Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alternately, does USB Loader GX support having the disc2.Iso in the same folder as game.Iso? I'd like to give GX a try, but it won't load GC games, even though I got the loader.bin file, put it in the devo_gc (?) folder, and set the right path via GX's settings. :/
AFAIK it's SUPPOSED to, but I myself cannot confirm whether it works.

You could cheat and just use the Wii version of RE4 instead. :P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, USBLoaderGX r1206+ supports both iso in the same subfolder, they should be named game.iso and disc2.iso
It will ALWAYS launch disc1 (it's a devolution behavior). then, when you load your save or need to swap disc, press eject.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've run into something strange with Rebel Strike and I need other people to confirm whether this is an issue with Devolution or an issue with my official Nintendo 251 block memory cards...

With my memory card plugged in, if I turn on my Wii from a cold boot and do nothing else other than load up Devolution and Rebel Strike, the game will say that my memory card is damaged and cannot be used, and selecting "Retry" doesn't help. This does NOT happen if I were to actually launch the game from the disc or if you use an emulated memory card (even if it's a dump of the same exact physical memory card).

However, if I view my GC memory card save data via the Wii Menu's save data settings and THEN load Devolution and Rebel Strike, my memory card will be read perfectly fine.

This happens with both of my official Nintendo 251 block memory cards.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've run into something strange with Rebel Strike and I need other people to confirm whether this is an issue with Devolution or an issue with my official Nintendo 251 block memory cards...

With my memory card plugged in, if I turn on my Wii from a cold boot and do nothing else other than load up Devolution and Rebel Strike, the game will say that my memory card is damaged and cannot be used, and selecting "Retry" doesn't help. This does NOT happen if I were to actually launch the game from the disc or if you use an emulated memory card (even if it's a dump of the same exact physical memory card).

However, if I view my GC memory card save data via the Wii Menu's save data settings and THEN load Devolution and Rebel Strike, my memory card will be read perfectly fine.

I have a Nintendo 251 block memory card, and Devolution was fine with my Rebel Strike save file, but I haven't updated to the latest Devolution yet.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just read some post then i wonder if talkin about "spoofing" the verification disc procedure is permi?
what'choo talkin' bout Willis.

EDIT: In other news, I tested Rebel Strike with an old revision (r169) and it has the exact same "damaged memory card" issue as r200. Maybe it's some form of anti-piracy protection in the game and Devolution is triggering it? I dunno.

mrbigreddog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what'choo talkin' bout Willis.

EDIT: In other news, I tested Rebel Strike with an old revision (r169) and it has the exact same "damaged memory card" issue as r200. Maybe it's some form of anti-piracy protection in the game and Devolution is triggering it? I dunno.

I don't recall this problem. I have this game. And play it on Wii U. When does it say it?

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just read some post then i wonder if talkin about "spoofing" the verification disc procedure is permi?

Future purpose of this thread
- Notification of updates/new releases
- Reporting of bugs (with logs!)
- Queries about the provided source code (within reason)
- Not discussion of the "anti-piracy" (leave the dead horse alone already)
- Not discussion of how to "crack" Devolution - feel free to discuss it elsewhere but keep this thread clean.

Quoted from the very first post. Hopefully that answered your question. :P

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't recall this problem. I have this game. And play it on Wii U. When does it say it?

To quote myself...

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
It seems I found a bug in Soul Calibur 2, in the character selection screen the music stops playing for about 2 seconds then start again, it's a minor bug but I felt it was worth mention it, someone with the game to reconfirm it?

Not sure if the problem will be reflected in wifi logging, since it doesn't freeze the game.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Try defragging the iso with a good utility. I recommend Contig or Defraggler which Defrags single files and does a great job.
It seems I found a bug in Soul Calibur 2, in the character selection screen the music stops playing for about 2 seconds then start again, it's a minor bug but I felt it was worth mention it, someone with the game to reconfirm it?

Not sure if the problem will be reflected in wifi logging, since it doesn't freeze the game.
Let us know if that fixes your issue. Tueidj gave the advice and it fixed up a lot of stuttering/freezes in my ISO's.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used Defraggler in the past for custom BRSTM files, so I can confirm that it works for Wii homebrew. Just make sure you don't do a complete defrag, flash memory doesn't like being written to a lot!

In other news, does nobody else have Rebel Strike and an official 251 block memory card? :(

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Try defragging the iso with a good utility. I recommend Contig or Defraggler which Defrags single files and does a great job. Let us know if that fixes your issue. Tueidj gave the advice and it fixed up a lot of stuttering/freezes in my ISO's.

Yeah, used Defraggler and it seems that was the problem, music plays perfect now :lol:, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: MassiveRican

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to ask your question, but if you use emulated MC, why do you want to use your physical MC?
Because my GameCube still works?

And also because it's still not clear if it's purely an issue on my side or if it's an issue with Devolution itself.

EDIT: Oh, and the flash drive I use isn't big enough to hold all my GameCube games, so I still play from the disc from time to time. I could use an external hard drive, but I only have one and it's purely for archival backups, so I don't want to use it frequently and have it fail on me. It also requires a power outlet, so it's not very portable - heck I think said hard drive is heavier than the Wii is.

And to clarify, my memory card is large enough that it can hold all the saves for all my GameCube games, so it's extremely convenient to just have all my saves in one location, which also makes it super-easy to backup and/or dump my game saves since I can just do a raw dump of the entire memory card itself and use it in Dolphin and/or Devolution without converting anything.

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheap ugly USB drives:
  1. Buy a broken Zune 30 or something like that for $10 (Or any broken device that likely has a perfectly working drive)
  2. Rip it apart and take out the ZIF Drive
  3. Purchase a ZIF to USB adapter
  4. PROFIT (Not really but it fits all my games :lol:)
122.jpg

Reactions: the_randomizer

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.