Did they kill Kingdom Hearts with making too many new games?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
arpeejajo said:
I stopped playing the games after KH2. The part that they really screwed up on was making Sephiroth beatable in KH2. o.o

The fact that he was beatable or the fact that he was hardly beatable? I had to use cheats to beat Sephiroth in KH2. I beat him legit (after grinding to like level 80) in KH1.
I never had any trouble with either Sephiroth fight, KH2's was easier than the first. Playing on critical mode in Final Mix (the hardest difficulty there is), he's actually easier than some of the other bosses in the game. I felt Roxas was the hardest boss, even harder than Xaldin (again, he is only fightable in the Japan-only Final Mix). If you want a real challenge and happen to have Final Mix, go refight all the organization members' data forms in the Cavern of Remembrance on critical mode. THEN you get to a REAL fight- Lingering Sentiment. It's Terra's armor reanimated, and hard as hell. Good luck with that.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the point isn't that too many new games are killing the series, but a lack of the one "proper" game that everyone's been waiting for; KH2 was released in 2006, despite having 4 years to think about it Square are in no hurry to actually make KH3 which lets be honest, is a game we'd much rather see. Backstory is alright, but just not as much fun.

If I'd played KH1 and 2 in the year they were released then Id've been even more disappointed with 358/2 Days after waiting so long for a new title to come out. Days wasn't great, the missions got old fast, the storyline was all over the place, half the stuff in it was utterly pointless and it only got good near the end. I haven't played BBS (platform-jumping rant saved for another day) and Re:Coded isn't out here till January so I don't know what they're like, but if they are just as bad as Days then I can see where you're coming from.

I don't agree about CoM though, while the card gameplay was dull as dishwater the story was just brilliant; I loved how the two storylines overlapped, it completely changed my opinion of Riku as a character and explained a lot of what was going on at the start of KH2. CoM is supposed to be played in between KH1 and 2, if you played it after KH2 then I don't think it would've worked so well because by then you know some extra stuff that you shouldn't.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When they do make a KH3, I want it to be the final game. Make it one biiiig game. I don't care if it has to use 50gb or whatever for the Blu-Ray and multiple DVD's for the Xbox 360. Make it one big game, answer all the questions so we don't have to read ultimania or anything like that.

SubliminalSegue

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
When they do make a KH3, I want it to be the final game. Make it one biiiig game. I don't care if it has to use 50gb or whatever for the Blu-Ray and multiple DVD's for the Xbox 360. Make it one big game, answer all the questions so we don't have to read ultimania or anything like that.

Pffft. Good luck with that one.

I liked Birth By Sleep before I tossed my PSP in a ditch, but sadly, it's getting a little bit nuts. You find a cash cow and you milk it till it's teats are tapped.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SubliminalSegue said:
ShadowSoldier said:

I liked Birth By Sleep before I tossed my PSP in a ditch, but sadly, it's getting a little bit nuts. You find a cash cow and you milk it till it's teats are tapped.

It is getting a bit ridiculous. If anything, I just wish they would bring out a full game on the home consoles, because putting all this filler onto our plates... for me anyways, I'm just going to walk away from the series because I had enough.

I respect games that have great stories in them. Like Halo, it has a very deep story overall not just the [lol im chief bang bang bang] story. And it was enough to make me wanting to come back.

But Kingdom Hearts, while it may have a good story, they're bringing out all these games that are either answering nothing or asking more. And it's losing me.

SubliminalSegue

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
SubliminalSegue said:
ShadowSoldier said:

It is getting a bit ridiculous. If anything, I just wish they would bring out a full game on the home consoles, because putting all this filler onto our plates... for me anyways, I'm just going to walk away from the series because I had enough.

I respect games that have great stories in them. Like Halo, it has a very deep story overall not just the [lol im chief bang bang bang] story. And it was enough to make me wanting to come back.

But Kingdom Hearts, while it may have a good story, they're bringing out all these games that are either answering nothing or asking more. And it's losing me.

I think Organization XIII (with the exception of Axel) is the biggest group of queers in gaming history.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FireGrey said:
Ehh i hated spinoffs especially spinoff series.
It's what turned my love for Ratchet and Clank into hatred...

I'm sorry but they released tooo many of those games too fast.

There's what, 4 on the ps2, 2 on the ps3, 1 on the PSP, and there's 1 Secret Agent Clank on the PSP? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a shame to see series like R&C and Kingdom Hearts do this. I would have been perfectly happy if they released 1, released 2, released BbS, then release 3. But he's taken on so many projects, and he's giving us all this sidecrap.. it's ruining the series IN MY OPINION.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
FireGrey said:
Ehh i hated spinoffs especially spinoff series.
It's what turned my love for Ratchet and Clank into hatred...

I'm sorry but they released tooo many of those games too fast.

There's what, 4 on the ps2, 2 on the ps3, 1 on the PSP, and there's 1 Secret Agent Clank on the PSP? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a shame to see series like R&C and Kingdom Hearts do this. I would have been perfectly happy if they released 1, released 2, released BbS, then release 3. But he's taken on so many projects, and he's giving us all this sidecrap.. it's ruining the series IN MY OPINION.
It seems like RaC went downhill since Ratchet Gladiator...
KH 3D better be KH3...

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wtf..I never even heard of Deadlocked.

And would you be surprised if 3D was KH3? It's probably going to be such a crucial part of the story where if you don't play it, you won't have a clue what the hell is going on in KH3.

And I'm not saying KH games are bad, I just find their quality, bombed after KH1.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
prowler_ said:
I like how Square Enix doesn't have to worry about the haters, they still buy the games anyway.

Actually, the last KH game I bought, was KH1. KH2 I just borrowed from a friend, days I never bought because I'm not a fan of paying for spin-offs. Birth By Sleep my friend bought me, but I returned it the next day for store credit. [I downloaded the .iso for my psp]

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KH3D isn't going to be the third numbered game. It is one of possibly a couple of games that connect to KH3 though, and is being given similar treatment as BBS in terms of story according to the developers. Meaning the story may be on par with a main numbered title.

And i think prowler_ meant that Square Enix isn't worried about what haters say because a few people who hate the series are irrelevant to them. The series sells extremely well. They aren't about to change a winning formula.

Personally, my issue isn't the complicated story, or the story in general. It's the amount of filler that isn't relevant the the main story. Cut out all the fat from every game, and you'd have far less actual relevant game, probably cutting down the amount of games to about a third or so of what it is now...

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hell to the no !! The more kingdom hearts game The better, end of story
yay.gif
(well at least that's what i think)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eighteen said:
Hell to the no !! The more kingdom hearts game The better, end of story
yay.gif
(well at least that's what i think)

Iono, it has to end soon. If not, just do main title games, no more side story crap. Otherwise it's going to lose all the "WOW" factors it has, even if it's still a little bit.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll be very disappointed then. Not only are there a good number of games to release before KH3 (which will not be started until Versus 13 is out btw, confirmed), but they have no intention on stopping the series with the release of KH3.

All KH games that are released from the beginning, until KH3 are something the developers are dubbing "the Xehanort Saga". They have plans for a very very long running series after the current chain of events is done. Perhaps without Sora as the main character, and with a new villain entirely. Unless something happens to magically stop people from buying the games, the series will not stop.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
KH3D isn't going to be the third numbered game. It is one of possibly a couple of games that connect to KH3 though, and is being given similar treatment as BBS in terms of story according to the developers. Meaning the story may be on par with a main numbered title.

And i think prowler_ meant that Square Enix isn't worried about what haters say because a few people who hate the series are irrelevant to them. The series sells extremely well. They aren't about to change a winning formula.

Personally, my issue isn't the complicated story, or the story in general. It's the amount of filler that isn't relevant the the main story. Cut out all the fat from every game, and you'd have far less actual relevant game, probably cutting down the amount of games to about a third or so of what it is now...

A lot of the spin-offs are filled with well...filler because each game has it's connection to another one, but there's not enough they can do with each game to make the whole thing plot-relevant. If you cut out all the filler from CoM, you hardly have a full game. You'd have pretty much half a game since Riku's storyline wouldn't really be touched.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying they should leave the spaces blank where they cut the filler out. Just come up with something relevant, interesting, and fun. Birth By Sleep kept things pretty relevant and interesting (for me).

I'd say Riku's story was pretty relevant on the whole (and i found him fun to play as, maybe more so than Sora), but his story suffered from the same issues as Sora's- Disney Worlds. Except his don't even have cutscenes at all, making them the epitome of irrelevant...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0