Hacking Does anyone here have a Japanese 4.x Console + GW?

SplashTOMATO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could it be parental control settings?

I have none set, checked multiple times. :<

Some more info, the Japanese 3DS I use for Gateway I bought brand new, it's the Fire Emblem exclusive one. I don't remember what firmware it came with, but I coincidentally had it updated to 4.5 and then left it alone for a year because I use another JP 3DS as my main. Came back to use Gateway with it and it's never been able to successfully update the official firmware in GW mode. I've used Gateway before 2.1 too, and I tried to update the official firmware back then too, but when I did... the update would go through but it stopped reading my Gateway card so I couldn't play game images even though I was in GW mode. So I would have to revert back to the 4.5 Gateway and leave it that way in order to play games. Thought that 2.1 Omega would let me update the official firmware this time, but nope, it comes up as an error every time it shows like 5% on the download progress bar @.@;

Shinitai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I have none set, checked multiple times. :<

Some more info, the Japanese 3DS I use for Gateway I bought brand new, it's the Fire Emblem exclusive one. I don't remember what firmware it came with, but I coincidentally had it updated to 4.5 and then left it alone for a year because I use another JP 3DS as my main. Came back to use Gateway with it and it's never been able to successfully update the official firmware in GW mode. I've used Gateway before 2.1 too, and I tried to update the official firmware back then too, but when I did... the update would go through but it stopped reading my Gateway card so I couldn't play game images even though I was in GW mode. So I would have to revert back to the 4.5 Gateway and leave it that way in order to play games. Thought that 2.1 Omega would let me update the official firmware this time, but nope, it comes up as an error every time it shows like 5% on the download progress bar @.@;
Can you post a picture? Somebody might be able to translate the error message, for what that's worth.

SplashTOMATO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you post a picture? Somebody might be able to translate the error message, for what that's worth.

I know what the error message is, I read japanese fluently |D; It's just a general "error occurred, please shut down the system and restart" kind of thing.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Honestly, I'm wondering if there are any other JP console users with this problem and if there's a solution @.@ Or if there's just something on the JP nintendo side blocking the system from updating while it's on GW mode. I have a 2nd JP 3DS without gateway and it's fully updated to the latest official JP firmware, so I can't see what else would be a problem...
are you sure the internet is set up properly on the 3ds?
but no there is nothing blocking it updating, we can safely assume :)
i'm sure it has nothing at all whatsoever about the 3ds being japanese, people like to get caught up with things like that though

SplashTOMATO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried it on 3 different internet connections (my home, my bf's, and work), all where my non-gateway 3DS can connect to the internet just fine, so I doubt it's that either...
Btw, I tried again tonight with the same result. It gets to downloading the firmware, but after about 5% the error pops out:
エラーが発生したため更新ができませんでした。(An error occured and the update could not be performed)
再起動します。(Restarting)
So yeah... very generic. @.@

I got my Gateway in the same shipment as my BF and he uses his on a 3DS XL. He updated both of us to Omega at the same time and he was able to update his official firmware just fine, while I continue to have this problem orz

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
yeah, how about create dump the nand again, format emunand again etc, and try it all again, nothing to lose right?
maybe even formatting the real system nand before it all too

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, lots of replies since I last looked LOL

So basically, I came across a problem - and that is that Gateway ROMs can't go online. The simple explanation is that Scene ROMs lack a cartridge ID - every retail cartridge has a unique ID which acts as an online key, Nintendo likely implemented that to prevent this sort of piracy after everybody was abusing online features from AceKards and the like.

That being said, if you dump your own retail cartridge using Gateway 2.1, it will dump your cartridge key as well. In theory that's all you need to be able to use online features, BUT, Gateway team hasn't made that functional yet. I've tested it out and still get the same error as before.

So in short, what I'm trying to do won't be possible until this gets fixed. I will try to email Gateway team and ask if it's a simple fix, I know they added support for eshop games very quickly too. Now on that note, sharing a dump of your personal cartridge with anyone else is super risky, because if the two are online at the same time you'll likely get the ID banned and be back to square one, only now with a legal game as well. However, I'm willing to share a dump of my retail cartridge with somebody if GW ever makes a way to use those online keys. The resulting save will be compatible with Scene ROMs and poses no risk to anyone else :lol:

tl;dr thanks for reading this thread but it looks like I need to wait a while

SplashTOMATO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I guess waiting is a safer option huh XD; Like I said before though I do have retail JP Pokemon Y, a non-gateway JP 3DS and a separate Gateway JP 3DS so I can just trade between the two of them, but if it's still safer to see if there's a solution to the Gateway ROM online bit, then that's cool too.

I'll try reformatting the nand to see if it helps! Actually, I took a look at the SD card (it's the one that came with the 3ds) and even though it says 2GB it pretty much only has 1GB, and literally no space left for anything after backing up the nand (876mb)..=_=;;; I wonder if even the nand file is complete... Thanks for all the advice :>

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's not the issue.

There's a thing known as a PID (Pokémon identifier) that will always be unique except in certain cases where it's pre-set (some of the VGC National events had pre-set PIDs).
Even for an event where the Pokémon was always the same, the natures will be random and thus the PID is random. So if you simply trade the Pokémon and I were to clone it for everyone on gbatemp, that would basically flood the game universe with clones, which are obviously not a good thing. Therefore what I'm after is an un-redeemed wonder card, so that everybody can go pick the Pokémon up from the lady themselves and have a unique one that nobody else has. You get what I mean?

With previous games it was never a big deal because you could just download the wonder card file from Project Pokémon and stick it on your .sav, but since 3DS saves are encrypted, there's no way to do that yet, and because this event is time-limited, I want to have something else set up for people to use - if the saves ever ARE decrypted, then you can just pull the wonder card from my save and everyone else can use it XD

Reactions: zhdarkstar

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
With previous games it was never a big deal because you could just download the wonder card file from Project Pokémon and stick it on your .sav, but since 3DS saves are encrypted, there's no way to do that yet, and because this event is time-limited, I want to have something else set up for people to use - if the saves ever ARE decrypted, then you can just pull the wonder card from my save and everyone else can use it XD
i thought you knew about the progress the people at project pokemon have made... they have been able to dump wondercards from saves.
i thought you meant that you had some way that they do not know about, i wasn't quite sure because you didn't explain it in your first post. (as in, i thought you figured out dumping the wondercard data without using a powersaves device - i think it is possible, but the save data on the retail would need to be deleted i think..?)
i assumed you knew that gateway couldn't go online, but now i understand that, honestly no offense, that you don't know super lots about this.
the darkrai wondercard data will get dumped, i'm sure of it :) it's a nice idea of you to try to set this all up, but you should have done a bit more research :)

I'll try reformatting the nand to see if it helps! Actually, I took a look at the SD card (it's the one that came with the 3ds) and even though it says 2GB it pretty much only has 1GB, and literally no space left for anything after backing up the nand (876mb)..=_=;;; I wonder if even the nand file is complete... Thanks for all the advice :>
i wouldn't be surprised at all if that is the problem, put a bigger sd card in :)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can extract wonder cards but you can't inject them... so it's useless.

It shouldn't be hard for Gateway to add online functionality, you would just have to use your own cartridge dump, any of the ones you pirate wouldn't work (and IMO that's a good thing)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
You can extract wonder cards but you can't inject them... so it's useless.

It shouldn't be hard for Gateway to add online functionality, you would just have to use your own cartridge dump, any of the ones you pirate wouldn't work (and IMO that's a good thing)
it might be 'useless' at the moment, sure :) just be patient
when we are able to perfectly re-encrypt our pokemon saves (just one 'key' is stopping us), they will be useful.
i'm sure if gateway do add online, they would find a way to let us go online with scene releases, we will see what happens! :)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you'll ever be able to go online with scene releases. The reason you get that online error is because your "cartridge" (in this case, a ROM) is missing a unique ID that every retail game has.

There might be a way to spoof one, but the chances are very slim.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
afaik, all roms are the same its just the unique id which is different....so if a method for going online is found it wouldn't be too long before a way of adding the unique id to the rom will be added, from what i have read gateway add the unique ID to the header of gateway dump......and gateway have already said
"This is because our dumps are more thorough than any “scene” dumps currently out
there. Again, future proofing our product for what’s yet to come!"

the only thing i can see this being useful for is online play, and i assume gateway would already have it "working" internally before making any hints towards possible future developments, im just wondering if this will effect save games, as currently all gateway cards are using the same unique id for games which is why you can transfer saves with other gateway users, im just wondering if they are hoping to find a fix for the save issue if online is made available as i assume it would break everyone's current saves once the roms are using a "real" unique id........this is all just guessing but from what i have read about how saving and online play work etc this is how i'm seeing it

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i'm not sure we can talk about the chances being slim for online scene releases until that happens, the unique id thing is not the reason gateway cannot go online, since it doesn't even go online with our own dumps. that evo team said they had online working or something, anyway, it's hardly a big stretch to imagine online working for all dumps on gateway one day... :)
maybe it is very strict, and there is a whitelist of unique ids that are allowed to connect online, but, we don't know how it works... so it's all just guessing at the moment.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well just because the unique ID is dumped doesn't mean it's being handled yet, but yeah it's just guesses atm but I doubt they would just start extracting the unique ID if they didn't have plans to use it for anything

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I can get one, but it's pointless unless someone's figured out what I'm trying to do :P
oh sorry, that's the thing :) we can now go online with gateway :)
even so, it was possible without it (at least, dumping the wondercard data, but yes as you said before, it is 'useless' at the MOMENT, but still, one day it will be useful)
but you wanted to have a save with the event on right, but not received, so that people could download the save and recieve it themselves, correct?

it was possible to do this before, maybe, by using a retail cart via classic mode on gateway, whatever, i'm not 100% sure, but, it's possible now.
i wouldn't have wanted to use my retail pokemon to something like this because i didn't have a way to backup or restore my save to it, but now that we can go online with gateway, with our own dumps (i tested my dumped (japanese) pokemon game and it works fine online), and now that we can even backup and restore saves to carts (maybe not working with pokemon, since it is nand saving)

anyway, so sure, i'll be happy to do this if you can get a code :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!