Twilight Princess HD update on NUS?

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I noticed something curious while using NUSspli, namely that there's a Twilight Princess HD update on the eshop servers for the US version of the game. The curious part is that neither the disc nor the eshop version of TPHD will ever trigger this update when launching the game.

I'm sure absolutely everyone here is already aware of this but just in case someone somehow isn't, when a game has an update available, most times that you try launching it the Wii U will tell you that you have to download an update for the game first, or at least tell you that there is an update. Twilight Princess HD doesn't do this, at least not for the US releases.

I was wondering, does anyone know what the deal is with this update and why it's effectively disabled for "legitimate" download?

Has anyone downloaded the update and played the game with it?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I noticed something curious while using NUSspli, namely that there's a Twilight Princess HD update on the eshop servers for the US version of the game. The curious part is that neither the disc nor the eshop version of TPHD will ever trigger this update when launching the game.

I'm sure absolutely everyone here is already aware of this but just in case someone somehow isn't, when a game has an update available, most times that you try launching it the Wii U will tell you that you have to download an update for the game first, or at least tell you that there is an update. Twilight Princess HD doesn't do this, at least not for the US releases.

I was wondering, does anyone know what the deal is with this update and why it's effectively disabled for "legitimate" download?

Has anyone downloaded the update and played the game with it?
Could be the update is for day one realise of the game and that later versions of the disc and on the eshop had the update added to the game code.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can see what version you have of the game with the versions.bin. put in a hex editor, look for the title id in hex or rather search for it. then the 13 and 14th byte on the same line will be the version. convert the hex to decimal to see the actual version.

Reactions: AmandaRose

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, it actually says the latest that can be installed to prevent downgrading, so if you have the same or later version, it will not tell there's an update. if you were trying to install a lower version, say with wup, the game will not boot. I forgot the message, but the game won't work in that event.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Had a look into it: The main game (available on eShop) is version 81 while the NUS has updates to version 64 and 81... So yea, as AmandaRose told, there are probably multiiple (3?) disc revisions. In case you have a disc with version 81 there's no need to update.

//EDIT: BTW: To look for versions it's more simple to look at http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database which is (part of, we're also using things from a hacker team that doesn't want to get named but that's just for calculating the encryption keys) what NUSspli uses to build its title database, too... ;)

Reactions: AmandaRose

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, that's interesting. I was under the false impression that how updates worked on Wii U was that you had the base game and the updates separate, such that the base game was never "updated" on its own but only through separate updates you downloaded, since they're separate in data management. For some reason I didn't think Wii U released revisions on discs the way they've done pretty much since the NES either. Kind of a silly assumption -- of course they'd have revisions on discs.

I wonder, why is it that some games that get updates don't incorporate it into the base download version as well?

Hm. Damn. I thought I could see what version of the disc I had by eyeballing it, but the product number on the disc is the same for both v64 and v81 according to V10lator's link in the post above, and the only code on the other side is a barcode. That's odd, I would've thought the revision would get a slightly different number, like I believe they did with GameCube revisions such as Metroid Prime. Anyway, I don't care enough to check, it's probably v81 since there's no update prompt.

I would've thought for sure I'd have the earlier revision, since I thought I got the game very close to launch. I got the amiibo version because I wanted Wolf Link for Breath of the Wild (and then when that came out I basically never used him, lol).

It's especially weird to me because the European and North American releases came out the same day, and the European disc only came in v81 according to the title database...

Oh well, I got the answer to the question I asked and learned something new about Wii U game updates too, I'm satisfied.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, that's interesting. I was under the false impression that how updates worked on Wii U was that you had the base game and the updates separate, such that the base game was never "updated" on its own but only through separate updates you downloaded, since they're separate in data management. For some reason I didn't think Wii U released revisions on discs the way they've done pretty much since the NES either. Kind of a silly assumption -- of course they'd have revisions on discs.

I wonder, why is it that some games that get updates don't incorporate it into the base download version as well?

Hm. Damn. I thought I could see what version of the disc I had by eyeballing it, but the product number on the disc is the same for both v64 and v81 according to V10lator's link in the post above, and the only code on the other side is a barcode. That's odd, I would've thought the revision would get a slightly different number, like I believe they did with GameCube revisions such as Metroid Prime. Anyway, I don't care enough to check, it's probably v81 since there's no update prompt.

I would've thought for sure I'd have the earlier revision, since I thought I got the game very close to launch. I got the amiibo version because I wanted Wolf Link for Breath of the Wild (and then when that came out I basically never used him, lol).

It's especially weird to me because the European and North American releases came out the same day, and the European disc only came in v81 according to the title database...

Oh well, I got the answer to the question I asked and learned something new about Wii U game updates too, I'm satisfied.
I found the update and base game in my versions.bin. from what I've seen in the past, the update itself doesn't increase, but the base game does. however, in this case, both are 00 00. I don't know if this is a special case of both being incorporated or not. I dunno.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse