Hacking Devolution - Public Release

prezisecore

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi,

I bought an new ps3 orginal sixassic controller to play gamecube games with it. if it was cord with usb cable the conroller works very good. but i had many problems to activate the wirelsess function.
after all i found a solution i would like to share if someone have the same problem.

I have tried the button combo L1 + R1 after starting a gamecube game (in both activitie modes). but the controller could not sync to the wii. after a few days an trials i have found a solution.

1. google and install the sixaxes pair tool for windows.
2. start the tool and connect the ps3 controller to the pc.
3. the tool shows the actuall master bluetooth adress that is written in the controller (the controller searching this hardware every time the ps button press)
4. in my case the bluetooth adress was 00:00:00:00:00:00
5. change the mac to the wii wlan mac of your wii (you can find it in the wii system settings)
6. after that connect the controller to wii and start a gamecube game.
7. now press the ps button until the controller is in -inactivity mode-. (the led flashes constantly)
8. press start till the controller is set as port 1.
9. press the buttons L1 + R1 to sync the controller to the wii. (the wii bluetooth mac ist now written to the controller memory)
10. after that unplug the usb cable
11. have fun with good old games and wireless controller.

please consider the readme.txt file that comes with the devolution app for more information.
i am not a programmer, but i think the ps3 controller memory have to be to initialize / format to work with the wii.

please do all this at your own risk. use this method only if the normal method dont work.
maybe the controller could not be used with the ps3 after this method. i have no ps3, so i cant test it.

thanks tueidj for this great software :)

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So speaking of various testing, it was previously stated that using WIT to compress ISOs would give better compatibility with Devolution that using DiscEX/DMTools would.

Now I hardly did any indepth testing, but right away I found that Nintendo Puzzle Collection did not work in Devolution when compressed with WIT but DID work when compressed with DiscEX (haven't tried DMTools yet). This is quite significant since the game compresses all the way to ~150MB.

And just to make sure I didn't derp something up with my WIT workflow, I can confirm that both TimeSplitters games and Four Sword Adventures worked with WIT (haven't tested them with DiscEX or DMTools yet).

EDIT: Well for one thing the WIT-compressed version of Nintendo Puzzle Collection is SMALLER in filesize than when compressed with DiscEX! This is directly counter to what was previously stated (that is, WIT would be larger).

EDIT 2: Just tested both TimeSplitters and Four Swords Adventures with DiscEX and both games worked. Still haven't tested DMTools though.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Hi,

I bought an new ps3 orginal sixassic controller to play gamecube games with it. if it was cord with usb cable the conroller works very good. but i had many problems to activate the wirelsess function.
after all i found a solution i would like to share if someone have the same problem.

I have tried the button combo L1 + R1 after starting a gamecube game (in both activitie modes). but the controller could not sync to the wii. after a few days an trials i have found a solution.

1. google and install the sixaxes pair tool for windows.
2. start the tool and connect the ps3 controller to the pc.
3. the tool shows the actuall master bluetooth adress that is written in the controller (the controller searching this hardware every time the ps button press)
4. in my case the bluetooth adress was 00:00:00:00:00:00
5. change the mac to the wii wlan mac of your wii (you can find it in the wii system settings)
6. after that connect the controller to wii and start a gamecube game.
7. now press the ps button until the controller is in -inactivity mode-. (the led flashes constantly)
8. press start till the controller is set as port 1.
9. press the buttons L1 + R1 to sync the controller to the wii. (the wii bluetooth mac ist now written to the controller memory)
10. after that unplug the usb cable
11. have fun with good old games and wireless controller.

please consider the readme.txt file that comes with the devolution app for more information.
i am not a programmer, but i think the ps3 controller memory have to be to initialize / format to work with the wii.

please do all this at your own risk. use this method only if the normal method dont work.
maybe the controller could not be used with the ps3 after this method. i have no ps3, so i cant test it.

thanks tueidj for this great software :)

Actually, the readme for devolution says that all you have to do is press L3+R3 while devolution is running and the USB is connected to the Wii to sync the PS3 controller to the Wii. (but since I don't actually have one, don't know where those buttons are)

This method is interesting, too, though.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well regardless, I'd like my question regarding the "vaseline filter" to be answered...

From my experience, the Wii's component cables provide much better color than composite, plus comparing VGA to composite is hardly a fair comparison. You should try outputting dolphin through composite and see how that looks.

edit: Looks like this post is older than I thought. Sorry if this isn't still being talked about.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested both TimeSplitters and Four Swords Adventures with DiscEX and both games worked. Still haven't tested DMTools though.

From my experience, the Wii's component cables provide much better color than composite, plus comparing VGA to composite is hardly a fair comparison. You should try outputting dolphin through composite and see how that looks.

edit: Looks like this post is older than I thought. Sorry if this isn't still being talked about.
I figured out the issue anyway - it's the deflicker filter. Melee looks GREAT without it over composite, seriously almost on par with a 640x480 VGA connection if you can believe that. Also my TV amazingly enough does LESS filtering for 240p content than both 480i content and VGA @ 640x480 (I compared Snes9x GX's "original" to "unfiltered" and PC Snes9x without filter - original is very noticeably crisper).

