Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having trouble with Devolution. I tried running it on my Wii and when I pressed X to mount my USB HDD, it gave a Disk ID of 0's and said press Start to exit. What can I do?

I need one where one end is female and the other 2 ends are male...

I am having trouble with Devolution. I tried running it on my Wii and when I pressed X to mount my USB HDD, it gave a Disk ID of 0's and said press Start to exit. What can I do?

Please help if possible...

Ok, Sorry. Didn't see that it IS what I am looking for. :)
Oopsie :P

I have 2 Questions:

- When using CleanRip, my original Wii freezes to crash dump screen when it tries to download the dat files. Anything I can do?
- When using Devolution, it is unable to mount my USB HDD when I press "A", it says "Failed to Mount Drive". Is it because I don't have a Y-USB splitter?

Please help if possible...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's an "EDIT" link at the bottom of your post.
Please use it and abuse it if nobody replied after your post.
Don't make 5 different message with a single line each.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having trouble with Devolution. I tried running it on my Wii and when I pressed X to mount my USB HDD, it gave a Disk ID of 0's and said press Start to exit. What can I do?.
For whatever crazy reason, the button-letter mapping of the sample loader uses the same layout as the default setting for games in Devolution. This means that you need to actually press A when it says "Press X" and have to press X when it says "Press Y".

- When using CleanRip, my original Wii freezes to crash dump screen when it tries to download the dat files. Anything I can do?
The dat files are not required to use CleanRip, so you can just choose to not download them. Alternatively you can download them manually from wherever and put them on your SD card and/or USB drive yourself.

- When using Devolution, it is unable to mount my USB HDD when I press "A", it says "Failed to Mount Drive". Is it because I don't have a Y-USB splitter?
Does your HDD work with other homebrew, like CleanRip? Also to clarify, does your HDD only have a USB cable or does it have a power cable as well? Assuming you have a spare USB flash drive laying around, you should test with that just to make sure that everything in Devolution and CleanRip actually work and that it is indeed your hard drive's fault.

I was about to face-palm and recommend MonoPrice for cables, adapters, and other devices that pricing-wise, to quote someone on head-fi.org, out-Walmarts Walmart. However, I cannot find such a cable on MonoPrice... :(

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, it's recommended to instead dump your memory card with the newest version of GCMM (v1.4b as of this post) since it's known to work with Devolution. Second, just rename the raw memory card dump to memcard.bin and replace Devolution's own memcard.bin with the new one, making sure that the file extension is changed from ".RAW" to ".BIN"

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, it's recommended to instead dump your memory card with the newest version of GCMM (v1.4b as of this post) since it's known to work with Devolution. Second, just rename the raw memory card dump to memcard.bin and replace Devolution's own memcard.bin with the new one, making sure that the file extension is changed from ".RAW" to ".BIN"

Ok thanks so much for this info. Also, can I rename the ISOs to the actual game names? And how do the Power and Reset buttons work with Devolution? Sorry for all the questions, never used Devolution until today :P

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is the first time you've used Devolution, then it would probably help you to at least take a glance at this:
http://www.wiihacks.com/other-faq-g...ion-guide-usb-loading-gamecube-games-wii.html

You don't have to necissarily follow it since you already have Devolution working, but it still contains some valuable info.

Anyway, if you're using the sample loader, then yes you can rename the ISOs to whatever you want.

EDIT: Derp, forgot about the power & reset buttons! Well, first off, there's a readme.txt included in the Devolution r200 download (the readme is in the \apps\gc_devo folder) and that should answer several questions. The only thing I know is that using the power button on the wiimote will reset the system - I don't know about the power button on the actual console if that turns it off or also resets.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I tried renaming file from RAW to BIN... When I renamed it memcard.bin, it just changed the name and not the file type. How do I convert it?

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got back from looking everywhere (Walmart, Radio Shack, etc.) for a Y split USB adapter for my portable USB HDD. I read online that the Wii U USB ports don't provide much power... Is the Y adapter really necessary? My USB HD is a WD My Passport 1.5TB that has USB 3.0... Thoughts appreciated :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I just got back from looking everywhere (Walmart, Radio Shack, etc.) for a Y split USB adapter for my portable USB HDD. I read online that the Wii U USB ports don't provide much power... Is the Y adapter really necessary? My USB HD is a WD My Passport 1.5TB that has USB 3.0... Thoughts appreciated :)
If it doesn't get enough power, the worst that will happen is it just won't work until you get one. I don't think anything will be damaged by it. You could always just get lucky and have it work anyhow if your drive doesn't NEED that much power so there's no harm in trying. (unless you're already tried).

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesn't get enough power, the worst that will happen is it just won't work until you get one. I don't think anything will be damaged by it. You could always just get lucky and have it work anyhow if your drive doesn't NEED that much power so there's no harm in trying. (unless you're already tried).

I tried it on my Wiiu, didn't work. When loading a GameCube ISO, it made some clicking noises and sent me back to HBC... Should I order the y cable? I used the link you said, but have not ordered it yet...

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running Win8... It just changes name, not format...
Make sure file extensions are displayed:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/28650-windows-8-display-file-extensions said:
  • Open Windows Explorer and go to "View" and then click the Options button > Change folder and search options
  • Scroll to "Hide extensions for file types is known"
  • Uncheck it and click OK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    she was an apple appstore girl
    he was an uptodown boy
    He was an android boy
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: He was an android boy