Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
turbotronic said:
QUOTE said:
Why GC USB Loading won't work¶
The Wii has two main memory regions MEM1(24MB) and MEM2(64MB) the GC had MEM1(24MB) and ARAM(I think 16MB I can't find the value right now).
Now as we know some facts we see that the Wii has no ARAM, but GC needs it to work!
So when switching to GC mode a part of MEM2 is used as ARAM(the infamous twiizer attack was possible due this fact).
So why is this a problem? once it's turned into ARAM it's not accessible from ARM( aka starlet, aka IOS) anymore, why is that bad? well the EHCI(aka USB2.0) device can only access MEM2 so no MEM2 no EHCI and no USB.
(sad face)

source http://code.google.com/p/dios-mios/
ucjp3daa.png

People should read what other people already posted before posting to prevent to get embarrased.

This is gold, just gold.

75UR15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a sort of repeated FYI, for anyone trying to install sneek and finding that it won't load, try using the autoinstaller with a modmii dumped nand, the modmii "insaller" and self compiled sneeks that I tried never worked, but the auto installer version always worked for me....just does no good if trying to modify those lines, but may get you a little closer.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tonitonichopchop said:
I think I'm just gonna go get a WODE now...

not only do i enjoy wode for NGC ,
but it is great for alot of reasons, too many too list but here is a few ..easiest instal,great support and
it works great for punEmu so that alone is reason enough for me to get a WODE.

even though i donated 100's to DiosMios, i still grab'd WODE .. best $ i spent on wii yet.

ZeroInstance

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
crediar proceeded by saying in IRC:
QUOTE said:
[1:41:27 A] mem2 is used as aram
[1:41:43 A] if it's aram, arm can't access it as mem2
[1:42:01 A] HW devices can only put data into mem2
[1:42:31 A] the EHCI HW for example
[2:02:43 A] if you try to access MEM2 while switched to ARAM you don't even get an exception the system just hangs
[5:08:15 P] the ARM hangs when I try to access it, not even an exception just boom
[5:09:15 P] oh ok, does that mean it is the usb access crashing and not the gc aram access?
[5:12:15 P] well depends what is enabled
[5:12:24 P] when I enable MEM2, GC games tend to crash
[5:15:57 P] and when I enabled ARAM, any MEM2 access causes a HALT

So basically, as crediar said it; the Wii has MEM1 and MEM2. the Gamecube has MEM1 and ARAM. So when the Wii goes into GC mode, it uses part of MEM2 as the ARAM. That way, the ARM (IOS) can't access it (ARAM) and the USB 2.0 can only access MEM2.

From the conversation afterward between crediar and skid_au, it looks like they're trying to figure it out, but don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Zero

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that does seem to be the solution, but that sounds like a massive undertaking. maybe im wrong i don't know much, but crediar is the man.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well, if SD-boot compatibility is much better (due to not use ARM at all) then it will have its fans. Probably, if u don't need many GC games then you can place all of them to a single card. Some kind of poor-man's GC loader. Some special USB-Gecko with integrated USB host would be better, but price will be much higher than $4...

What comes to my mind is: if $100 is too big money to spend for ultimate solution, then most likely this user doesn't buy games (2-3 games will cost $100) -> so,most likely he just download it from internet -> SD card won't be enough to hold wide varieties of GC games available in internet
smile.gif
As a result - constant frustration.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorgelig said:
What comes to my mind is: if $100 is too big money to spend for ultimate solution, then most likely this user doesn't buy games

It could have being the ultimate solution if they hadn't skimped on the FPGA and/or told you in the advertising GC doesn't work fully, sorry a thread hidden in the support forums doesn't count. Especially seeing as they still say it offers 100% compatibility. That made the GC loading useless to me as it ruined all my store bought games that I wanted to store on the HDD that I couldn't already. Luckilly I managed to sell mine and just stuck to the discs or Dolphin. Also the stand doesn't fit the Wii right.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
sorgelig said:
What comes to my mind is: if $100 is too big money to spend for ultimate solution, then most likely this user doesn't buy games

It could have being the ultimate solution if they hadn't skimped on the FPGA and/or told you in the advertising GC doesn't work fully, sorry a thread hidden in the support forums doesn't count. Especially seeing as they still say it offers 100% compatibility. That made the GC loading useless to me as it ruined all my store bought games that I wanted to store on the HDD that I couldn't already. Luckilly I managed to sell mine and just stuck to the discs or Dolphin. Also the stand doesn't fit the Wii right.

That's disappointing to hear, maybe we'll see some improvements in the next version. The ribbon cable sticking out the bottom makes me very nervous about the thing tipping over.

The Sundriver looks like an interesting solution, but the software looks ugly as shit. Anyone have any experiences with them?

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
not had any issues here with wode booting a GC game only thing that sucks is lack of streaming audio and those games still play if you can tolerate it.
for the few games that have streaming you can either use the discs or if you have an old drive with another chip like I do (d2ckey) play them from backups with no issue.
there's also a 2 second fix where you can screw the stand to the wii if worried about it falling but mine has been fine without a case just hanging out of the Wii.

afaik no drive emulator can do audio streaming from SD/USB at the moment.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
WiiBricker said:
There will be a web store open soon that will sell a HDD plug and play Adapter into a memory card port of a gamecube. Maybe it will also work on the Wii. That should be a great alternative to dios-mios.

http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic...?f=15&t=310
sure, should work. But audio-streaming won't work anyway.

Actually, audio-streaming feature is too exaggerated. Especially, many sites mark game as using "audio streaming" while it's NOT. Many, so called "audio-streaming" games are actually using background music by usual way (playback from file using CPU). There are very very few games really using audio-streaming (direct DVD-to-DSP route). And it's not a big problem to play those games without background music.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorgelig said:
And it's not a big problem to play those games without background music.

That really is a matter of opinion. A lot of games are like movies in presentation, and that means the music is a major part of the experience. For me Eternal Darkness without music is like watching Star Wars without any music.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
cwstjdenobs said:
sorgelig said:
And it's not a big problem to play those games without background music.

That really is a matter of opinion. A lot of games are like movies in presentation, and that means the music is a major part of the experience. For me Eternal Darkness without music is like watching Star Wars without any music.
Well, Eternal Darkness is a must-buy anyway
tongue.gif
I got a new and sealed copy for 10 bucks.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorgelig said:
WiiBricker said:
There will be a web store open soon that will sell a HDD plug and play Adapter into a memory card port of a gamecube. Maybe it will also work on the Wii. That should be a great alternative to dios-mios.

Actually, audio-streaming feature is too exaggerated. Especially, many sites mark game as using "audio streaming" while it's NOT. Many, so called "audio-streaming" games are actually using background music by usual way (playback from file using CPU). There are very very few games really using audio-streaming (direct DVD-to-DSP route). And it's not a big problem to play those games without background music.

Is it out of the question to patch those games to use ripped versions of the tracks? It sounds like a huge undertaking, but so was patching the GC read functions. It's not a new idea, I've seen a couple of emulators pull off the same trick.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
thesund0g said:
sorgelig said:
WiiBricker said:

Is it out of the question to patch those games to use ripped versions of the tracks? It sounds like a huge undertaking, but so was patching the GC read functions. It's not a new idea, I've seen a couple of emulators pull off the same trick.

Well I think it's possible if you emulate the complete hardware of the gamecube. That is what Dolphin does. Audio Streaming should be no problem with dolphin.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
cwstjdenobs said:

movies are almost always have integrated audio. Audio-streaming is used in playing process, not in movies.
Just curious where in Eternal Darkness you see audio-streaming? Movies/Intros are with sound and music. So what is missing in this game?

So far, only one game (in my collection) is clearly missing background music - Ikaruga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps