Homebrew DeSmuME Wii - DS Emulator for Wii in development.

Mr.Mugiwara

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks OArikadoO
laugh.gif
!!!!

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OArikadoO said:
unless their is an open source dynarec we could easily port to work on the Wii
There's libcpu, but that was only just released to public a month or two ago, and isn't ready for any real use yet from what I've read. But who knows, maybe in a little time it can work.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What is the difference between the interpreter and the dynamic recompiling ?

at which level does the difference occurred ?
because I think on both of them, we need to read the ROM, go to entry point address (in think) and then look for ASM command ? each of them need to be "interpreted" by the Wii, no ?

does interpreter is like functions to do exactly the same thing the ASM does on the original CPU architecture, while dynarec is using the native command from the current CPU architecture ?
so, using dynarec it needs a layer (a lib?) to translate each read instruction (or block of instructions) to newer and current native CPU one.

Am I close to the real thing ?

Do you need a different library for each console then ?
I suppose N64, PSX, DS are using different ASM, so they need a specific lib to use Wii ASM ? there's no common lib.

PS : Sorry if I used a lot of bad descriptive words (like ASM, instruction, etc.) if it's named something else. I hope you will still understand.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks.

I'm not sure I understood part2 correctly.

What I understand is that there is a need of a cache.
the emulator read the mips (1 asm instruction ?) and add it to the cache until it founds the end, or an error, or does not looks like a known instruction for the PPC.

then, the translator translate the given DS cache part into a PPC native instruction, and that new instructions is then sent to the PPC.
then free the cache and restart from filling it with the following DS instruction.

The devs need to create all those functions of the dynarec, but even with that in the background it's faster, that's great.

Firnis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
1) Right now we have about 1.3Mb free. It's too low for dynarec cache.
2) Even interpreter is not complete yet.
3) To write a working dynarec you need to know both arch's at a good level. As I know, no one from devs knows PPC or ARM at this level. It will take a lot of time to study them.

@Cyan
Right. Except that cache will not be cleared after execution of translated block. That block may be used several times. Cache will be cleared only when one is full.

OArikadoO

Trophies
Website
arikadosblog.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Firnis: Correct me if I'm wrong but dont we have the same amount of free space because of the virtual memory if we run with dynarec? The virtual memory would just hold the recompiled ROM instead of the original ROM like it does now - a fair even trade of memory space afaik; Hopefully giving us enough space. We've also got a bunch of code we can still cut out. True that no one knows ARM and PPC well enough to write a dynarec at the moment, bu we can all sure learn and work together
smile.gif

On a side note: If anyone can spare a dollar, I could use some donations to my college fund on http://arikadosblog.blogspot.com (click on the ChipIn widget)

scanff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arikado,

The virtual memory is basically the SD card so it would be bloody slow. We are just grabbing rom data when it's asked for and not dumping MB's into Wii RAM
smile.gif

Firnis,

How did you calculate 1.3Mb free? Is there some tool you used? We were loading 8 - 16MB roms into memory before we reduced that overhead to a 512KB cache for the virtual memory. I know that the 3D has eaten into some of the free mem but I'm just interested how you figured that out.

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shiro786 said:
Luigi728 said:
No fullspeed at a PC? My PC isn´t that strong, but Pokémon SoulSilver runs incredible smooth...
I have to admit, that's No$GBA, but hey, it IS possible^^

So you can run SoulSilver with 60 FPS, as well as as all the GFX nearly 1:1 (using OpenGL of course)?

Give me your PC specs bro, I'm curious as to how strong your computer is.

I can't guarantee it's 60 FPS, but it doesn't have noticable slowdowns.
And at my own PC it's not always great, but at school, goddamn, at school it runs perfect O.o
But I can't get the specs there XD
But most of the times it runs perfect at my own PC as wel^^

IntelÂCore?2 CPU
6300 @ 1,86 GHZ
That's my CPU, I've got 1024 RAM, and my graphicscard...eehmm...
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS. 512 MB.

So, that's not that great. Plus, Trackmania DS has quite horrible sound...but that could be my settings.
Anyway, SoulSilver runs great^^ Slowdowns sometimes, but only when I use the PC a lot.

Firnis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
scanff,
This not a tool. devkitpro has function that returns amount of free mem in bytes - SYS_GetArena1Size(). But 1.3Mb was a couple of weeks ago.

We can get enough free memory by move something into MEM2. But I don't think that we need to bother with this right now.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shiro786 said:
We can't get fullspeed DS emulation on computers 50x stronger than the wii, yet you think you can get it on the wii...

what a fucking noob

It was that attitude that made you an idiot. If you don't want to be called names maybe you should take your own "dont be a fag" advice
wink.gif
funny the rant you've had when you're on the recieving end of less than you handed out. And everyone who you've reported was just as constructive as that man.

I'll admit I made an assumption that "stronger" meant powerful, and that you where one of the people just looking at clock speeds, and that I could have been more clear with the "Or that they are porting the app to the Wii, not just adding the controls and re-compiling a cross platform app" bit. I'm not the most articulate person when I'm on the web but I'm sure you'd have known exactly what I meant if I hadn't called you an idiot.

But now that you've explained yourself instead of just going "fucking noobs" I'd have to say the memory constraints will be a big barrier, but probably not as bad as you think. You've got to remember that the Wii is very much an old school console, with no real OS, and it's single tasking so there's much less overheads. And also the little memory it does have is quite fast, with mem1 been amazingly speedy. This should make up for things a bit, especially with the virtual memory thing they've got going. Also the lack of shared libraries puts down the memory overheads too.

And yeah no$gba is great. It's run everything I've thrown at it so far at full speed on a laptop with only 1 gig ram, a Core 2 solo cpu (I think it's the 1.6 ghz model, I don't have it here), and a GMA950 graphics chipset. And that's on top of Vista as well. It's always seemed a shame to me that most of the best console emu's are closed source. Too many of them die when they start working well. I guess the devs get bored at that point. I'm glad that's not true with that one.

w4aqar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Shiro786 said:
We can't get fullspeed DS emulation on computers 50x stronger than the wii, yet you think you can get it on the wii...

what a fucking noob

It was that attitude that made you an idiot. If you don't want to be called names maybe you should take your own "dont be a fag" advice
wink.gif
funny the rant you've had when you're on the recieving end of less than you handed out. And everyone who you've reported was just as constructive as that man.

I'll admit I made an assumption that "stronger" meant powerful, and that you where one of the people just looking at clock speeds, and that I could have been more clear with the "Or that they are porting the app to the Wii, not just adding the controls and re-compiling a cross platform app" bit. I'm not the most articulate person when I'm on the web but I'm sure you'd have known exactly what I meant if I hadn't called you an idiot.

But now that you've explained yourself instead of just going "fucking noobs" I'd have to say the memory constraints will be a big barrier, but probably not as bad as you think. You've got to remember that the Wii is very much an old school console, with no real OS, and it's single tasking so there's much less overheads. And also the little memory it does have is quite fast, with mem1 been amazingly speedy. This should make up for things a bit, especially with the virtual memory thing they've got going. Also the lack of shared libraries puts down the memory overheads too.

And yeah no$gba is great. It's run everything I've thrown at it so far at full speed on a laptop with only 1 gig ram, a Core 2 solo cpu (I think it's the 1.6 ghz model, I don't have it here), and a GMA950 graphics chipset. And that's on top of Vista as well. It's always seemed a shame to me that most of the best console emu's are closed source. Too many of them die when they start working well. I guess the devs get bored at that point. I'm glad that's not true with that one.

You my friend, speak the truth.

farcry15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since there hasn't been any new revs in a while i'm gonna assume the devs are taking a much deserved break. i can't wait to see what they do for r150!

FencingFoxFTW

Trophies
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
tueidj said:
killplaystation said:
one cannot describe, the uselessness of a screenshot of a game selection screen. It could be fake and vaporware. If you're going to post a screen (not you, but the dev), then it should be video of gameplay or something. anything but...that thing.

[...]

Just beginning development, why announce it? If it's no where near ready. To get hits on your web page? To feel famous?
You don't announce something way too early, and then complain about people wondering when it will be done. That is just an irresponsible dev.
I agree, anyone who makes a fake announcement is a jackass.
sucka got served

fo shizzle

Mr.Mugiwara

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I can not play yoshi island and which button I push, as it is on the screen by turning the island and i press all the buttons and nothing happens.

what buttons i press to play?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mr.Mugiwara said:
I can not play yoshi island and which button I push, as it is on the screen by turning the island and i press all the buttons and nothing happens.

what buttons i press to play?
You need a classic controller or a Gamecube Controller.

The wiimote is used only for :
pointing the screen : stylus position
pad : stylus position (pixel by pixel)
A : stylus touching the screen
1 : show log (no interesting info, only the loading logs)
2 : Change layout, press to cycle through them.
Home : return to HBC

CC and GG :
Corresponding controller button to corresponding DS one.
GC L+R+Z : return to HBC

scanff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mr.Mugiwara said:
Why not put the WiiMote + Nunchuck in the emulator?

I'm sure we will eventually do that. Right now it's not a priority, the GC/CC can be mapped easily to the DS controls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!