• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you believe Russia hacked the US election?

What do you think is really going on? Let's get a little political here.

I assume you've all heard of the recent Vermont power grid "hacking" story. A few days ago a Vermont utility company found a russian virus on some guy's computer and (part of) the press extrapolated the fact, turning it into a so-called proof of a Russian conspiracy to hack the US power grid... That title was a fucking clickbait, and I just knew it. But not just your average buzzshit clickbait, a serious fucking one this time. When you read the article it became clear: pure bullshit. No evidence whatsoever, all that happened is that they found a regular virus on a random guy's computer, which happens a million times a day everywhere in the world. A few hours later they retracted, a lot of other sites and agencies stated that there was no such thing as a power grid hack attempt. Those media outlets jumped to conclusions to serve their own agenda, it seems.

Now regarding the "hacking" of the US election. Several US government agencies are claiming it's real. Are we being lied to? Are the FBI and homeland security and others all following orders of a higher instance or do they have actual evidence?
So far, they haven't shared much with the general public. Last week they released a document, which I read, but if you read it too you will find that it's absolutely empty of evidence. All it states is "we found some IP addresses in the logs" and "we found a bit of code that was used before". That amounts to nothing at all.

So why do they keep going on about this?
Do you think these agencies have insights they cant share with the public? could they have informants within the russian goverment? that's one of the few things I can think of that they would never be able to reveal. Or maybe it is just more political bullshit... but what's the point? Trump will take office soon and all this Russia crap isn't working. Apparently Trump has something to say on the subject that he will reveal on tuesday or wednesday. I wonder what that may be.

d7e413a2ab0f4b30b7759b3064fd6b0b.jpg

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole Russia interference is so mysterious. What exactly are people accusing the Russian government of? What does meddling in the US election mean? Putin did not even tell the Americans to vote for Trump. But Obama constantly told other nations who to vote for. Is that interference?
Supposedly a lot of the interference was paid government trolls (yeah, I'm serious) posing as pro-Trump patriots online. It's actually kind of believable, what with how much online communities like Facebook and Flipboard had to do with the election. There's also the obvious WikiLeaks hacks that had no equivalent on the RNC side

And while that particular instance wouldn't count as interference, we have actually removed democratically elected leaders from power and instated our own in various countries, and I'm absolutely not proud of that

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think people are bitter that their candidate didn't win, but if someone else won like Bernie, people would complain and accuse that of being rigged all the same. Doesn't matter who won, people would bitch about it ad nauseum no matter who it was. No matter the party that wins, no one is going to be happy, it's always been that way.

You want to know why I didn't want Clinton to win? Because she supports that damned TPP bullshit, which would've royally screwed over so many people on the internet.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I still think people are bitter that their candidate didn't win, but if someone else won like Bernie, people would complain and accuse that of being rigged all the same. Doesn't matter who won, people would bitch about it ad nauseum no matter who it was. No matter the party that wins, no one is going to be happy, it's always been that way.
Yup, pretty much. Here in France, since Le Pen supporters knew she'd never win, they basically spent the whole campaing saying that the media was campaigning for Macron w/o giving any evidence.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd believe that more if federal agencies hadn't publicly said there was evidence of interference

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd believe that more if federal agencies hadn't publicly said there was evidence of interference

Even so, Clinton being a proponent of that damn TPP was enough for me not to want to see her in power. People tried to investigate her involvement with Benghazi and the mysterious email server deletion and nothing came of that.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of reasons for a lot of people not to want both candidates. I'm not happy with the results, but it's not because of that that I feel like the investigations should continue

I'm gonna be honest and say I f*cking hate politics as a whole, all they do is bring out the worst in people, at least, from what I've seen. I've yet to see any form of political debates that don't end up leaving a sour taste :unsure:

What I often see:
No one agrees on anything
The other party is right and the other party is dead wrong
It's wrong to have opposing opinions to the other party
Agree with me or else you're getting publicly crucified
The list goes on

Not talking about anyone specifically, but political discussions in general

*sigh*

If Trump gets investigated, then it's fair that Clinton does as well.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, 241 votes saying the FBI AND CIA are full of shit? I don't think people know how they work. That or they're just trolls.

It's bad enough people get criticized for supporting one party versus another, it's apparently a crime to have differing views with politics.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The FBI and CIA aren't politicized establishments though

I'm speaking as a generality, these political discussions, having opinions, not agreeing with someone else's views, apparently, is seemingly frowned upon here; the FBI investigated Clinton, sure, but was she held accountable? No, she wasn't.

Fuck political views (doesn't matter what party one supports versus another), I'm done discussing politics, I feel absolutely sick to my stomach, I.... I.....oh man :( Should've kept my sodding mouth shut.

Edit: If people are going to hate me for my different opinions, so be it, I won't stop them.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm speaking as a generality, these political discussions, having opinions, not agreeing with someone else's views, apparently, is seemingly frowned upon here; the FBI investigated Clinton, sure, but was she held accountable? No, she wasn't.
It's more like they investigated her and found nothing worth holding her accountable FOR
Fuck political views (doesn't matter what party one supports versus another), I'm done discussing politics, I feel absolutely sick to my stomach, I.... I.....oh man :( Should've kept my sodding mouth shut.

Edit: If people are going to hate me for my different opinions, so be it, I won't stop them.
I have nothing against you, i actually think you're a pretty decent guy and I learn a lot about your views every time we're in a conversation together. There are just some instances where I feel you're misinformed by propaganda

S

Saiyan Lusitano

What cracks me up is that I saw McCain on Euronews (trashy news) blaming the Russians. Haha.

The Russians must be hella drunk by now with each 'Russian did this, Russian did that.' xD

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more like they investigated her and found nothing worth holding her accountable FOR

I have nothing against you, i actually think you're a pretty decent guy and I learn a lot about your views every time we're in a conversation together. There are just some instances where I feel you're misinformed by propaganda

I don't know if I have or not, as politics isn't my favorite subject at all, even less so when I try to express my opinions. Sometimes, like right now, I feel I'd be better if I just shut my festering gob and right out not express my views at all. Just another
example of being too bloody hard on myself *sigh*.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1