Hacking Devolution - Public Release

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That button mapping in USB Loader GX is actually a setting built into Devolution - USB Loader GX cannot change the controls itself. If you're feeling adventurous you could always open up your controller and physically remove the button. Just make sure you put it in a safe place in case you want to put it back! (I removed the shoulder-button springs from an original classic controller years ago but I somehow lost one spring...)

He already knows about the issue. Supposedly the GameCube was originally going to have analog face buttons much like the PlayStation, but it was dropped from the final console hardware. However, the console can still support commands for these analog face buttons, and Luigi's Mansion being a launch game used these instead of the later-standard code for digital button-presses.

Thanks for your reply!
Actually,I wonder if you know ( or can ask himself ) if Tueidj wants to solve the issue in a next Devolution revision.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply!
Actually,I wonder if you know ( or can ask himself ) if Tueidj wants to solve the issue in a next Devolution revision.
We got into somewhat of an argument back in July over the home button requirement for wiimote syncing, so since then I try not to pester him by directly asking questions and stuff but rather just call attention issues and things, and even then I keep that to a minimal since he no longer seems to even be replying directly to me. Since said argument I've really only mentioned one thing at all and that was about the deflicker filter, but as expected I got no reply.

Nevertheless, he already knows about the issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if wanting to know if/when an issue will be solved would be considered "being annoying" by him.

tl;dr I think tueidj may be just a bit uptight and could use a vacation or something. He reminds me of byuu of bsnes fame to be honest.

============================================

UPDATE: I figured out my issue. For some crazy reason the uncompressed ISO that I have on my archival-backup external HDD isn't a clean rip, but the compressed ISO I have on the same HDD IS from a clean rip. I think I had the uncompressed ISO back before I knew about cleanrip and didn't realize it wasn't an actual clean ISO, but later when it was discovered that some games work on devolution with DiscEX I made a new rip for whatever reason.

Interestingly enough the uncompressed clean ISO and uncompressed non-clean ISO are the exact same filesize.

Original post said:
Super apologies for double-posting, but I've just run into in wackiest thing and hopefully someone here knows what's going on since you guys know more about DIOS MIOS, DiscEx, and DMTools than I do...

Back in April (link to post) I discovered that Nintendo Puzzle Collection works in Devolution even when compressed via DiscEx. The resulting compressed ISO (which I still have) is 144,449,770 bytes (141,065 KB) and has the following hashes (for the compressed ISO):
MD5: 065bbed07ec35fbe50846329fd83e896
SHA-1: a62c252a0ba0a1360c69f19f9c591f31b46d77b3

Now today I was doing some more testing comparing DiscEX to DMToolbox and Wiimms ISO Tools. As I had stated before, Nintendo Puzzle Collection will not work in Devolution when compressed with WIT, and now I can confirm that it doesn't work with DMToolbox either. So since DMToolbox is supposedly a newer version of DiscEX, I made a newly compressed ISO via DiscEX and so that I could compare the two.

...except the resulting DiscEX-compressed ISO was exactly the same as the DMToolbox-compressed ISO, and therefore did NOT work in Devolution. The compressed ISO filesize is 144,411,442 bytes (141,027 KB) and has the following hashes for the compressed ISO:
MD5: 24b9f983918b2e6fcdfecb62de635d6e
SHA-1: 9d68746f58f3e16284d30fd0f051845bfc4535d0

...what the crap is going on here? I'm using the same DiscEX EXE and BAT file that I've used since the beginning...

And no, I didn't derp up and accidentally try to compress the DMToolbox-compressed ISO. :P

EDIT: I don't know if it's relevent but DiscEX creates a "sys" folder in the same location as the DiscEX-compressed ISO with the following files:
apploader.img
bi2.bin
boot.bin

I don't remember this happening previously, but what do I know. :P

Reactions: panmusic

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I took over my hard drive, my wiimotes, and my sd card to a friends house, hooked it up to his wii, tried to play devo games on it, but the wii keeps wanting verification. What gives? I hook it up to a wiiu and it works just fine.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for clarification, Nintendo Puzzle Collection works perfectly fine in Devolution when compressed with DiscEX, Wiimms ISO Tools, or DMToolbox set to "Auto" - assuming the original uncompressed ISO was an actual clean rip. :P

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mrbigreddog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had good luck with all my Gamecube games with Devolution. Except for Crazy Taxi. I can get Crazy Taxi to work in Devolution on my Wii. But not my Wii U. All other games I have will work on both.. Anyone had this problem? And is there a compatibility list of games that work on Wii U. Or should it be working on both?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I've had good luck with all my Gamecube games with Devolution. Except for Crazy Taxi. I can get Crazy Taxi to work in Devolution on my Wii. But not my Wii U. All other games I have will work on both.. Anyone had this problem? And is there a compatibility list of games that work on Wii U. Or should it be working on both?
Post a WiFi log for that game on the Wii U, then, and with any luck the author will see it and it will end up getting fixed ;)

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there anyone besides me that owns Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly for the GameCube? I have yet to find any info anywhere of the game's compatibility with devolution.
So far, a cleanrip of the game results in the Wii exiting to the Homebrew Channel when it goes to verify the disk (the disk is scratch free and dumped correctly)

anybody else have this problem with that game. it bugs me that out of all the GameCube games I own, that one does not work.

if more people can test this game, I can add it to the compatibility list.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Much like above, you could try making a wifi log and post it. Also you can try asking on Wiihacks in their Devolution Guide topic since that seems to be more of a "need help" thread while this one seem to be more "information and discovery".