Also interestingly enough, my TV seems to emulate the gamma levels of a 90s CRT as well, which I noticed when comparing Snes9x GX to Snes9x PC. The gamma of the TV over composite looks EXTREMELY similar to the gamma setting that bsnes/higan has, and while great for old 240p consoles it's not the greatest for newer 480i systems...especially when I played said systems on a Sony Trinitron for 10+ years which was actually capable of the modern gamma level standard. >_>

As for component, again, I can't do that since I shorted out my Wii's component output years back when I was "young and foolish". :P Nowadays I know to shield the contacts from each other with tape! (I used said tape with re-wiring a good keyboard that had a borky cord)

EDIT: Uhh, Maxternal, is it just me or is there no link to your sample loader mod in your signature?

Reactions: Maxternal

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, the readme for devolution says that all you have to do is press L3+R3 while devolution is running and the USB is connected to the Wii to sync the PS3 controller to the Wii. (but since I don't actually have one, don't know where those buttons are)
L3 and R3 are the left and right analog sticks, respectively. You can push the sticks "in" like buttons.

NathanFiscus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Is there anyway that someone can create a modified WiiFlow plugin / USB Loader GX / cfg USB Loader / loader.bin that DISABLES the L-Button trigger mode (on classic / classic pro)? The only games I will be using devolution for don't require analog triggers. I would love if someone could just remap the L-Button to the R-Button so that the gamecube "Z" is mapped to BOTH. I would be even more grateful if someone could find a way to disable the home-button stuff. Either on all 4 controllers, or on all except 1. I don't need quick access to any settings whatsoever. So long as the controller starts in the "active" state I will be fine.

I would be unbelievably grateful if someone could help me out with this. If I had the spare cash I would put a $50 bounty on this :D. I just want to make the devolution loaded games more party-friendly!

P.S. is there anyway to exit-to-loader while devolution is running on the Wii U? Power resets the console, since vWii doesn't have BootMii / priiloader.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway that someone can create a modified WiiFlow plugin / USB Loader GX / cfg USB Loader / loader.bin that DISABLES the L-Button trigger mode (on classic / classic pro)? The only games I will be using devolution for don't require analog triggers. I would love if someone could just remap the L-Button to the R-Button so that the gamecube "Z" is mapped to BOTH.
I mentioned such a thing to tueidj, but he seemed indifferent on the issue, so I don't think he'll do anything about it...

I would be even more grateful if someone could find a way to disable the home-button stuff. Either on all 4 controllers, or on all except 1.
Most likely not going to happen because...

I don't need quick access to any settings whatsoever. So long as the controller starts in the "active" state I will be fine.
I also mentioned such a thing to tueidj but he was VERY insistent on the current functionality of requiring the user to press the home button. In particular, it is so that the wii won't forcibly assign the wrong player number to a wiimote, specifically when more than one wiimote is still on but out of reach of the user so that the user doesn't have to get up and grab said out-of-reach wiimote.

(this of course ignores the fact that any wiimote that is off when Devolution is running now requires a two-step process to turn on and then connect)

I did however discover a bit of a "hack" that can work as an auto-connect, but it basically makes the classic controller's home button no longer work. Basically you do some sort of hardware mod that make the classic controller's home button be held down constantly, whether by taping an object to physically hold down the home button or by opening up the controller and making the button contacts always make contact.

NathanFiscus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I mentioned such a thing to tueidj, but he seemed indifferent on the issue, so I don't think he'll do anything about it...

Most likely not going to happen because...

I also mentioned such a thing to tueidj but he was VERY insistent on the current functionality of requiring the user to press the home button. In particular, it is so that the wii won't forcibly assign the wrong player number to a wiimote, specifically when more than one wiimote is still on but out of reach of the user so that the user doesn't have to get up and grab said out-of-reach wiimote.

(this of course ignores the fact that any wiimote that is off when Devolution is running now requires a two-step process to turn on and then connect)

I did however discover a bit of a "hack" that can work as an auto-connect, but it basically makes the classic controller's home button no longer work. Basically you do some sort of hardware mod that make the classic controller's home button be held down constantly, whether by taping an object to physically hold down the home button or by opening up the controller and making the button contacts always make contact.

Damn :/. I totally understand tueidj & his position though.

Maybe there is someone else out there that could help? At least with disabling the trigger-stick. I currently am using USB Loader GX with direct button mapping mod. Since a USB Loader can change the button mapping, I'm wondering if it can just map the L-Button to something else? Or maybe just demap it altogether.

prezisecore

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually, the readme for devolution says that all you have to do is press L3+R3 while devolution is running and the USB is connected to the Wii to sync the PS3 controller to the Wii. (but since I don't actually have one, don't know where those buttons are).

just to clearify

afaik this is configuration of the ps3 controller
please correct it, if something is wrong:

L2+R2 - the normal analog triggers of the ps3 controller
L1+R1 - the digital buttons above the triggers - sync the controller with these buttons (only in inactivity mode)
L3+R3 - the analog sticks buttons - shutdown devolution by pushing both analog sticks down (only in inactivity mode)

mrbigreddog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got Devolution and tried out a few things...

