Do many people really HATE Apple that much?

arogance1

Trophies
XP
Country
My biggest dislike of Apple is the way they bring out something that other phones have had for 10 years and advertise it in a way that suggests they invented it.

"If you don't have FaceTime, you can't talk to others via video chat."
Well actually, I've had video calling for years.

"You need an iPhone 4S so you can use Siri"
I've had voice dialling on my phones for years and it actually understood what I wanted

Reactions: 2 people

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada

Trojan.

Also,
"On execution, the malware checks if the following path exists in the system:
  • /Library/Little Snitch
  • /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode
  • /Applications/VirusBarrier X6.app
  • /Applications/iAntiVirus/iAntiVirus.app
  • /Applications/avast!.app
  • /Applications/ClamXav.app
  • /Applications/HTTPScoop.app
  • /Applications/Packet Peeper.app
If any of these are found, the malware will skip the rest of its routine and proceed to delete itself."​

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Grasp at some more straws finkmac, it's entertaining. Wait no, the word I was looking for is "pathetic".

Just because something is not self-replicating within the system does not mean it's not a threat. Hell, most infections for windows PCs nowadays don't fall under the "virus" classification either, yet modern infections on both systems are more damaging than ever since they change the way the OS works and can remotely send tons of information, including video feeds of the screen. These are serious security concerns.

But just to shut you up anyways, this OSX AV threat list has some under the "virus" classification.
http://www.iantivirus.com/threats/

And to dispel the whole idea that OSX is magically more secure in the first place, here's an example.
http://9to5mac.com/2011/03/10/embarrassing-macbook-air-safari-5-0-4-pwned-at-hacking-contest-in-five-seconds/
(And that specific article references another such situation from a while back.)

Reactions: 3 people

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

Trojan.

Also,
  • /Library/Little Snitch
If any of these are found, the malware will skip the rest of its routine and proceed to delete itself."

Double_Facepalm_by_ScotlandForLife.jpg

Do you not get it? Macs ARE NOT virus/trojan/malware free. AND THEY (nor any other PC) NEVER WILL BE (apart from maybe Chromebooks etc. where nothing is downloaded).

>There are viruses for Macs out there, I've had a friend who had one himself. Just because they're hard to find it doesn't mean they don't exist. (In fact, searching for them is quite hard as they're obviously not going to advertise themselves as a virus).
>Viruses CAN be built and infect Macs.
>The only reason there are not many is because there are so many more Windows users than Mac users thus it makes a lot more sense to build a virus to infect Windows.

Exactly the same thing applies to trojans, malware and w/e else you want to call it.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
My biggest dislike of Apple is the way they bring out something that other phones have had for 10 years and advertise it in a way that suggests they invented it.

"If you don't have FaceTime, you can't talk to others via video chat."
Well actually, I've had video calling for years.

"You need an iPhone 4S so you can use Siri"
I've had voice dialling on my phones for years and it actually understood what I wanted
Actually a lot of companies do that, including Nintendo, Sony, Samsung etc.

I request this thread to be locked before more complications happen. That was not my intention at all. At least I have my doubt cleared.

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada

Trojan.

Also,
  • /Library/Little Snitch
If any of these are found, the malware will skip the rest of its routine and proceed to delete itself."

Double_Facepalm_by_ScotlandForLife.jpg

Do you not get it? Macs ARE NOT virus/trojan/malware free. AND THEY (nor any other PC) NEVER WILL BE (apart from maybe Chromebooks etc. where nothing is downloaded). I know that. I never said that Macs are completely safe, or cannot get viruses.

>There are viruses for Macs out there, I've had a friend who had one himself. Just because they're hard to find it doesn't mean they don't exist.
(In fact, searching for them is quite hard as they're obviously not going to advertise themselves as a virus).
>Viruses CAN be built and infect Macs. Yes, of course... they are computers, after all.
>The only reason there are not many is because there are so many more Windows users than Mac users thus it makes a lot more sense to build a virus to infect Windows.

I repeat, there are currently no know Mac Viruses Mac OS X. In the past, there have been, though. Your friend was infected by a trojan.

"A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself[1] and spread from one computer to another"

Exactly the same thing applies to trojans, malware and w/e else you want to call it.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

Trojan.

Also,
  • /Library/Little Snitch

--snip--
Do you not get it? Macs ARE NOT virus/trojan/malware free. AND THEY (nor any other PC) NEVER WILL BE (apart from maybe Chromebooks etc. where nothing is downloaded). I know that. I never said that Macs are completely safe, or cannot get viruses.

>There are viruses for Macs out there, I've had a friend who had one himself. Just because they're hard to find it doesn't mean they don't exist.
(In fact, searching for them is quite hard as they're obviously not going to advertise themselves as a virus).
>Viruses CAN be built and infect Macs. Yes, of course... they are computers, after all.

I repeat, there are currently no know Mac Viruses Mac OS X. In the past, there have been, though. Your friend was infected by a trojan.

"A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself[1] and spread from one computer to another"

As Rydian said, there are 'viruses' for Macs. Just look at the list.
But if you want to be technical, I'm sure there aren't very many (percentage-wise) 'viruses' for Windows either. A self-replicating program is not as much of a threat as it used to be compared to other forms of infections that can harm your PC / steal your info.
Virus is more of a generic term nowadays used to describe anything that infects your PC. Stop splitting hairs.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just a few words I wanted to add before the inevitable lock of this thread:

[yt]-ExNQ3iFhXc[/yt] VS [yt]hS1KXFL3hq8[/yt]

Oh? So the snail is suddenly cool, huh? You gotta "set it free"? YOU were the one who rejected it, Apple.

Excuse me, but this is just pure hypocrisy. First you diss the architecture, then you welcome it when you realize it's simply better for the task as if nothing ever happened.

[yt]A3oYVV5v51s[/yt]

Good job, Apple. In other words, you advertise that your computer can run Windows 95 but at the same time you reserve the right to release Mac OS only for Mac's, just because that's how you roll. It's good that you give people the option of swapping for a better (at least at the time) OS when you realize that yours is just not up to par. This commercial shows how Windows 95 was multiplatform and compatible and how Mac OS... was not.

[yt]TGLxjppFqeA[/yt]

Oh, you're not logging locations, huh?

ORL?

3. Why is my iPhone logging my location?
The iPhone is not logging your location. Rather, it’s maintaining a database of Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers around your current location (...) tens of millions of iPhones sending the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple.

That my friend is location data collection. You're trying to say that butter is not made of butter, and Jobs JUST SAID that whenever data is collected, the user is asked about it. That's a blatant lie, it's a background process.

5. Can Apple locate me based on my geo-tagged Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower data?
No. This data is sent to Apple in an anonymous and encrypted form. Apple cannot identify the source of this data.

Bullshit. You know exactly who sent the location data because you use it to accelerate the GPS/Location Checks on a SPECIFIC iPhone which sent it in the first place and you gather this data into a database.

7. When I turn off Location Services, why does my iPhone sometimes continue updating its Wi-Fi and cell tower data from Apple’s crowd-sourced database?
It shouldn’t. This is a bug, which we plan to fix shortly (see Software Update section below).

Of course.

9. Does Apple currently provide any data collected from iPhones to third parties?
We provide anonymous crash logs from users that have opted in to third-party developers to help them debug their apps. Our iAds advertising system can use location as a factor in targeting ads. Location is not shared with any third party or ad unless the user explicitly approves giving the current location to the current ad (for example, to request the ad locate the Target store nearest them).

Decide whether or not you are sharing the data. In one point you say you do not share it with anyone, in another you say that you're sending it to third-party, finally you say that you use it in iAds. Make up your mind.

Reactions: 2 people

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't hate Apple, they accelerated us from the Nokia era to Android
I thought Palm accelerated us from then Nokia era... :blink:
As effective as iOS was? think, one look at the OS and you'd guess what it was designed to beat, and it's not Palm

No, I always thought Nokias weren't that popular by the time the iPhone released.
As Rydian said, there are 'viruses' for Macs. Just look at the list.
But if you want to be technical, I'm sure there aren't very many (percentage-wise) 'viruses' for Windows either. A self-replicating program is not as much of a threat as it used to be compared to other forms of infections that can harm your PC / steal your info.
Virus is more of a generic term nowadays used to describe anything that infects your PC. Stop splitting hairs.

Again, I know of several forms of Malware that affect Mac OS X, of course, like on Windows, these can be avoided by being diligent.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, I always thought Nokias weren't that popular by the time the iPhone released.
Don't know how the situation looked like around the world but here, after the "fall of Symbian", Windows Mobile had a very brief moment of glory and for quite some time this platform went head to head with the iPhone until Android was released and Windows Mobile based on CE became obsolete.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing that bugs me the most about Apple is the whole mentality behind their infamous "Mac Vs. PC" commercials. Apple attempts to brainwash potential customers into thinking that a Mac isn't a PC, but if a device computes/calculates and processes binary and hexadecimal information, and if it's personal, then it has to fall under the definition of "personal computer". Not only that, but people who own MacOS-based PCs generally like to give the impression that they're better or feel more superior than those who have a Windows-based PC. Besides, compared to the hardware one can get in a $1300 Macbook Air, I can easily find a laptop with better hardware for $800...oh wait, I already did.

MacBook Pro (2011 model)
CPU: Core i5-2557M/1.7GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3-SDRAM 1333MHz
GPU: Intel HD 3000 384MB Shared
Resolution: 1440x900/16:10
Price: $1209.00
HDMI Output: Proprietary

Lenovo IdeaPad Y570
Core i7-2720QM/2.2GHz
8GB DDR3-SDRAM 1333Mhz
nVidia GeForce 555M 1GB GDDR5
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
1366x768/16:9
$800.00
Standard HDMI 1.4 output

Reactions: 1 person

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've used PCs, Amigas, Atari, Commodore, and yes Apple. I hate Apple products the most. I just don't like their architecture and how they opperate. I don't like the handicapped one button mouse, I don't like their hard drive. I don't like their networking, nor their operating interface. It just seems like one big pain in the ass compared to the PC marketplace. And it seems like things work better with the PC market.
And there is a ton more software for the PC market as well. But that is just my opinion.

i can't believe people still bitch about one button.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do you not get it? Macs ARE NOT virus/trojan/malware free. AND THEY (nor any other PC) NEVER WILL BE (apart from maybe Chromebooks etc. where nothing is downloaded).
Chrome books could certainly have viruses or malware written for them. They execute code (javascript, HTML5 stuff, flash etc. etc.), and so could be exploited. There is no need for a file to be downloaded for it to cause harm. And besides that, I'm pretty sure you can download files on Chrome books.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"