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other thread is on a different forum, which means a different set of people to help with. Also tueidj actually still posts there, but not frequently.

In other news, I noticed Four Swords Adventures wasn't on the compatibility wiki so I added it - the game worked just fine with 2 GBA cables. And in even more other news, 007 Nightfire also works with Wiimms ISO Tools.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally finished copying all my GC games to my external HDD today, but I can't get disc 2 of 2-disc games to work via Devolution, via CFG Loader MOD.

I installed all my GC games using CFG Loader MOD, except for the second discs of 2-disc games. I copied those via CleanRip, renamed each .iso to "disc2.iso", and moved them into the folders of their disc 1 counterparts.

I tried loading a disc 2 save from Resident Evil 4 and Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, I couldn't get past the screen asking me to insert disc 2, after I pressed the eject button.

I dunno if it's a problem with Devolution or CFG Loader MOD. I thought that Devolution and DIOS MIOS both looked for disc 2 under the name "disc2.iso"...?

I'm looking into switching to USB Loader GX, but I can't get it to load ANY Gamecube games. I put the "loader.bin" file in the right place, I think, but no luck.

Thanks for any advice!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
by default, usbloaderGX use MIOS mode (the default gamecube mode used by Wii).
You need to switch the "GameCube Mode" to devolution, either in the global settings, or in each individual game settings.

or maybe when you said "load" you meant you didn't managed to display them in the loader?
games need to be in a different folder than the one used by devolution's official loader (one per game).
devolution : /games/filename.iso
USBLoaderGX (and other loaders too) : /games/sub-folder with Game name/filename.iso

games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso

About the second disc:
if you use the official devolution loader, you can put all ISO in the same folder :
games/tales1.iso
games/tales_my_second_disc.iso
whatever the name, it will work as devolution check all files one by one until it finds the second disc.

if you use other loaders, they should tell devolution where to find both ISO.
so placing them in the same folder should be enough.
this folder and filename works with both DIOS MIOS and Devolution :
games/Tales of symphonia [GQSEAF]/game.iso
games/Tales of symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso

Reactions: MassiveRican

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally finished copying all my GC games to my external HDD today, but I can't get disc 2 of 2-disc games to work via Devolution, via CFG Loader MOD.

I installed all my GC games using CFG Loader MOD, except for the second discs of 2-disc games. I copied those via CleanRip, renamed each .iso to "disc2.iso", and moved them into the folders of their disc 1 counterparts.

I tried loading a disc 2 save from Resident Evil 4 and Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, I couldn't get past the screen asking me to insert disc 2, after I pressed the eject button.

I dunno if it's a problem with Devolution or CFG Loader MOD. I thought that Devolution and DIOS MIOS both looked for disc 2 under the name "disc2.iso"...?

I'm looking into switching to USB Loader GX, but I can't get it to load ANY Gamecube games. I put the "loader.bin" file in the right place, I think, but no luck.

Thanks for any advice!

Devolution does not care about the name of the isos. If it finds the iso, it'll look at the contents to see that it is the correct one. Anyways, CFG does not support having the second iso in a subfolder and must be placed directly in the games folder. I submitted a report to the CFG loader's google code page on the matter. https://code.google.com/p/cfg-loade...colspec=ID Type Status Priority Owner Summary

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by default, usbloaderGX use MIOS mode (the default gamecube mode used by Wii). You need to switch the "GameCube Mode" to devolution, either in the global settings, or in each individual game settings.

Right, I did that. All of the first discs of my 2-disc games work fine. I just can't get the second discs to load.

or maybe when you said "load" you meant you didn't managed to display them in the loader? games need to be in a different folder than the one used by devolution's official loader (one per game). devolution : /games/filename.iso USBLoaderGX (and other loaders too) : /games/sub-folder with Game name/filename.iso

games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso

Right, that's the format I use. The games show up and launch into disc 1 as they should, via CFG Loader MOD.

About the second disc: if you use the official devolution loader, you can put all ISO in the same folder : games/tales1.iso games/tales_my_second_disc.iso whatever the name, it will work as devolution check all files one by one until it finds the second disc.

I haven't tried using the official loader yet. I suspect tha will work, but I was hoping to get 2-disc games working with CFG or USB Loader GX.

f you use other loaders, they should tell devolution where to find both ISO. so placing them in the same folder should be enough. this folder and filename works with both DIOS MIOS and Devolution :
games/Tales of symphonia [GQSEAF]/game.iso
games/Tales of symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso

That's the format I'm using.

Devolution does not care about the name of the isos. If it finds the iso, it'll look at the contents to see that it is the correct one. Anyways, CFG does not support having the second iso in a subfolder and must be placed directly in the games folder. I submitted a report to the CFG loader's google code page on the matter. [...]

That sounds like my problem... If I put all my disc2.iso's in the games folder, can I rename them to "game name [XXXXXX2]"? Would they still work with DIOS MIOMIOS

Alternately, does USB Loader GX support having the disc2.Iso in the same folder as game.Iso? I'd like to give GX a try, but it won't load GC games, even though I got the loader.bin file, put it in the devo_gc (?) folder, and set the right path via GX's settings. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck