Does Dolphin have to be installed in order to be used?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Dominator211, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Let me give you some background information here, at my trade school, they have the Microsoft Store as well as a few other interesting things unlocked. Nothing that could harm the network but more access nonetheless, I saw one kid in my class today playing the NES version of Tetris on an emulator. When I asked why he installed an emulator on their system when the login screen specifically tells us not to. I come to find out that particular emulator can be run on a USB drive and doesn't need to be installed, thus overriding the rule. So I got to wondering if dolphin would work in a similar manner and I downloaded a folder from thier website and clicked Dolhpin.exe and it fired right up, but when i used it on two other Computers it said 4 .dll files were missing so Im really wondering what gives here?

2. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    Which DLLs are missing?

And, from the Dolphin FAQ:

"This program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing"
    Dolphin now uses Visual Studio C++ 2015 for Windows compiling, Windows users must have the 64-bit Visual C++ redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 installed in order to use development builds. The runtime has a minimum system requirement of Windows Vista SP2 and Windows 7 SP1.

Also, remember to extract Dolphin's files from the archive to a folder on your computer instead of running Dolphin directly from inside the archive.

"This application has failed to start because XINPUT1_3.dll was not found"
    You need to install the latest DirectX runtime from Microsoft or make sure you have the latest Xbox 360 Controller Driversinstalled.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    I believe one if not both of this were some of the .dlls that sowed up. Yea i extracted from the dolphin master folder into its own subfolder

4. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    Maybe you could install those onto a computer, since they aren't really emulators/games. Not sure about the others, though.

5. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Try a portable version of the program or make one

6. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    does dolphin veen have one of those? or how would i go about making one?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I will honestly take a look when I get there this afternoon

7. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

Here you can get the latest Builds (Latest Stable and Development)

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?nocr=true

The Developement has an Update Feature.Any time you Start Dolphin and it has a new Build available you can automatically Update it.

Thank you.:)

8. MythicalData

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Not by default I believe, but you can find a program that can do it for you easily.
    I haven't needed to do so so I don't have one to reccomend one in particular tbh.

9. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    A application that will make dolphin portable or something that will download the correct. Dll

10. MythicalData

May 11, 2017
    United States
    portable application software. I wouldn't download .dlls from places (In my experience they'll just give you viruses or don't work, but I've only tried it like 2-3 times over the years)
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-portable-app-flash-drive/ I haven't used this , but this may work for you (I'm not entirely sure a portable app will fix your problem though it could)

alexander1970 likes this.
  11. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    So when i got in today everything actually went off without a hitch Other than dolphin making a ~37kb folder on my network drive it ran straight off the .exe Overall a very interesting discovery all around thanks for the help everyone!

MythicalData and banjo2 like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted