Digital Nintendo Switch games potentially cannot be shared, locked to one console at a time

NintendoSwitch_hardware_Console_05-1.jpg

If you were hoping Nintendo had finally decided to step into the modern era of online purchases, you might be disappointed to hear that, according to a Q&A session at the NYC Nintendo World Store, digital Switch games will only be able to be played on one system at a time, and that multiple purchases will be needed to play your digital games on separate consoles. The context of this comes from a YouTuber asking Nintendo's GM of Planning and Development, Shinya Takahashi, if a Nintendo Account's digital games could be shared between two Switch consoles. The response is as follows:

Consumer: “If I want to take my system with me… if I were to buy a digital game, could I buy it once, or would I have to buy it multiple times so they can use those games?”

Takahashi: “Currently we don’t have a system like that in place for Nintendo Switch, but we haven’t made any final decisions about how we would approach that going forward in the future, so unfortunately I can’t provide any concrete answer for you right now.”

While this doesn't mean games are forever locked to a console, and you will likely be able to use a system transfer feature, this is a much less accessible way compared to how competitors Xbox, PlayStation, and Steam allow consumers to download their titles to multiple systems.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Chary,

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just bring my system with me to my friends. But my one friend and I usually own the same DLC and games. So no need to bring it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solution: Do not buy digital. From Nintendo.

-No need to deal with Nintendo online store or content use policies
-Ownership and gaming experience easy to understand and operate - if you have the cart you can play, and if you don't you can't
-Resale value

Only thing I'll buy digital from them are VC games, as far as retail games go, to hell with that, I don't like draconian DRM for retail stuff. Well that, but top it off with the fact getting a Switch now is next to impossible, and will be the case forever.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer physical and only buy digital if there's a sale. Doesn't really bother me, as I'll only have the one switch and it's just as easy to bring it to a friend's place. It is portable, after all.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I swear half the people in this thread saying "WAIT PEOPLE BUY MULTIPLE CONSOLES???" apparently forget Nintendo's good ol' "3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, 2DS" line of thinking, the same line of thinking Sony and Microsoft have adopted for their current consoles.

Does anyone here really expect this Switch to be the only Switch Nintendo launches? I can already see the "Switch XL" or the "Switch Pocket" or the console-only Switch or some other stupid revision that people will gobble up.

Not to mention the whole fragile portable thing, kids are going to be dropping their Switch's left and right, what are they gonna do when they can't transfer the games they bought with daddy's credit card then?

The whole idea that games are locked to a console instead of an account is ludicrous and outdated thinking, I legit can't think of any good reason it should be that way. But of course that's Nintendo for you, still hasn't learned anything about online services besides "we can make people pay for it!"
This is true. Most stores that do trade in to upgrade to the next version of a console will give you the strangest look and probably laugh inside when you ask them if you can open up the product you bought and keep the one you traded for it so you can transfer your stuff.

You don't have to worry about this with Xbox or PlayStation. In fact, I had to sell my original PS4 because of an emergency, and then when bonuses came up and I could buy another one, it was nice to be able to log in and all the games I spent money on digitally could easily be re-downloaded without Sony yelling at me to transfer my license from my old console (which was by that time, probably in the hands of some one else who I don't know so fat chance of that happening).

Imacaredformy2ds

Smartass
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
R.I.P :hateit:
I wanted to share digital games with my sister but I guess not...
It would've been awesome to just have to make one purchase and share a game like Spla2n so we could play at the same time. I swear she's crazy over Spla2n.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I wonder if the Switch was rushed due to Wii U's relatively swift downfall.

Dude, it was YEARS before we even got a glimpse of what the hell Nintendo Switch was, and you say it was rushed? Jesus man. Why not stay in development for a decade then?

All we had was "NX" to keep us busy for like 2 or 3 years. No one had a freaking clue. And god knows how long it had been in development before the codename was disclosed..

Reactions: LogicIsHansom

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'm surprised...
surprised that this is a surprise to anyone, hahahah.
Thank you. To be honest, I find it completely logical. If not happy with this system, people can just buy the cartridge. And why would one person need two of them? If someone does, and prefer digital distribution, well, they just have to keep playing the game on the same system, and since it's portable I really can't see what the problem is...

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Switch will fail miserably.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Solution: Do not buy digital. From Nintendo.

-No need to deal with Nintendo online store or content use policies
-Ownership and gaming experience easy to understand and operate - if you have the cart you can play, and if you don't you can't
-Resale value
How about don't buy ANYTHING digital.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

problem is there is going to be a lot of digital only games
indie games that you can play on many other consoles/pc?

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I only ever owned one WiiU. Or ps4, or xboxone, or 3ds etc etc. I couldn't really care less as long as I could transfer to a new console should the old one break.

I suppose my mate has my xbox live account on his xboxone to rob my games cos I hardly ever use mine but apart from that this has zero impact for me.

I only ever buy a Nintendo console to hack it anyway, apart from Xenoblade and monster hunter I would never purchase a Nintendo game anyway ( I purchased both the above games at retail).

Piracy gains Nintendo a hardware sale from me they would otherwise not get.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But..... How is this different then any other Nintendo console?

Game sharing in ps4 is a bit sketchy anyway.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, it was YEARS before we even got a glimpse of what the hell Nintendo Switch was, and you say it was rushed? Jesus man. Why not stay in development for a decade then?

All we had was "NX" to keep us busy for like 2 or 3 years. No one had a freaking clue. And god knows how long it had been in development before the codename was disclosed..

Was it years? I thought it was mid- late 2015 when NX was announced, so about a year or so. Okay, no need for the harsh reply, just sharing a thought.

zezzo

The "Black Ace"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SU CK DICK NINTENDO.

How childish.
--
Anyways, I don't understand why I have to purchase multiple copies of a certain game just to allow for my 2 brothers to play. Why do I have to spend $180 for a game like Splatoon 2 in order to enjoy with my brothers. Sure download play exists but it just offers a watered down version of a game.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyways, I don't understand why I have to purchase multiple copies of a certain game just to allow for my 2 brothers to play. Why do I have to spend $180 for a game like Splatoon 2 in order to enjoy with my brothers. Sure download play exists but it just offers a watered down version of a game.
why not? just because its your family doesnt mean you should get it for free ;P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)