Potential reason for random errors on N3DS after downgrading?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aroth, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Original OP, for posterity

Figured I would update this to reflect what was discovered and to consolidate information.

First and foremost, there are a total of FIVE titles that you will need to check for after completing a downgrade to 9.2.

The following four titles will need to be downgraded if they have a version higher than what is listed. If any of these four titles need to be downgraded, you can acquire them from an O3DS 9.2 update/downgrade package for your region. Use sysupdater to install them.

DO NOT UNDER, ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE FBI TO DELETE THESE TITLES!!!
    DOING SO WILL BRICK YOUR SYSTEM!!!

Details of this guide have been hidden in a spoiler in an attempt to get more people to read the above disclaimer before continuing, and hopefully cut down on the number of system bricks resulting from people not reading it.

READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE DELETING OR INSTALLING ANY TITLE DISCUSSED IN THIS GUIDE!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by Aroth, May 25, 2016

2. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    After going over another user's downgraded 9.2 2DS sysnand, there are three titles that do not get "downgraded" when going from 10.3 to 9.2.

The nfc system-module (O3DS/2DS and N3DS have unique titles), the amiibo settings application and something called fangate_updater (O3DS/2DS only). All three titles were introduced in the 9.3 update, and did not exist when 9.2 was released, so they would need to be manually deleted after the downgrade. There may be others as well for the N3DS, I do not know, not to mention the few titles that received updates between 9.3 and 10.3 that were not part of the 9.0 SOAP response because they were already present on all N3DS systems.

MelonGx and Gluupor like this.
  3. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Currently working on building a full title list for 9.0 and 9.2 on the N3DS, and in the process figuring out which titles are not getting downgraded properly when moving from 10.3 to 9.2. Hopefully the end result will be a COMPLETE 9.2 downgrade package for N3DS users.

I have already encountered 11 titles that are on my factory 9.0 sysnand that are not in the "9.0 update package" on that iso site. So far none of them actually received updates between 9.3 and 10.3 though.

Gluupor likes this.
  4. pkmz

pkmz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2014
    United States
    Thank you. I think this is a great idea and will fix a lot of issues.

Could be similiar to the browser like people who used game carts to update didnt get the browser.

Thank you for your time and doing this.

5. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    It is basically the same concept, only backwards.

6. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Should I update my 3DS back to 10.3 while I can?

7. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Nah, if I can figure out what exact titles need to be removed and/or downgraded still, it should be a simple matter of fixing those titles.

8. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Thanks a lot. I have an old and a New 3DS, no errors since downgrading.

9. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    I've gone through 108 titles so far and only found 1 that actually gets updated between 9.3 and 10.3 that isn't included with the 9.2 package. Not 100% sure what it does, but chances are it's a service of some sort since its present on the O3DS as well.

Only other one of note so far is that my NAND dump has content for amiibo settings, but the title doesn't show up in FBI on my sysnand. This is weird because the title itself isn't added to the SOAP reply until 9.3

10. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Try DevMenu! And what is the title id?

11. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    DevMenu doesn't show installed nand titles, plus I am looking at sysnand so I am limited to the hb version of FBI.

The title I found that needs to be downgraded separately is 0004001B00010802 and the version you need can be found in the 6.3.0-12 update package for the O3DS.

The weird title is 0004003000009E02 and is the amiibo settings application. It shouldn't be present on my nand (and in fact FBI does not see it, I only know its there because the folder exists in my nand dump) so I am not sure whats up with that.

Keep in mind that these titles are for the USA version of the console and that I would highly suggest you not mess around with it if unless you have a hard mod. Especially if you aren't experiencing any problems yet.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Found another.

0004009B00010402, updated in 7.0.0-13 and then again in 9.6.0-24. Downgraded users will still have the 9.6 version, and they should need the 7.0 one.

Same as before, purpose of the title is unknown, but its presence in both Old and New 3DS implies a service of some sort.

12. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Well, I still have an EmuNAND to mess around in! ;)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So basically, we should downgrade to 1.0, then upgrade from there for maximum stability. :P It would need a CN cart, though.

13. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    There is a good deal more involved than just that, but basically yeah.

For O3DS users they just need to do the downgrade and then delete 3 titles that were added in 9.3 related to the nfc and amiibo stuff (though since the same titles are present in 9.0 on the N3DS it might not matter).

For N3DS users, new 9.2 downgrade packs need to be created with ALL titles added. Or at least the 2 titles I found that were updated. Here in a bit I will update the OP with a full title list for the N3DS on factory 9.0. Since 9.2 was just an update to two titles (Cver, as always, and the Home Menu) it should be fairly simple to go from my 9.0 title list to the 9.2 one.

indionicarao likes this.
  14. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    since those titles weren't present in 9.2 , there is no need to delete them , since the 9.2 won't call them at all , besides , everybody who downgrade a 3ds will use emunand and update it to get the latest one , which means installing them again if deleted before

15. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    For O3DS users this is likely the case. Which is why we have very few instances of O3DS users having weird problems.

For N3DS users there are 2 titles I have discovered that get updated in 9.3+ but that are not included in the 9.0/9.2 update packages because every N3DS ships with the title installed. These titles could be responsible for some of the random errors.

16. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    i agreee with you for those titles in the N3ds , but like i said , for o3ds it's not a problem
    people can always try to downgrade to a lower version ,(either gateway downgrader or the original sysupdater) then upgrade normally

17. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Below is a list of all titles that come preinstalled on a N3DS-XL that shipped with 9.0.0-20U.

Titles are broken down by TIDHigh and then listed in numerical order by TIDLow. Included is the version (in hex) of the title that come installed on factory 9.0 N3DS systems, as well as the Product Code (if applicable) and name of the service (if known).

Titles preceded by "***" are titles that are are not included in the 9.0.0-20U update package for the N3DS. These titles were culled from the update SOAP reply due to all N3DS devices in the region shipping with at least the version listed. These have the last version they were updated in listed to the side. All such titles are used by both the N3DS and the O3DS.

Titles preceded by "####" are not included in the 9.0/9.2 update packages, but were updated at some point between 9.3 and 10.3. As a result they are not downgraded during the current downgrade process. It is possible that these titles are responsible for some of the strange errors and unexplained bricks experienced by N3DS users during and after downgrading. As before, these titles have the last pre-9.0 FW revision they were updated in listed to the side, as well as the 9.3+ FW that updated them.

USA N3DS 9.0 Factory Title List

For users on 9.2 wishing to use this list as a reference, you should have the following two titles listed with the following version numbers:

Code:
        Title ID        |   Version   |    Product Code    |    Service Name
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0004003000008F02    |    0x3000   |    [CTR-N-HMME]    |    Home Menu
    000400DB00017302    |    0x2420   |        <N/A>       |    CVer

In addition, the following title is the same as the "bluecardfix.cia" that is used to allow blocked DS flashcarts to run again, so if you installed that to sysnand in order to use the GW Blue Cart (or another DS flash cart), the version will read as 0x0.

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0004800F484E4841    |    0x2c00   |        <N/A>       |    Nintendo DS Cart Whitelist

Last edited by Aroth, Jan 19, 2016
    ihaveamac and Gluupor like this.
  18. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Below is a list of all titles that come preinstalled on a N3DS-XL that shipped with 9.0.0-20E.

Titles are broken down by TIDHigh and then listed in numerical order by TIDLow. Included is the version (in hex) of the title that come installed on factory 9.0 N3DS systems, as well as the Product Code (if applicable) and name of the service (if known).

Titles preceded by "***" are titles that are are not included in the 9.0.0-20U update package for the N3DS. These titles were culled from the update SOAP reply due to all N3DS devices in the region shipping with at least the version listed. These have the last version they were updated in listed to the side. All such titles are used by both the N3DS and the O3DS.

Titles preceded by "####" are not included in the 9.0/9.2 update packages, but were updated at some point between 9.3 and 10.3. As a result they are not downgraded during the current downgrade process. It is possible that these titles are responsible for some of the strange errors and unexplained bricks experienced by N3DS users during and after downgrading. As before, these titles have the last pre-9.0 FW revision they were updated in listed to the side, as well as the 9.3+ FW that updated them.

WARNING!!!!
    Due to lack of a physical EUR N3DS in my possession to check with FBI, I cannot guarantee that this title list is 100% complete and accurate in regards to "Version" and "Product Code". The list was generated by cross-referencing a decrypted NAND dump of a factory 9.0 sysnand and the SOAP replies listed on Yellows8's website.
    (Thanks to @Krude, this warning is no longer applicable)

EUR N3DS 9.0 Factory Title List

For users on 9.2 wishing to use this list as a reference, you should have the following two titles listed with the following version numbers:

Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0004003000009802    |    0x3000   |    [CTR-N-HMME]    |    Home Menu
    000400DB00017102    |    0x2420   |        <N/A>       |    CVer
    In addition, the following title is the same as the "bluecardfix.cia" that is used to allow blocked DS flashcarts to run again, so if you installed that to sysnand in order to use the GW Blue Cart (or another DS flash cart), the version will read as 0x0.

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0004800F484E4841    |    0x2c00   |        <N/A>       |    Nintendo DS Cart Whitelist
    Many thanks to @Krude for providing the NAND dump that I used to compile this, as well as taking the time to thoroughly document the product codes and versions listed in FBI on his sysnand. Without his assistance I would not have this list.

Last edited by Aroth, Jan 19, 2016
  19. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    I'm this user. Yay for progress.

20. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    The nfc/amiibo stuff actually did ship on 9.0 N3DS systems.