Hacking Devolution - Public Release

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
am I the only one who can not verify "Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly" via devolution (I have an LU34 console, not chipped) or am I doing something wrong? Its a verified dump (verified via CleanRip) from my disk but yet it causes devolution to quit back to the Homebrew Channel when it tries to verify it (it has no scratches and plays on a stock gamecube so I know its a legit disk). I decided to post this here as it seems others are asking questions about how to verify/etc.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I tried it on my Wiiu, didn't work. When loading a GameCube ISO, it made some clicking noises and sent me back to HBC... Should I order the y cable? I used the link you said, but have not ordered it yet...
When a USB3.0 HDD is connected to a Wii or Wii U it's forced into USB 2.0 mode so there shouldn't be any problem whether it's made for 3.0 or not.

You could probably just plug the existing cable into that one but there's also a link for this one on that same page
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Startech-3-USB-Y-Cable-for-External-Hard-Drive/14659916?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=24708623551&category=0:3944:3951:132959:4463&client_guid=880615d6-1166-48b3-addd-bf2a6cbc7877&config_id=2&parent_item_id=13214011&guid=3bd56a27-b9c1-4183-ac5f-8b8c17aab858&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n
which might work for you, too, and it's cheaper.

And, yes, a clicking noise usually DOES mean not enough power and you need a Y adapter.

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any input on Animal Crossing? My MD5 was verified so I wasn't sure what could have caused the crashing besides a bug.

So it looks like the problem to this loading error was my USB hard drive was going bad... Even though ever other game loaded fine.

NOTE TO SELF: Always try a different form of storage before posting the issue.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found the solution to my last problem - bad ISO.

New questions:

- What actions will cause Devolution to ask me to verify a disc again?

- Where are the verification keys stored? Can I move them or back them up without triggering required re-verification?

- Can Devolution store keys for multiple Wii/external hard drive combos?

As usual, thanks for any advice.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New questions
Since you've already been answered over at Wiihacks I'll refrain from reposting the answers.

Is there any way to use cheats for GameCube games on wii u, like through WiiLauncher or something?
Via Devolution directly? No. Using an actual GameCube action replay? No idea, nobody's tried it.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a little testing on my own, using CFG Loader Mod:

Ripped and verified several Gamecube games on to External Hard Drive via Wii A, using Wii Remote X.
Verified Game 1 on External Hard Drive connected to Wii A with Wii Remote X - Game 1 loaded.
Turned off Wii A with Wii Remote X.
Connected External Hard Drive to Wii B with Wii Remote Y.
Tried to load Game 1 using Wii Remote Y - Devolution asked for Game 1 disc.
Verified Game 1 disc on Wii B with Wii Remote Y - Game 1 loaded.
Turned off Wii B with Wii Remote Y.
Connected External Hard Drive back to Wii A with Wii Remote X.
Discovered that "Verified" status was lost for ALL ripped Gamecube games on my External Hard Drive when I verified Game 1 using Wii B with Wii Remote Y.
Re-verified all ripped Gamecube games for Wii A using Wii Remote X.
Linked Wii Remote X to Wii B at System Menu. Turned off Wii Remote X.
Did not insert Game 1 disc. Turned on Wii Remote X - Game 1 loaded.
Turned off Wii B with Wii Remote X.
Connected External Hard Drive back to Wii A. Linked Wii Remote X to back to Wii A at System Menu, and turned off Wii Remote A.
Loaded Game 1 using Wii Remote Z. Also loaded successfully using only a Gamecube controller.

Summary: When you rip a Gamecube game on a Wii via Devolution, you get three "keys":
KEY 1: External Hard Drive / SD card (?)
KEY 2: Wii System
KEY 3: Wii Remote

KEY 1 is always required, but you only need one of the other two keys. On the original Wii system, you can load the game using any controller, but if you connect the External Hard Drive / SD card (?) to a different Wii, you must have the original Wii Remote linked to that system for the game to load without asking for re-verification. If you verify a game on your External Hard Drive / SD card (?) while connected to a different Wii, all the games you verified on your original Wii will lose their "Verified" status!

