Gaming Did you enjoy Twilight Princess for the Wii?

D

Deleted User

When I first played Twilight Princess on the Wii I thought it was amazing. I was quite young back then. When I replayed it on the Wii U ten years later I thought it was boring.

SlashofaSword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
one of the big reasons the gamecube version is expensive is its exploit hability.
its one of the (dozen?) games that can be used to launch the gamecube exploits. (and due to the nature of the gamecube, unless you have a modchip, you require an original game or a third party loader disc)

other reason is the gamecube is one of the expensive consoles if you want to get into gamecube stuff..
i notice all things about the gamecube, especially accessories are way more expensive than other consoles..
just the network adapter for the gamecube goes for crazy prices and it's not like a rare accessory..
I didn't know the gamecube had many exploits or any of that stuff so thanks for letting me know. I've been wanting to start collecting gc stuff (because the gamecube has one of the best game libraries imo) and I did notice how all of it's stuff is pretty expensive...

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no problems with the Wii version. Most of the time you wouldn't even notice that it's been "flipped", unless you've played the GC or Wii U version. It looks pretty natural in that regard.

Everyone has different opinions on the controls, I thought they were fine, but noticed you have to swing the remote a bit harder than you do in Wii Sports tennis, so occasionally when I was feeling lazy, the swings wouldn't register. Aiming with the Bow / Hookshot is unquestionably better, and it still uses button presses for some types of attacks. Being able to freely move the camera (like with the C-Stick) would be nice, but the camera's smart enough that you won't really need it, plus you can always center the view with Z.

Also on Wii you can have 3 to 4 items set to the D-Pad and B buttons (it's a bit weird), while only 2 on GameCube.
isnt it 3 X Y Z

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Reactions: SlashofaSword

Hakaisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Twilight Princess was my first Wii game, besides the packed-in Wii Sports. I'm sure this was the case for many early Wii adopters.

I feel like a large part of the Twilight Princess experience for me, was that it was my first big adventure on the Wii. You could swing the remote to swing your sword, and literally just aim at the screen to aim your bow. I thought it was just the coolest thing ever.

I think that even if there is a technically better version or HD remaster out for a game; sometimes it's a nice experience to pick up the old original and appreciate it for where gaming technology was at that time.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Funny enough, I didn't got into TP until the second playthrough. My first time through the game left me with not much of an opinion, neither positive or negative, for some reason, which usually doesn't happen to me. With the second, I ended up enjoying the game so much more, and paying much more attention to things. I really like how the Zelda series can change so much in tone (OOT>MM>TWW>TP) from one entry to the next, yet still feel like they all belong.

I probably prefer the Wii version over the GC version quite a bit more because of the IR aiming through the wiimote. It made all the aiming-related stuff much more snappy and fluid, specially the Bow, which is the most fun one out of the entire series up to that point (and I still think it's way more satisfying than the Skyward Sword Bow controls, as with IR you had a point of reference, the sensor bar, making aiming more precise, and also faster and more responsive because the Motion Plus has a small delay in comparison).

In other games I really don't use much the bow, in TP though, I love sniping enemies from afar, and because you can move while aiming, it's still fun in closer spaces too. I also found the Ball and Chain to be much more fun with it too, as it is to use the claws with IR aiming. A few other things, like the ball minigame was more interesting with motion controls (although I suppose other people might dislike that, but hey, I love the Kororinpa games on Wii), and fishing was also more entertaining with them.

Another interesting change is that you could have 4 different items, three on the D-Pad plus one selected with B, instead of the 3 on GC with X, Y and Z (just like in TWW). Less time messing around the menu is always better.

I personally didn't mind that the game was horizontally flipped, although I find the reason for it to be very, very silly. On the other hand this version also supports 16:9, while the GC does not (and also 480P for European release). About moving the wiimote to use normal sword slashes... I couldn't care less. A slight wrist move is a non-problem for me, and even then, once I start learning techniques, I pretty much stop using those normal slashes because they're much more fun to do, unless I'm cutting grass, and waggling around the controller while moving for that is pretty damn simple.

Oh, and it may be just my copy, but my European Wii disc of TP has the "Midna Cannon Glitch" fixed, it seems (I tried to make it happen several times and it didn't work, lol), which is cool I suppose. There are other differences, but whatever.

The only thing I see the GC version has over it is the free camera, which is great, but it hardly matters to me when I spent who knows how many hours using the Z-Targeting to quickly position the camera where I wanted to on OOT, MM, and even TWW even when that one also had a free camera system (and funny enough, that camera went away in SS too). Besides that, if you're someone that is terrified at "non-standard" controls, I guess playing with the GC controller might be preferable too; but I personally wouldn't enjoy TP without IR aiming.

