Hacking Decrypting a USB drive

Sheldon392

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really just thinking out loud here because I'm sure someone has thought of this before.

I can plug a USB drive into my Wii U and save digital games and data to it. Obviously this doesn't work on my computer. I would assume that the drive is encrypted based on a "password" that is unique to your console, a "password" we can't get at this point. Theoretically, couldn't an application be created in the future that uses this "password" (once/if we get it) to decrypt your USB drive and install games onto it then re-encrypt the drive to be used with your Wii U?

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With some work, possibly. We know that the Wii U (and Dragon Quest X on the Wii) use a custom filesystem, so we would need to make a driver/app that allows for reading this filesystem. We would also need a way to dump the per console drive encryption keys. I suspect that even if we did all that, the games are all signed, so we would need a way to have the console boot unsigned (or fake signed) content. In short, even if we could get the console specific keys, we would likely still be a ways from doing what you describe.

Sheldon392

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya, it would make sense that they sign the application, and there probably won't be a way around that till we have homebrew.

Sheldon392

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In 5.1, or one of the newer system updates there is an option in settings to transfer data between wii u's. Not sure if this will be helpful to you considering I've never used it before but just so you know :)

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that it completely wipes the system you are transferring from. I have a friend who has been playing a game on my system and now that he owns a Wii U, he'd like his save on his Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro