Hacking Does an import DSI matter with a cart?

dman777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am considering buying an import DSI. The menus are in Japanese, so I won't be able to read them. But with my DS lite now, I rarely use the menu DS. Instead I use everything off of my Cyclo DS. If I got the DSI and used a rom flash cart and it's OS, it wouldn't really matter if the DSI is an import or not, right?

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS games are region free, so you'd be alright with those. However, DSi only games/apps will be region specific. It's not certain if the DSi only stuff will be hackable, so you'll probably want to hold off in case Nintendo releases some really killer apps in the form of DLC. At this point in time, DS flash carts, even those which work on the DSi, can only play normal DS games.

Zua531

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
dman777 said:
I am considering buying an import DSI. The menus are in Japanese, so I won't be able to read them. But with my DS lite now, I rarely use the menu DS. Instead I use everything off of my Cyclo DS. If I got the DSI and used a rom flash cart and it's OS, it wouldn't really matter if the DSI is an import or not, right?

I got a DSi for Christmas and I don't understand a bit a Japanese. I you want to use a flashcart on the DSi then you need the Acekard 2i because it is the only flashcard that's out for the DSi. For the other things like DSiWare you really don't need to know Japanese because you can find help anywhere.

Chaykin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
It has been reported that the DSi uses region locking for DSi-specific software, since it provides Internet services tailored individually for each region, but the DSi itself does not have region lock-outs, so Nintendo DS games from any region can be played.
Source: Wikipedia.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well true, current DS stuff is region-free, but DSi-specific games will be region-locked, right? I suppose it isn't something to worry about until the DSi mode is cracked and flash carts start coming out that can access that extra hardware.

Sandman00009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
Well true, current DS stuff is region-free, but DSi-specific games will be region-locked, right? I suppose it isn't something to worry about until the DSi mode is cracked and flash carts start coming out that can access that extra hardware.

if you watched the videos on youtube the games they put it are english games so its prolly region free

RuneEdge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The DSi has a SD card slot and firmware updates like the PSP. Who knows, if the DSi is hacked as much as the PSP was, we might not even need a flash cart. Maybe we'll eventually be able to run roms and homebrew from the internal SD card slot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For real for real