Gaming Did you enjoy Twilight Princess for the Wii?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was referring to the fact that they looked silly, or trying to be comedic in a certain sense. It didn't fit in with the overarching story and atmosphere to me.

Also, HD does not mean realism to me, it is just the resolution. You could say that presbyopes or myopes have lower resolution than those who do not have that, however the "realism" they are experiencing is not reduced.

My expectations for realism in TP came from what I had heard and seen of the game, so it would have been the same if it was the Wii version that I had played.
Take in the context of its release. It came right after WW. For its time it was a lot more realistic, and had a darker tone. But no one ever said it was supposed to be hyperrealistic - all you needed to do was see how Link looked to know that. His eye shape for example is highly stylized.
link_lowres.gif

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Take in the context of its release. It came right after WW. For its time it was a lot more realistic, and had a darker tone. But no one ever said it was supposed to be hyperrealistic - all you needed to do was see how Link looked to know that. His eye shape for example is highly stylized.
link_lowres.gif
Yeah, there's just such a big difference between the faces of Link, Zelda, Gannondorf, Midna (and probably some other important characters that have "better" faces) and Rusl's (below) and the kids from the first village's faces. Just scratch the whole realism point, I was referring to the general dark theme and atmosphere being contrasted by the latter faces silly-lookingness. Rusl's face is the very first face you see when starting the game. I'm okay with games being silly, like silly and weird characters in DQVIII for example are some of my favorites. This, however, just seems like they tried to put some comedic relief into a Team ICO game. Imagine if Mono from SotC had the face of a donkey, how great that would have been. Also, Shadow of the Colossus was on the PS2 so being released before the "eve" of HD consoles (that often struggled to stay HD) does not mean going for realism wasn't a possibility.

Anyways, I do want to emphasize that I really enjoyed the game even if I prefer OoT to it. I'm just trying to explain my opinion on one of the things I found weird about the game.

Last edited by Zense,

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i finshed the game like 90% that i lost interest ,but i liked skyward sword allot and finished it i wanted more of that game

D

Deleted User

I actually beated the game... then I lost it... but now I have it again with Nintendont.
And beated that game again... but now I deleted my entire Memory Card just so I can play all my GC games again.

To be honest I liked the Gamecube version more than the Wii one.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Wii
+: wide screen, pointer controls (3rd shoulder perspective btw instead of 1st person), sword swinging
while walking, no frame rate issues (GC version has a few locations with a low frame rate)
- : no camera control beyond centering with a button press (like OoT/MM on N64), mirrored visuals,
swinging just replaces the B button

Back in 2006 I was outraged about how bad the controls were implemented. There are so many way to implement camera control without a 2nd stick (e.g. via pointer, Nunchuk or D-Pad).
Even after the re-release on Wii U I still don't think there is a perfect version out there. Instead of fixing the Wii controls (e.g. vertical and horizontal swings via Wiimote is no problem - even without Motion+), they got rid of them completely, which is totally fine, but why not offer both options (like in RE4 on Wii)? Furthermore, the visuals actually look better on Wii in my opinion because the Wii U version does not add polygons or grass (the sharper textures just don't look better in my view).
They also made small changes to the content of the game, e.g. Wolf Link has to find fewer orbs. I don't view them as improvements but at least they are not as bad as in the Zelda MM remake for 3DS.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It amazes me how ports like TP and Okami on the Wii could exist with no classic controller support. You're removing traditional pad input from the game when the system already has a traditional pad. Just, why? How hard is it to just copy-paste PS2/GC controls onto the pro controller like Resident Evil 4 and Black ops did?
Wait, I think RE4 supports Wiimote and GC controller, while CoD Black Ops and MW3 support Wiimote and CC. Goldeneye (and some other games) support all 3 though.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,
D

Deleted User

I sincerely thought most of the gameplay was ruined (at least for me) because of the controls and some game breaking glitches; other than that I wasn´t bothered by the lower resolution and minimum details. I wouldn´t recommend anyone to buy a physical copy to play but I´d recommend it for Homebrewed Wii users to download.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E