Whenever I replay this game I usually put codes to increase damage to make it more fun and interesting. I also change Link's tunic colours just for the sake of it, lol.

Now that was a long post...

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never enjoyed Twilight Princess no matter how much I tried. It just didn't click for me

Same here. Excepting Gameboy Color and Zelda II, maybe the only LOZ game I haven't finished at least once. Well, BOTW is in-progress still, but just started that one recently.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a pretty big price difference in used copies of TP for the Wii or GC (GC averages around £45 with the Wii version being around £5). I know that the game is flipped and the controls kind of suck but aside from that is it still a good zelda game? I'd really rather not pay the extra £40 but I know people complain about the Wii version a lot. Any tips?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I don't have a wii u so the HD remake is off the table for me.
The Wii controls are fine/cool for the time.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It amazes me how ports like TP and Okami on the Wii could exist with no classic controller support. You're exerting effort to remove traditional pad input from the game when the system already has a traditional pad. Just, why? How hard is it to just copy-paste PS2/GC controls onto the pro controller like Resident Evil 4 and Black ops did?

Last edited by MyJoyConRunsHot,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point twilight princess for Wii and gc are both gonna be used copies from a game store and no money will go to Nintendo.

Just get nintendont running on your Wii and play the GameCube version. The controls are better and the game isn't mirrored.

If you feel like supporting Nintendo, buy a modern game from them and buy it new.

Reactions: Friendsxix

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all three versions, however played two out of the three. I kept the GC version sealed, because when I reserved the GC version, I didn't realize that there would be a Wii version release on the same day. So went to pick up the GC TP and saw the Wii version sitting on the shelf, I went ahead and picked that one up all on the same day and same time. I decided to try the Wii version instead and I'm glad I did. It was fun actually and you can aimlessly swing the wiimote any way you see fit and link would swing that sword based on weather you pressed the "Z" button or not. The sword swinging is fixed so it wasn't like skyward sword. I played the HD version and I like it as well, but what really threw me off is the aiming aspect of it, like when using the bow, personally I like the Wii version in that regard, that maybe because I used a pro controller instead of the gamepad.
Perhaps I may be bias but the Wii version is probably more fun due to the fact that it has a super clawshot code.

Last edited by RandomUser,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First game I ever played on Wii and first game I ever beat on Wii. I enjoyed it at the time but lately Ive become anti-wiimote so I prefer the other versions.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I finished twilight princess for the first time on Wii U this year and I did enjoy it enough to try to complete most of the side quests. I don't know if the Wii controls are bad but the aiming with gamepad on the hd version made many things a lot easier compared to the times I tried to the right stick to aim.

My only complaint about the game is the faces of the humans in the first village, especially that knight guy (played it in Italian). I went in expecting realism and got thrown off immediately by that. It's like OoT was better since it acknowledged that it wouldn't go for realism.

Last edited by Zense,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

I hated that the Wii version was only playable with motion controls and mirrored so I played the Wii U version and loved it. However, after I finished it, there wasn't much point to get back into it.

Great game but feels overrated.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finished twilight princess for the first time on Wii U this year and I did enjoy it enough to try to complete most of the side quests. I don't know if the Wii controls are bad but the aiming with gamepad on the hd version made many things a lot easier compared to the times I tried to the right stick to aim.

My only complaint about the game is the faces of the humans in the first village, especially that knight guy (played it in Italian). I went in expecting realism and got thrown off immediately by that. It's like OoT was better since it acknowledged that it wouldn't go for realism.

Even though you played it on Wii U it's still a 13 year old game. Remasters just up the textures and do certain things to make it HD, not completely rehaul the graphics. This game came out the year before HD was a thing on consoles. It's just not going to look realistic.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Even though you played it on Wii U it's still a 13 year old game. Remasters just up the textures and do certain things to make it HD, not completely rehaul the graphics. This game came out the year before HD was a thing on consoles. It's just not going to look realistic.
I was referring to the fact that they looked silly, or trying to be comedic in a certain sense. It didn't fit in with the overarching story and atmosphere to me.

Also, HD does not mean realism to me, it is just the resolution. You could say that presbyopes or myopes have lower resolution than those who do not have that, however the "realism" they are experiencing is not reduced.

My expectations for realism in TP came from what I had heard and seen of the game, so it would have been the same if it was the Wii version that I had played.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google