I have a few gamecube disc, but most are scratched beyond repair.

I tried doing the cleanrip anyways, no go.

So I downloaded the iso files of the games, renamed them correctly and put them in the correct folder.

Started up the loader, selected the gamecube game, light flashes twice, i put the correct (heavily scratched) gamecube game in the Wii. Verification complete.

It works like a charm. I guess whatever it checks for these games still works.

So for those out there mad about your damaged gamecube collection. Seems like it will still work anyways.

Reactions: d4mation

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So speaking of various testing, it was previously stated that using WIT to compress ISOs would give better compatibility with Devolution that using DiscEX/DMTools would.

Now I hardly did any indepth testing, but right away I found that Nintendo Puzzle Collection did not work in Devolution when compressed with WIT but DID work when compressed with DiscEX (haven't tried DMTools yet). This is quite significant since the game compresses all the way to ~150MB.

And just to make sure I didn't derp something up with my WIT workflow, I can confirm that both TimeSplitters games and Four Sword Adventures worked with WIT (haven't tested them with DiscEX or DMTools yet).

EDIT: Well for one thing the WIT-compressed version of Nintendo Puzzle Collection is SMALLER in filesize than when compressed with DiscEX! This is directly counter to what was previously stated (that is, WIT would be larger).

EDIT 2: Just tested both TimeSplitters and Four Swords Adventures with DiscEX and both games worked. Still haven't tested DMTools though.

So on the topic of DiscEX (or any compression tools) do I verify the game first with the uncompressed ISO and then try crunching it? Or does it not matter what order I do it in?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe there is someone else out there that could help? At least with disabling the trigger-stick. I currently am using USB Loader GX with direct button mapping mod. Since a USB Loader can change the button mapping, I'm wondering if it can just map the L-Button to something else? Or maybe just demap it altogether.
That button mapping in USB Loader GX is actually a setting built into Devolution - USB Loader GX cannot change the controls itself. If you're feeling adventurous you could always open up your controller and physically remove the button. :P Just make sure you put it in a safe place in case you want to put it back! (I removed the shoulder-button springs from an original classic controller years ago but I somehow lost one spring...)

Nintendo Maniac

Can you ask tueidj about solvind the analog triggers issue for Luigi's Mansion please?
He already knows about the issue. Supposedly the GameCube was originally going to have analog face buttons much like the PlayStation, but it was dropped from the final console hardware. However, the console can still support commands for these analog face buttons, and Luigi's Mansion being a launch game used these instead of the later-standard code for digital button-presses.

Reactions: panmusic

NathanFiscus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
That button mapping in USB Loader GX is actually a setting built into Devolution - USB Loader GX cannot change the controls itself. If you're feeling adventurous you could always open up your controller and physically remove the button. :P Just make sure you put it in a safe place in case you want to put it back! (I removed the shoulder-button springs from an original classic controller years ago but I somehow lost one spring...)

He already knows about the issue. Supposedly the GameCube was originally going to have analog face buttons much like the PlayStation, but it was dropped from the final console hardware. However, the console can still support commands for these analog face buttons, and Luigi's Mansion being a launch game used these instead of the later-standard code for digital button-presses.

I looked further into how devo works and discovered the available settings.

Looks like I need to sell my 4x classic controllers (pro) and buy 4x mayflash gamecube adapters. Anyone interested :P.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's wrong with getting a tri-wing screw driver and just removing the L button yourself?

Also, due to the fact that Devolution doesn't map any GC button to the CC's select button, you have to double-tap the start button for it to work with said mayflash adapter.

Alternatively couldn't you just use a Dual Shock 3?

If you're insistant on selling your CCpros however, I may actually be interested in a few... (I already have one, so no more than 3) That is of course assuming they're at the right price-point for me to be interested.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So on the topic of DiscEX (or any compression tools) do I verify the game first with the uncompressed ISO and then try crunching it? Or does it not matter what order I do it in?
Doesn't matter, the files used for verification doesn't change (if the .iso works "compressed" of course).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Doesn't matter, the files used for verification doesn't change (if the .iso works "compressed" of course).
the file doesn't change but it does seem to hold info about the timestamp of the ISO and maybe more info about it, too, so it'll still be able to detect that the ISO has been altered. It's best to compress it first and THEN verify it.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the file doesn't change but it does seem to hold info about the timestamp of the ISO and maybe more info about it, too, so it'll still be able to detect that the ISO has been altered. It's best to compress it first and THEN verify it.
I personally haven't found there to be a difference whether you compress first or verify first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head