Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Random question:

I have an SDML (aka SD gecko) can I bang a 1-2gb SD card into it and somehow format it to be a ubersized GC memory card??

Short answer no, long answer: there are only a few japanese games that support it since nintendo actually sold SD adapters themthelves.

You have to use memcard emulation or buy a memcard.

Reactions: 1 person

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have 8 4mb memcards, just wanted to know if it was possible, this of all things (USB GC loading) should be not so impossible in comparison :)

Also, some games take almost the FULL standard card to save /snip/ and some games don't even fit on one of these ! ! !

I have filled 2, and just started on a third, thought a one for all solution would be ace as I have a gecko and heaps of 1gb and 2gb SD's laying around redundant.

EDIT:

How come on googling I found a 128mb GC memory card? if 16mb is the limit?

http://gbatemp.net/t...e-memory-cards/

Standard GC card = 59 blocks - 4 Mbit/512 KB
Largest GC/Wii can handle = "up to" 2043 blocks - 128Mb (so these are 32 times the size of a standard card)

Please take note that a standard card is really 64 blocks, but each single GC card requires 5 blocks of system data you don't see or get to use, this means the smaller you buy the cards the more "wasted space" you are buying.

Also not really 1 memory card but switchable 2 or 4 cards:
256Mb MEMORY CARD
This is a bit different, it is 2 cards in one and a switch to swap which you are using. So it's like the 3rd party cards times two.

512Mb MEMORY CARD
This is a bit different, it is 4 cards in one and a switch to swap which you are using. So it's like the 3rd party cards times a fooking massive four ! !

Skraaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='KiiWii']
3rd party Memory Cards have a lots of space :) I'm using 128MB no-name one from DealExtreme. Works like a charm and it's still considered small.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Also, there's the difference between megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB) to consider. A 16 MB virtual card is equivalent to 128 Mb or ~ 2040 blocks, which is a lot of space for GC saves.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hmmm.... just tried out Rogue Leader with 2.1 (which crashes in Devolution).

What is strange is that the game is displayed in anamorphic (vertically stretched) mode, and has rendering errors on the sides of the screen. My display is 4:3 and I have not selected 16:9 anywhere. I'm wondering if the widescreen hack has been coded into the new version of DM?

PureMagic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm just guessing here, I didn't look at any loader's or DM's source, but the NoDisc option was removed, and the Widescreen option was added...isn't it possible that the "Enable NoDisc" is getting interpreted as "Enable Widescreen"?
(not sure if the options are order based, I'm really just guessing...)

MrKill

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In 2.1, Agent under fire doesnt work for me, green screen. On 2.0, the game crashes at the end of level 2, and now it green screens, Nightfire works well btw,

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just uploaded DIOS-MIOS Booter r28, changes:

-added DIOS-MIOS v2.1 compatility, you need to set the boot method to New (DM 2.1+) for it to work
-added the widescreen patch to the options, it only has effect on DM 2.1+, also the no disc patch only has effect on DM 2.0-, it will do nothing in DM 2.1+ since its enabled by default there
Download on google code.
For me it doesnt work and I got no idea why since crediar disabled the gecko output, maybe somebody else try it out?

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
yes, the changelog has been posted here, and are available on the homepage.
2.1 added the Force WideScreen setting, but you need to enable it, it shouldn't be enabled by default.
Thanks. Widescreen seems to be enabled by default, at least when launching from Wiiflow.

Also, thanks for not insulting me in your reply. :)

stfour

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Widescreen seems to be enabled by default, at least when launching from Wiiflow.
I see why it doesnt work with the new config, crediar fucked up something, that means the no disc patch now toogles widescreen :P

Yes, DML_CFG_FORCE_WIDE has take the place of DML_CFG_NODISC. But there is an interesting DML_CFG_BOOT_DISC2...

DML_CFG_NODISC is now in auto mode...

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wonder why he disabled USBGecko output..?

I wish he'd add raw memory card dump support to NMM, though, to be compatible with Dolphin/Devolution.

Edit: Also, his PSO 1&2 hack doesn't work. It just crashes with a black screen: http://pastie.org/private/zd7hk2afqgtbc84ckchniw

bm123456

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 Ntsc on Ntsc Wii 1:1 rip tested and working great with DM 2.0 updates 4
DM 2.0 update 5 & DM 2.1 results in black screen only, and yes I have a disc in the drive. something changed has broken compatibility with this game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work