Hacking Did I brick?

D

Deleted User

Yes, sadly it's bricked as GPIO controls quite a bit of the input on the 3DS. I assume you ran the downgrade checker as a > 9.5 NAND would have the incorrect GPIO for 9.2 (although leaving it there doesn't really cause issues)

The problem that he didn't warn you about is that once you delete that title, you should've immediately reinstalled it from the proper CIA while still in FBI. Rebooting with the system title missing will lead to a brick.

=(

Sheikah Impa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, sadly it's bricked as GPIO controls quite a bit of the input on the 3DS. I assume you ran the downgrade checker as a > 9.5 NAND would have the incorrect GPIO for 9.2 (although leaving it there doesn't really cause issues)

The problem that he didn't warn you about is that once you delete that title, you should've immediately reinstalled it from the proper CIA while still in FBI. Rebooting with the system title missing will lead to a brick.

=(
Well that sucks a lot.

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see that you got another one. Please stick to Plailect's guide for downgrading, setting up RedNAND or setting up arm9loaderhax.

Also, if you got any questions, you are welcome to post them on the forums here, so that several people can view the answers and warn you if someone is just trolling you or talking about stuff that they don't fully understand.

P.S.: don't forget to format your N3DS prior to downgrading to be sure that il will succeed, the reason for it being this.

P.P.S: Good luck!

xIce101x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people think it's OK to brick their 3ds through their own stupidity then return it to the store for a new one? You wouldn't buy a car and drive it out the garage 10 mins later crash it and return it to the garage for an new one so why why is it OK to do it with electronic goods???
The store returns it to manufacturer and gets a new unit shipped or credited back for the return. They can't resell an opened video game console.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Sheikah Impa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had just gotten a 3ds today, and I listened to someone on the irc on how to downgrade it. He told me to check to check if I had downgraded the system then to check https://gbatemp.net/threads/potential-reason-for-random-errors-on-n3ds-after-downgrading.410075/ from the log I got. After awhile, I had only two codes. 0004013000001B02 and 0004003000009E02. He told me to go into FBI and delete 0004013000001B02. I checked multiple times it was that one I deleted, then restarted, only to have a black screen but the power light on. The guy said he'd done it, and it worked and that multiple people did it and it worked. But I don't see how mine didn't. He claims I deleted the wrong one, but I checked carefully before I did it. Am I hard bricked?It wont even boot into recovery.
I see that you got another one. Please stick to Plailect's guide for downgrading, setting up RedNAND or setting up arm9loaderhax.

Also, if you got any questions, you are welcome to post them on the forums here, so that several people can view the answers and warn you if someone is just trolling you or talking about stuff that they don't fully understand.

P.S.: don't forget to format your N3DS prior to downgrading to be sure that il will succeed, the reason for it being this.

P.P.S: Good luck!
Which is better RedNand or arm9loaderhax?

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Which is better RedNand or arm9loaderhax?

TL;DR: My personal preference goes to A9LH (and I think most of the Tempers will agree), but RedNAND and A9LH are not the same thing at all. If you'd like to read a bit more, I'll proceed to explaining a bit in depth, while trying to be no too technical or confusing.

Let's start with clearing up a few terms here:

SysNAND: your actual system that is installed on your console, and on which the console firmware runs
EmuNAND/RedNAND: both are pretty much the same, and are a copy of your SysNAND that is installed to your SD card, and on which runs a custom firmware
Custom Firmware (CFW): a modified version of the console firmware, that lets you, among other cool things, install and run unsigned applications and games

What I meant by RedNAND was that basically you will have:

• Your SysNAND downgraded to version 9.2, which is a version that contains system exploits that enable us to "control" the console a bit deeper
• An EmuNAND/RedNAND, on which you can freely install games and homebrew, and that you can update to the latest version while still having a hacked console

The downside of this is, while it is faster to setup than A9LH, the boot time is pretty long (you technically have to boot to SysNAND and then to RedNAND). Also, if you come to update your SysNAND from 9.2 to a more recent version, your console will lose access to the hacks and the EmuNAND.

Now, arm9loaderhax (A9LH):

It is a system exploit that gives us control of the console very early during boot, and once it's installed, it's there forever (unless you explicitly overwrite it).
It IS a bit longer to setup than just setting up a RedNAND and booting to it with a custom firmware, but it gives you:

• Very fast boot times (6 to 8 seconds): it boots directly to a custom firmware on SysNAND
• You don't have to keep a RedNAND on your SD card, so you win 1 to 1.2 GB on your SD card
• You can update your SysNAND to the latest official version and never worry about loosing access to the hacks
• A protection against bricking your SysNAND (= rendering it unusable). Since A9LH is available early on boot, you can make backups of your SysNAND and restore them, so even if you screw up you can flash a backup

You might also want to check the FAQ of Plailect's guide.

EDIT: in the FAQ:

Luma3DS is the most popular custom firmware nowadays
A CIA is a file that contains a game or an app and that you can install to the console

Last edited by Kyojin, , Reason: added Luma3DS and CIA explanations
Reactions: Temarile

Purge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure there is a difference between pirating and committing retail theft. Would pirates also justify shoplifting?
Sure they may be different in that pirating doesn't require you to go to a store and steal something, but they're both morally wrong. Pirating a game for 3DS doesn't limit you to single player like it does on PC (unless you use tunngle, which really isn't the same). You get full online functionality and can interact with/play against people who actually bought the game. In essence, it is the exact same thing as stealing the game unless you plan to purchase it after trying it out, which the vast majority of pirates don't do.

I'm a pirate myself, but I'm not going to pretend that what I'm doing isn't morally wrong. Sure, the implications of my actions are far less likely to be negative than if I were to go to GameStop, pocket 10 games and attempt to walk out the door, but that doesn't change that piracy is still morally wrong, albeit a lot less risky.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1