Decrypting a USB drive

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Sheldon392, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Sheldon392
    OP

Sheldon392 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    United States
    Alaska
    I'm really just thinking out loud here because I'm sure someone has thought of this before.

I can plug a USB drive into my Wii U and save digital games and data to it. Obviously this doesn't work on my computer. I would assume that the drive is encrypted based on a "password" that is unique to your console, a "password" we can't get at this point. Theoretically, couldn't an application be created in the future that uses this "password" (once/if we get it) to decrypt your USB drive and install games onto it then re-encrypt the drive to be used with your Wii U?

2. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    With some work, possibly. We know that the Wii U (and Dragon Quest X on the Wii) use a custom filesystem, so we would need to make a driver/app that allows for reading this filesystem. We would also need a way to dump the per console drive encryption keys. I suspect that even if we did all that, the games are all signed, so we would need a way to have the console boot unsigned (or fake signed) content. In short, even if we could get the console specific keys, we would likely still be a ways from doing what you describe.

Ryanrocks462 and Marionumber1 like this.
  3. Sheldon392
    OP

Aug 16, 2013
    United States
    Alaska
    Ya, it would make sense that they sign the application, and there probably won't be a way around that till we have homebrew.

4. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    All I want to do is transfer saves from one Wii U to another. ;)

5. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
  6. Sheldon392
    OP

Aug 16, 2013
    United States
    Alaska
    In 5.1, or one of the newer system updates there is an option in settings to transfer data between wii u's. Not sure if this will be helpful to you considering I've never used it before but just so you know :)

7. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    The problem is that it completely wipes the system you are transferring from. I have a friend who has been playing a game on my system and now that he owns a Wii U, he'd like his save on his Wii U.

8. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Wii U storage will be secure from off-system attacks until someone dumps keys from IOSU-level space.