Delaying Games and Hardware - Beneficial or Harmful?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"A delayed game misses Christmas, but a rushed game, meh, we can always patch it later. Or fix it with DLC. YEAH, then we can charge for fixing it, yeah, lets do that!"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Example [of games being fixed with paid for DLC/expansion packs]?

The recent and upcoming Dead rising stuff? Equally games do not get made from scratch in a year and that means you are more or less paying for a current build every year for such games that get annual entries, probably even those with biannual entries. A few games got fixed between console and PC, assassin’s creed being a reasonable example of a semi modern title there. The 9 billion versions each street fighter game gets? In fighting games there have been a few where extra characters become paid, and in doing so add to a weak roster.
Going back into the past there were a few games with a "gold" version that you would not be able to upgrade to from the original release, but could buy.

I am not necessarily opposed to some practices there, however to question their existence would be a stretch.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The recent and upcoming Dead rising stuff? Equally games do not get made from scratch in a year and that means you are more or less paying for a current build every year for such games that get annual entries, probably even those with biannual entries. A few games got fixed between console and PC, assassin’s creed being a reasonable example of a semi modern title there. The 9 billion versions each street fighter game gets? In fighting games there have been a few where extra characters become paid, and in doing so add to a weak roster.
Going back into the past there were a few games with a "gold" version that you would not be able to upgrade to from the original release, but could buy.

I am not necessarily opposed to some practices there, however to question their existence would be a stretch.

Um, why are you changing what I was responding to? tbb043 didn't say anything about paying for new characters, etc. He specifically said "charge for fixing it" (a rushed game). And I'm asking for an example of a rushed game that charged for a "fix."

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
What about "The Last Guardian" Team ICO's would be masterpiece and follow up to ICO'S and SOTC . Where is it? And when is it Coming? Was supposed to be released on PS3 but can't see that now as PS3 is outdated and at the end of its life. Funny that game and Final Fantasy XIII were the reason I bought a PS3. Will never trust Team ICO again unless their next game is better than ICO and SOTC put together.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What about "The Last Guardian" Team ICO's would be masterpiece and follow up to ICO'S and SOTC . Where is it? And when is it Coming? Was supposed to be released on PS3 but can't see that now as PS3 is outdated and at the end of its life. Funny that game and Final Fantasy XIII were the reason I bought a PS3. Will never trust Team ICO again unless their next game is better than ICO and SOTC put together.
So let me get this straight: You bought a console in anticipation of a game that was really early in development with no release date, and now your mad at the developer for not releasing it, yet?

I really don't understand why people buy consoles in preparation for games that haven't released yet. Just wait until the game actually releases if said game is the main reason you want the console.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Um, why are you changing what I was responding to? tbb043 didn't say anything about paying for new characters, etc. He specifically said "charge for fixing it" (a rushed game). And I'm asking for an example of a rushed game that charged for a "fix."

A fighting game comes out lacking either characters in general or characters within a canon, the former would be an example of weaker design/implementation as far as I am concerned and the latter is not far behind. Paid DLC to change this would then seem to be a paid for fix.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
A fighting game comes out lacking either characters in general or characters within a canon, the former would be an example of weaker design/implementation as far as I am concerned and the latter is not far behind. Paid DLC to change this would then seem to be a paid for fix.
When I hear, "pay to fix the game," I'm pretty sure it means "pay to FIX the game" regarding bugs, etc, not adding new characters and features. Saying that those are "fixes" is kind of pushing it

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lack of characters, or a lack of known/expected characters in a themed or established fighting game, similar a lack of modes that are common to the fighting game concept would be an example of weak design or weak implementation of a design. Now not every game needs to be Mugen and some of this may be more of the things that were once bonus characters/costumes (possibly with moveset differences) now being DLC thing, however I would not even call it twisting to call that an example of paid fixes.

sion_zaphod

Trophies
XP
Country
So let me get this straight: You bought a console in anticipation of a game that was really early in development with no release date, and now your mad at the developer for not releasing it, yet?

I really don't understand why people buy consoles in preparation for games that haven't released yet. Just wait until the game actually releases if said game is the main reason you want the console.

The game has been in development since 2007 it was announced in 2009 at E3 for 2011 release. They have had 7 years of working on a game that will probably never be released. I believe something similar happened over the NDS Gauntlet game. It was hyped up for years then never released. The complete rom has been dumped and can be downloaded. What a waste of time and money.

BTW
I buy consoles, computers and games for many reasons but mainly these
To find out what the console is like
To play a game that is console specific e.g. Gears of war, Halo on XBOX360 or Microsoft Windows (don't see those games on Sony or Nintendo Platforms)
Mario on Nintendo hardware (Not Microsoft or Sony)
And God Of War (Only On Sony Hardware)
And oh yeah The Last Guardian made by Team ICO who only develop for SONY

Anybody that says they have never bought a console to play a specific game is lying.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Anybody that says they have never bought a console to play a specific game is lying.

super_smash_bros_limited_edition_pack_europe.jpg

Guilty........... :shy:

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think delaying can be good, if the developers have a direction and they think they can improve it. On the other hand, if the project is directionless, no amount of money or time will make it good until it gets a direction. For example: Duke Nukem Forever.

Rushed hardware is especially bad. PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, DS, Wii, and a few others suffered from hardware problems in their early iterations, some more minor than others, due to not being given more time for development and testing. Those issues were fixed later and they weren't bad system, but there are examples of extreme and bad cases.

There's also a problem with something being hyped up then delayed often, so by the time it comes out people have lost interest. Even if it's great, people have forgotten about it due to becoming desensitizes to the advertising and hype.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The game has been in development since 2007 it was announced in 2009 at E3 for 2011 release. They have had 7 years of working on a game that will probably never be released. I believe something similar happened over the NDS Gauntlet game. It was hyped up for years then never released. The complete rom has been dumped and can be downloaded. What a waste of time and money.

BTW
I buy consoles, computers and games for many reasons but mainly these
To find out what the console is like
To play a game that is console specific e.g. Gears of war, Halo on XBOX360 or Microsoft Windows (don't see those games on Sony or Nintendo Platforms)
Mario on Nintendo hardware (Not Microsoft or Sony)
And God Of War (Only On Sony Hardware)
And oh yeah The Last Guardian made by Team ICO who only develop for SONY

I never said that people didn't, or shouldn't, buy consoles for specific games that they're interested in. I just said that buying the console for that game BEFORE the game is even released is a dumb idea.

Reactions: Gahars and Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I never said that people didn't, or shouldn't, buy consoles for specific games that they're interested in. I just said that buying the console for that game BEFORE the game is even released is a dumb idea.
Exactly. You don't buy a console based on a vague premise that a game you might like will be released for it. You shouldn't buy anything on a vague premise, period - smart shoppers wait for reviews to pop up, or at least a demo of some kind.

sion_zaphod

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly. You don't buy a console based on a vague premise that a game you might like will be released for it. You shouldn't buy anything on a vague premise, period - smart shoppers wait for reviews to pop up, or at least a demo of some kind.

There were reviews for the game previews and reviews. Some people actually got to play early alpha versions and reported on the game play experience. Also it wasn't vague premise that it would be released for ps3. Team ICO said at E3 it would be on ps3. Not skip a console generation and come out on ps4 which is what will happen now. That's if team ICO finally pulls their finger out and gets the game released. They will probably rebrand it as another RPG and not part of the ICO, SOTC series.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were reviews for the game previews and reviews.

If you take previews as reviews, you have only yourself to blame.

Some people actually got to play early alpha versions and reported on the game play experience. Also it wasn't vague premise that it would be released for ps3. Team ICO said at E3 it would be on ps3. Not skip a console generation and come out on ps4 which is what will happen now. That's if team ICO finally pulls their finger out and gets the game released. They will probably rebrand it as another RPG and not part of the ICO, SOTC series.

As someone who follows video games, you should know that any release details are tentative until the game goes gold, and even there can be delays. Considering that this game was little more than a trailer for years, that should've been the first clue that maybe, just maybe, this thing is a good ways off.

You made a stupid purchasing decision. Suck it up and deal with it.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
People bought PS3's because of FF13 being PS exclusive. Then The game became multi console and people regreted it. Then the game turned out to be shit and people regreted it even more.
Stop buying consoles prior to a games release dates!

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Delaying a game is the best solution. Why people fail yet to mention that they're favorite game series getting milked? Oh as long as the game is good it doesn't matter, but people fail to realize that it does matter and it NEEDS to be delayed for a while. In my eyes these games are rushed, I played Borderlands 2 and that is a huge improvement over the first one. People do love they're game series but all I'm saying is just because you love your game don't ignore the fact that it could been improved way more than it currently is. Look at Mortal Kombat 10...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @DinohScene, "rag tag team of idiots" you mean me? :tpi:
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh yeah @K3Nv2 I got that power bank in the other day, thing is pretty sweet. Seems legit
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, how much did you spend? Saw it on sale for $35 yesterday tempted to grab another one
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I paid $49 for it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Which all things considered is a great price
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I took it with me to a medical appointment and the nurse was like that's a big charger :creep:
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That's not the only thing here that's big ;) (it's the medical bill because the US healthcare system is an absolute joke)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Luckily I get to whore myself to insurance which billing departments have no idea on how to handle
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What he's covered? Make his life stressful anyway
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I love how insurance companies can deny procedures because they deem it not medically necessary despite the procedure being ordered by a doctor
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Going with that right now with a dental claim morons put the wrong company name and rejected claims been on hold an hour for the claims department
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, BTW is it better to go usb or bt for these mini Pcs figure you may know since you play with rack systems so much
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Counting my blessings that my insurance hasn't caused me really any headache (yet, at least) despite the fact that I've been getting way more appointments and what not recently due
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, what do you mean, what are you trying to do?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just looking at a built in mouse pad keyboard combo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I loose the dongle constantly but they may have better connection with usb frequency
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Imo Bluetooth is always a option of last resort for me
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Except for phones because it tends to be pretty reliable there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a bad habit of taking out usb transmitter and loosing it because they can't you know print names on the damn things
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    But any desktop OS, I've never had anything but frustration trying to get Bluetooth devices to work reliably and stable. It might pair and connect once, and then next time I go to use it I have to delete and re-pair it again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5.3 has been so good I think 6 is really going to make it stable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember how shit 3 was
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ptouch labeler aren't terribly expensive, label shit yourself fam. This is the one I own and there are cheaper ones too https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-PTH110BP-Portable-included/dp/B09QXYND6S
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Solves part of the problem, mixing up which dongle is which. Then you just have to not lose them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Double D would be proud
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Double D would be proud