Hacking DIOS MIOS (Lite)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Just thought I'd make up a short list off the top of my head of things DM can't (yet) do or bug's people have reported. Some ideas are more wishful than others but I've included them anyway.
("Things that it would be nice if they were better", as a summary.)

- Perfect NMM
- Forced widescreen
- Hard drive spindown (ping the drive to avoid it)
- 2 disk games

keyanf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are these instructions still up to date?

http://gbatemp.net/topic/318585-how-to-play-your-gamecube-games-from-sd-or-usb-using-dios-mios-lite/

keyanf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks.

What booter to use to use if my Wii's disc drive is broken and I need to use no-disc? I use USB Loader GX for Wii games (that's the first one I found that had a tutorial that bothered to give steps between "install homebrew channel" and "put WAD on SD card and intsall" like dealing with IOSes). Will it work for that?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Thanks.

What booter to use to use if my Wii's disc drive is broken and I need to use no-disc? I use USB Loader GX for Wii games (that's the first one I found that had a tutorial that bothered to give steps between "install homebrew channel" and "put WAD on SD card and intsall" like dealing with IOSes). Will it work for that?
It should work for that. These newer versions of DM(L) do not need a disk in the drive any more for most games. The loader no longer has anything to do with that part. DM(L) just sets itself up based on whether there is a disk in the drive or not so any loader should work.

raddok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DM 2.1 broke retail disc loading for me. It hangs on the splash screen after seeking the drive. It worked fine in 2.0u5.

Nightfire does indeed work now.

Luigi's mansion freezes on the red nintendo logo after the voice says "nintendo". Odd that I can still reset the wii with R+Z+start though. Was working fine in 2.0

keyanf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the ISO converting things (well GC ISO compress and FST fix have the same issue) seem to do anything. They preform their job and say they completed it, but I don't see where the new file is and the old one hasn't changed.

PureMagic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
None of the ISO converting things (well GC ISO compress and FST fix have the same issue) seem to do anything. They preform their job and say they completed it, but I don't see where the new file is and the old one hasn't changed.
They both create a folder on your current directory (i.e. the place you set using the cd command on the cmd window...). You need to copy the folder to "USB:\games".

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a guide on how to get DIOS MIOS Lite running? I'm completely new to it, and I saw that it "Emulates Memorycard", and I don't have GC memory card, so this could be great for me, but I'm kinda at a lost as to where I start.

Well it's very simple now, all you have to do is download this .wad file http://code.google.c.../downloads/list if you wanna use Dios Mios Lite which uses the SD card, or this wad file http://code.google.c.../downloads/list if you wanna use Dios Mios which let's you play the games off USB drive, and install it with Wad Manager or any manager of your choice!

Tthen use any loader of your choice, a lot of people recommend DML Boater, personally I prefer USB Loader GX, you can also use Gonfigurable USB Loader, Wiiflow or NeoGamma!

However NMM (No More Memory) is still incomplete in DM/DML and many games still don't work, or so I hear, I dunno for sure how far it works as I have 3 memory cards so I always use memory cards and they work great, if you want to run GC games without having a Memory Card then you're probably better wait for Devolution, though Devolution might need you to actually own the disk you wanna play!

DML and DM both create a specific save file for each game on your SD card. Devolution creates one 16mb memory card file. The DML and DM so far can only be used in those programs but the one Devolution makes can be used in the Dolphin Emulator or if you do end up buying a gc memory card you can copy your saves to it using GCMM (gamecube memory card manager).

I like the ability to transfer the save to be used on other programs and devices. Specifically with animal crossing, I already have one town that I've done pretty much everything with so it's nice to be able to make a new town using Devolution without having to delete my save from my real memory card.

Well idk about NMM, like I said I already have 3 memory cards, but the save file used in DM/DML CAN in fact be used for Dolphin and vice versa, I been abusing this feature ever since the old elf method for DML!

keyanf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running fstfix from command line instead of draging produced an output file, but in the fstfix directory (no folder).

Do I just dump that file into the SD card's "games" folder?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So I'm a bit confused. In 2.1 I can no longer disable no disc? I want to always use a disc to ensure maximum compatibility.
If you have a disc on drive, it will use it to improve compatibility. That's automatic now.
Ok thanks for the replies guys. Now just waiting for a GX update from cyan.
Basically, anything newer than DML v1.0 did it that way. They just basically ignored the nodisk option whether it was set or not. They just set it depending if the disk was in the drive so changing the NoDisk option in a loader only did something if you were using something before DML r59.

Now, any loader is still compatible with DM v2.1. You just have to remember that where there's a setting that says "NoDisk" it actually means "Force Widescreen" since that new option uses the enable/disable bit that was previously used for the NoDisk patch.

I think, basically, you use the option like this:
NoDisk ENABLED = Forced Widescreen ON
NoDisk DISABLED= Forced Widescreen OFF
Unless the loader has been updated with a separate option. In that case it just detects the DM version and chooses which option to ignore.

PureMagic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Running fstfix from command line instead of draging produced an output file, but in the fstfix directory (no folder).

Do I just dump that file into the SD card's "games" folder?
Use DiscEx 0.8b.
Run it with -c arg if you want to compress the game. It will create a folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone