Does an import DSI matter with a cart?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by dman777, Jan 22, 2009.

Jan 22, 2009
  1. dman777
    OP

Newcomer dman777 Advanced Member

United States
    I am considering buying an import DSI. The menus are in Japanese, so I won't be able to read them. But with my DS lite now, I rarely use the menu DS. Instead I use everything off of my Cyclo DS. If I got the DSI and used a rom flash cart and it's OS, it wouldn't really matter if the DSI is an import or not, right?

2. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    DS games are region free, so you'd be alright with those. However, DSi only games/apps will be region specific. It's not certain if the DSi only stuff will be hackable, so you'll probably want to hold off in case Nintendo releases some really killer apps in the form of DLC. At this point in time, DS flash carts, even those which work on the DSi, can only play normal DS games.

3. Zua531

Newcomer Zua531 Newbie

United States
    I got a DSi for Christmas and I don't understand a bit a Japanese. I you want to use a flashcart on the DSi then you need the Acekard 2i because it is the only flashcard that's out for the DSi. For the other things like DSiWare you really don't need to know Japanese because you can find help anywhere.

4. berkley

Newcomer berkley Advanced Member

Canada
    They made the DSi region free, so any card will work with it.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Do you have a source for this info?

6. Chaykin

Newcomer Chaykin Advanced Member

Poland
    Source: Wikipedia.

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Well true, current DS stuff is region-free, but DSi-specific games will be region-locked, right? I suppose it isn't something to worry about until the DSi mode is cracked and flash carts start coming out that can access that extra hardware.

8. Sandman00009

Member Sandman00009 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if you watched the videos on youtube the games they put it are english games so its prolly region free

9. RuneEdge

Newcomer RuneEdge Member

United Kingdom
    The DSi has a SD card slot and firmware updates like the PSP. Who knows, if the DSi is hacked as much as the PSP was, we might not even need a flash cart. Maybe we'll eventually be able to run roms and homebrew from the internal SD card slot.