Do you Believe Russia Hacked the US election, Round 2

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ThisIsDaAccount, Jun 6, 2017.

1. ThisIsDaAccount
    OP

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    Hey guys! As I'm sure you guys remember, last January we discussed the government allegations that Russian hackers had interfered in the 2017 US election that put Trump in the Oval Office. In case you missed that, you can find it here. There was a poll at the top of the discussion, and most Tempers (myself included) indicated in it that they found the evidence offered by the US government to not be enough.

Well, the most concrete explanation yet has come out. In this article, TheIntercept claims to have come into ownership of an NSA document outlining a Russian government assault on a vendor of US voting services. It alleges that the cyber attack is known to have come from the Russian government, and not from free spirited hackers as suggested by Russian President Vladmir Putin.

I think it is also worth noting that an arrest has been made relating to the leaking of classified information to a "News Outlet". TheIntercept was not specifically named, but the way the affidavit of the arrest describes the News Outlet contacting the NSA about the story beforehand does line up with how the article describes the NSA was contacted by them.

In light of this, what do you now think about the Russian hacking allegations?

2. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Can we not? Please.

VinsCool likes this.
  3. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I wouldn't exactly call it "hacking the election", since it was just digging up dirt on one of the candidates. While it may have affected the results somewhat, it's only because some voters saw Hillary's true character. And because people like Trump for some reason.

4. ThisIsDaAccount
    OP

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    Agreed, but this article isn't about the DNC email leaks at all, it's about the Russians targeting a vendor of electronic voting services.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I see that people are going to drag this ad nauseum. Just another day, I guess.

6. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Do I believe they hacked the election? No. Did they try? Maybe (not sure). Is it a big deal? No.

7. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    no

8. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's best looking speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Do we really need two threads for the exact same freaking topic? Just go post the recent news over on the original thread. Probably more people will see it there than here as there are quite a few people still watching the original thread.