I hope this is helpful to someone. :)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm fairly certain you're wrong. When you verify a game, one verification file is generated and stored on SD/USB. That file contains identifying info (serial number or something I guess) for the console on which the game is verified as well as presumably all connected Wii remotes. When a game is played, that info is checked against current console and, failing that, current wii remotes.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a little testing on my own, using CFG Loader Mod:

Ripped and verified several Gamecube games on to External Hard Drive via Wii A, using Wii Remote X.
Verified Game 1 on External Hard Drive connected to Wii A with Wii Remote X - Game 1 loaded.
Verified Game 1 disc on Wii B with Wii Remote Y - Game 1 loaded.
Turned off Wii B with Wii Remote Y.
Connected External Hard Drive back to Wii A with Wii Remote X.
Discovered that "Verified" status was lost for ALL ripped Gamecube games on my External Hard Drive when I verified Game 1 using Wii B with Wii Remote Y.
Re-verified all ripped Gamecube games for Wii A using Wii Remote X.
Linked Wii Remote X to Wii B at System Menu. Turned off Wii Remote X.
Did not insert Game 1 disc. Turned on Wii Remote X - Game 1 loaded.
Turned off Wii B with Wii Remote X.
Connected External Hard Drive back to Wii A. Linked Wii Remote X to back to Wii A at System Menu, and turned off Wii Remote A.
Loaded Game 1 using Wii Remote C. Also loaded successfully using only a Gamecube controller.

Summary: When you rip a Gamecube game on a Wii via Devolution, you get three "keys":
KEY 1: External Hard Drive / SD card (?)
KEY 2: Wii System
KEY 3: Wii Remote

KEY 1 is always required, but you only need one of the other two keys. On the original Wii system, you can load the game using any controller, but if you connect the External Hard Drive / SD card (?) to a different Wii, you must have the original Wii Remote linked to that system for the game to load without asking for re-verification. If you verify a game on your External Hard Drive / SD card (?) while connected to a different Wii, all the games you verified on your original Wii will lose their "Verified" status!

I hope this is helpful to someone. :)
Did you try backing up your .dvv files and restoring them?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly certain you're wrong. When you verify a game, one verification file is generated and stored on SD/USB. That file contains identifying info (serial number or something I guess) for the console on which the game is verified as well as presumably all connected Wii remotes. When a game is played, that info is checked against current console and, failing that, current wii remotes.
Um, isn't that's basically what he described? If the console isn't the same, then a wiimote must be the same. If neither are the same, then it requires reverification.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly certain you're wrong, about the wiimotes part anyway. It doesn't matter how many wiimotes you have synced to the wii, or even turned on when you launch devo and verify a game, as all wiimotes shut off for a second, and then, randomly, one wiimote comes back on and the game is verified. The wiimote that the game is verified with is the only wiimote that will allow the game to start up, even on the same console.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, I didn't want to risk having to re-verify all these Gamecube games again, ha.

I'm guessing that the .dvv files will be invalidated if moved, copied, or edited in any way.

The wiimote that the game is verified with is the only wiimote that will allow the game to start up, even on the same console.

If you're playing on the system you originally verified the game on, any controller will work. The special Wii Remote isn't required if you're playing on the original Wii.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The man tueidj himself has replied to your test SmashBr0 over at wiihacks, and basically says "that's what happens when you use a crappy loader like CFG - random things will mess up, including your verification files"

Reactions: kp_centi

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, I didn't want to risk having to re-verify all these Gamecube games again, ha.

I'm guessing that the .dvv files will be invalidated if moved, copied, or edited in any way.

The wiimote that the game is verified with is the only wiimote that will allow the game to start up, even on the same console.

If you're playing on the system you originally verified the game on, any controller will work. The special Wii Remote isn't required if you're playing on the original Wii.
Then I wonder why I had problems when I first started out... My mistake. It is when you hook the hard drive up to a different system that only one wiimote can be used to start the game.

So if I were to want to take my hard drive over to a friends house, and play games on his wiiu, I would be shit out of luck if I didn't bring my wiimote. Why did the main man not enable verification of all wimotes synced and on?

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The man tueidj himself has replied to your test SmashBr0 over at wiihacks, and basically says "that's what happens when you use a crappy loader like CFG - random things will mess up, including your verification files"

Nice! I posted a reply.

This is the first negative feedback I've read about CFG Loader, though... Perhaps it's time to give one of the other loaders a try, if CFG is as bad as tueidj says? I've yet to have a problem with it, personally.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Um, isn't that's basically what he described? If the console isn't the same, then a wiimote must be the same. If neither are the same, then it requires reverification.

No, he said that 3 keys are generated. It's one. He said things are stored on the console itself and the remote, which I'm pretty sure they aren't. The DVV files just contain identifying info on the console and/or remote.
I'm fairly certain you're wrong, about the wiimotes part anyway. It doesn't matter how many wiimotes you have synced to the wii, or even turned on when you launch devo and verify a game, as all wiimotes shut off for a second, and then, randomly, one wiimote comes back on and the game is verified. The wiimote that the game is verified with is the only wiimote that will allow the game to start up, even on the same console.
OK, so maybe it's only the details of the remote that are present in the DVV. According to smash br0 though, you can play with any controller on the original console it was verified on. I've never even used Devolution so I don't know anything regarding controllers disconnecting etc., which is why I said "presumably all connected Wii remotes"; that should be revised to "the connected Wii remote".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?