Hardware Do you consider Switch, XBO X and PS4 PRO as 9th gen or just a continuity of 8th gen

What is the Gen of Switch, XBO X and PS4 PRO

• Total voters

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I consider the concept of "Generations" is obsolete already, as obsolete as the nomenclature of 8/16/32/64/128/256/--- bits for consoles.
I agree with Microsoft, there will probably be no more "generations" but an endless iterative backwards and partially-forwards compatible progression, an ecosystem.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For me it is continuation of the eight generation of consoles. You could theorize that this is the ninth generation of consoles, but would every revision of a console then be a new generation in that case? I see the XBOX One X and the Playstation 4 Pro as a revised and stronger version of their counterpart.

Anyways, if we take any revision minor or not as a new generation of consoles it would not work out with the number in my humble opinion. It would be one hell of a mess since everyone will start going places with their own counting system. :) Because of that and the fact both next 4K consoles are more like a definitive edition of the HD counterparts, I would consider them a part of the eight HD generation. ^_^

The Nintendo Switch is an oddball, I love Nintendo, I love my Switch, I have no clue what generation it belongs to or even if it is considered a console or a handheld console... (Hybrid Generation 1 Anyone?)

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've not really considered Nintendo a part of the console generations since the GameCube. After that, their systems simply haven't been on par with other products. They've always been a part of what I'd call a middle generation.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've not really considered Nintendo a part of the console generations since the GameCube. After that, their systems simply haven't been on par with other products. They've always been a part of what I'd call a middle generation.
yea... since the wii, nintendo made their console with the requirement of their game, wii was not much more powerful tahn xbox original, and wii u wasnt much more powerful than xb360
they didnt took in consideration the games 3rd party would make that require higher requirements

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

updated the poll, change your vote if you prefer the new answer

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9th. 8th was just a pathetically short gen
Actually it was about the normal console gen length, which is usually around 5 years. The 7th gen was abnormal almost twice the length of a standard console generation. Which is unfortunate because many people started with 7th gen, and now they seem to expect a console gen to last that long when they never really have. Go bad and look at previous consoles, you'll see they are all about 5 years other than 7th gen.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually it was about the normal console gen length, which is usually around 5 years. The 7th gen was abnormal almost twice the length of a standard console generation. Which is unfortunate because many people started with 7th gen, and now they seem to expect a console gen to last that long when they never really have. Go bad and look at previous consoles, you'll see they are all about 5 years other than 7th gen.
The Wii U only lasted 4 1/2 years (isn't 6 the average for Nintendo consoles?) and the PS4 Pro was released even before the Switch, even though the PS4 came out after the Wii U

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U only lasted 4 1/2 years (isn't 6 the average for Nintendo consoles?) and the PS4 Pro was released even before the Switch, even though the PS4 came out after the Wii U
PS4 pro is still same gen though. Xbox one x is closer to being a new gen, but it's still too similar to be considered next gen. It's like how the n3ds is the same gen as o3ds, it's just a better revision of the same console. Though with these revisions we may see another extended console gen. Though at this point there isn't much more to go forward in terms of power. Which is mostly the only thing Sony and Microsoft bring with new generations, power. They might have to start doing what Nintendo has been doing for years, innovating how the game is played rather the just pushing the same gameplay with more power. It's why Nintendo still does well (in most cases), because even with the lower power they tend to bring fresh ideas to the hardware and gameplay aspect of the console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol