Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Here are some other comments made by our almighty developer on another thread:
While that is nice, it's not what the OP is talking about, as I assume that's still using GC controllers and all that jazz.
No it doesn't. It uses SD or USB instead of the disk and/or memory cards and work has begun on adding wiimote support. All hardware with the exception of the graphics card is virtualized (which could also be done but there's no need for it).
DIOS MIOS runs in gamecube mode, scans for a bunch of specific functions when the game starts and patches them. Devolution runs direct from HBC like any other homebrew app and executes the game in a virtual environment - all wii hardware is still available and any patching is dynamic (as the code is executed).
It would be completely feasible for nintendo to do it, especially with the extra "mini" cores on the new CPU. Plus I'm sure they'd have more than one guy working one day a week on it.
I thought I'd bring them here since they do add some interesting technical details on how it all works.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A brand new copy of Odama complete with microphone just fell into my lap, so "gamecube microphone emulation using a USB (guitar hero/rock band) microphone" just got added to the list of goals after controller emulation.

Wii speak mic would be great although I'm happy for whatever mic to be added in since the GC mic cable is so short.
Its a real shame there was no wii port of this title that took advantage of the accelerometer and other extras that the wii could add to what is already a great game.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
I wamt more concrete confirmation...
...would I be able to put GameCube and Wii games on the same disc then be able to run both types of games? If so, what disk formatting type should I use?

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I wamt more concrete confirmation...
...would I be able to put GameCube and Wii games on the same disc then be able to run both types of games? If so, what disk formatting type should I use?
Devolution is a USB loader for playing Gamecube games from hard disc. It requires FAT32.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
would I be able to put GameCube and Wii games on the same disc then be able to run both types of games?
There should be no problem putting multiple types on the same disk.

What I really want is to be able to have multiple hard drives plugged in at the same time. most cIOS (and therefore most loaders) will only open the bottom port. It would be nice if Devolution actually defaulted to the top port (or had some sort of option) so I could separate my games out and save space.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
would I be able to put GameCube and Wii games on the same disc then be able to run both types of games?
There should be no problem putting multiple types on the same disk.

What I really want is to be able to have multiple hard drives plugged in at the same time. most cIOS (and therefore most loaders) will only open the bottom port. It would be nice if Devolution actually defaulted to the top port (or had some sort of option) so I could separate my games out and save space.

Riivolution supports both USB ports, so why wouldn't Devolution?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Riivolution supports both USB ports, so why wouldn't Devolution?
That's always a good sign, it certainly can be done.
I haven't really tried that much but the few tests I've had with running homebrew with multiple hard drives wasn't too much of a success.
Of course, what few apps I tried were just designed to look at the first partition. If they couldn't comprehend multiple partitions it's doubtful they would be able to handle multiple hard drives regardless of whether they were connected on separate ports, through a hub, or multiple drives on the same device. I'll have to play around with it once it comes out.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you use an IOS with proper USB support (i.e. IOS58) and not some crappy cIOS, both slots are supported fine. And I'm fairly confident Devolution will use IOS58, seeing as it is the only clean IOS that supports USB2.0.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Only outdated cIOSes that nobody uses anymore don't support both USB slots. cIOSes that are used today by the masses support both USB slots just fine.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Only outdated cIOSes that nobody uses anymore don't support both USB slots. cIOSes that are used today by the masses support both USB slots just fine.
Ok, maybe I shouldn't have used the word "most"
but
d2x actually doesn't support both USB ports and it's the main one these days.
d2x v9 WILL support it but that feature hasn't been included in any of the publicly released betas yet.

Even as such, I would be willing to put both hard drives on a hub in the same port if I knew it would work.

Fizzlicous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Devolution the only method of loading Gamecube games via usb? I have been searching around and I haven't necessarily found anything else except Dios Mios but there isn't a download for it.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Devolution the only method of loading Gamecube games via usb? I have been searching around and I haven't necessarily found anything else except Dios Mios but there isn't a download for it.

there isn't a download for devolution either. Both are being worked on and have yet to be released

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
That's why this is titled a "speculation" thread. It's not out yet but [member='tueidj'] is working on it.

EDIT : looks like [member='shano56'] beat me to it.

Reactions: 1 person

Fizzlicous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

there isn't a download for devolution either. Both are being worked on and have yet to be released

Alright, thanks for the quick reply. Dying for devo to be released as I assume everyone is.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not really.

Those who have original gamecube games used those from before the wii even existed.
Those who have old disk drives went with backup discs and cMIOS years ago. (

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really.

Those who were willing to pay for it got a Wode years ago.
Those who didn't mind having only a handful of games ready to play (on SD) and the rest to be swapped out when needed went with DML.
Those who have a gamecube went with swiss.

So...yeah. There'll certainly be people interested when it's released, but the ones that really want to play GC games are already busy doing it.

Those who really want to play GC games probably already do it on their Wii, because it has this fancy thing called an MIOS which happens to allow gamecube compatibility :P /trollface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, btw how are you?