Reviving an old issue... Wii crashing while backing up NAND.

Luanicus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The issue: my Wii that I own for over 6 years and a half simply freezes when doing a backup to the SD card.

I wanted to experience for myself how it is to boot up a Wii for the first time... Problem is, I don't want to format a console that I shared so many memories with... Also, my Wii was hacked when I first got it, so it could be harmful to format it in this state.

Years after I got my Wii, I discovered that most emulators actually required the console system image in order to function. For consoles that I didn't own, this basically rendered emulating the games practically useless without the console BIOS, and that inspired me to buy the real hardware. As for the Wii, it inspired me to see how it booted when you booted it out of the factory. To do this, I had to use the NAND backup function on BootMii.

And this is where we are now... I put BootMii on my SD card (which at a certain point it wasn't there), tried to back up my NAND, and...

20221227_183318.jpg

Sorry for the very low quality photo, not even my modern phone can capture well a CRT television set. I do have an HDTV at home, but firstly, I didn't try it on one at the time the photo was taken, and secondly, composite video output on HDTV is subpar.

At first, I seemed hopeful that the backup would be completed safely... even down to the very low number of bad blocks... but right at the end, it gives a couple of "uncorrectable ECC failures"... it crashes! Right at the screen I attached! And I don't even know what is this garbled text right after the last line!

So yeah... I wish I really could have a little help right here... My SD card is a SanDisk 16 GB microSDHC, bus interface I and C10 speed class.

Also, my console never had Priiloader installed, and it remains so by my own choice. I've read in several places that the apps that I use might brick my Wii if Priiloader is installed. Still, do you think it's a good idea to install Priiloader? Does it affect the act of making NAND backups?

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue: my Wii that I own for over 6 years and a half simply freezes when doing a backup to the SD card.
Have you tried with another sd card? With 32gb or lower? Just copy the bootmii files on it and it should boot straight to it.
Did you notice any issues, like freezing crashing outside BootMii? Does it boot to the home menu, play games etc.?
.. Problem is, I don't want to format a console that I shared so many memories with...
No you don't, and it most likely won't fix your problem. So it's better to keep it as is with access to the HBC & BootMii.
Also, my Wii was hacked when I first got it, so it could be harmful to format it in this state.
Yes indeed.
To do this, I had to use the NAND backup function on BootMii.
And this is where we are now... I put BootMii on my SD card (which at a certain point it wasn't there), tried to back up my NAND, and...
At first, I seemed hopeful that the backup would be completed safely... even down to the very low number of bad blocks... but right at the end, it gives a couple of "uncorrectable ECC failures"... it crashes! Right at the screen I attached! And I don't even know what is this garbled text right after the last line!
Did it happen just one time or multiple times, when creating a nand backup?
So yeah... I wish I really could have a little help right here... My SD card is a SanDisk 16 GB microSDHC, bus interface I and C10 speed class.
It's better to use a non-SDHC card if you one, and make sure to check it with h2testw to make sure it's not faulty or defective. And it's formatted as Fat32 32kb cluster size.
I've read in several places that the apps that I use might brick my Wii if Priiloader is installed.
wherever you heard that, it's not correct.
Still, do you think it's a good idea to install Priiloader?
Yes, you should. Use either ModMii to get the necessary files, ir follow the Wii.guide here.
Does it affect the act of making NAND backups?
Not at all.

Also, post a syscheck here.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16