantly sped up my computing tasks, backed by an infrastructure that boasts a 3.2 Tbit/s speed per host through its multi-node interconnection. The result? Faster, more reliable processing that's crucial for my workload.

Last edited by Mikester,

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same experience as people above, personally don’t use shaders to see if GPU OC helps with shaders. But I definitely can notice the improvement in systems like Dreamcast and N64.

Also, I have a day 1 switch and been using sys-clk since it came out and no issues. Even with using OC pretty much daily, my battery surprisingly still averages at least 3hrs and more per charge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...