David Hayter To Voice Solid Snake in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

ssb snake.jpg

Kept you waiting, huh?!

During its E3 show this year, Nintendo revealed some tantalizing details regarding the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, in particular, the fact that every character to have ever made an appearance in the series will be included in the next Smash installment wowed the crowd. This means that Solid Snake, one of the main characters in the Metal Gear series, will once again settle it in Smash. The tactical espionage expert made his last (and only) appearance in the fighting game in 2008’s Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

In addition to the video game franchise in which he is the protagonist of, Snake is also famous for his iconic gruff voice, acted by David Hayter. The latter did not reprise the role in Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain to many fans' (including yours truly) dismay. However upon the query of a fan on twitter, David Hayter said that he will indeed be voicing Snake once again.

The news was confirmed by Nintendo Treehouse's localization manager, Nate Bihldorff, when interviewed by IGN. However IGN mentioned that Bihldorff "was not able to confirm whether Hayter re-recorded his lines or if Ultimate is using the same audio as Snake’s original appearance in 2008’s Super Smash Bros. Brawl."

I, for one, am very excited to learn that one of the most iconic voices in the video game industry is coming back. How do you feel about this? Do you prefer Hayter or Kiefer Sutherland as the voice of Snake?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think the reason for the voice change in MGSV may be the fact that
Snake is not actually Snake and changing the fake Snakes vocal cords to match the real Snake’s is impossible. The real Snake also has another voice but the reason for that is to mislead the player I think.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Snake is not actually Snake and changing the fake Snakes vocal cords to match the real Snake’s is impossible. The real Snake also has another voice but the reason for that is to mislead the player I think.
that could have been the reason but still with the "Polygon" Snake skin, he was still voiced by Keifer (not that it means much) and apparently Hayter was not even aware of the whole thing. For your second sentence in your spoiler, I think Hayter could still have been used but wasn't even if the reveal was made much later in the game.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Do they really need to record the voice again?
Don't they have the voice recorded and they will just add it?

Volttekka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do they really need to record the voice again?
Don't they have the voice recorded and they will just add it?
Firstly, it's always good to touch up the vocals so that they don't sound low-quality and dated compared to the other characters.
Secondly, since both Snake and Shadow Moses are confirmed, it is almost certain that they will be doing codec conversations for the characters that were not present in Brawl

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP

By "the fighting game" I meant the Super Smash Bros. Series.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, now that I think about it, we both seem to have forgotten the fact that the Japanese VA was done by the same guy who has been doing Snake's voice since MGS 1!

Reactions: WiiUBricker

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We got snake but no Goku

The main point of Smash 5 was the "Everyone is here" mantra, bringing everyone in the franchise in one game. The new additions were probably done out of convenience and not needing to negotiate with even more different companies (Bandai-Namco/Toei for Goku), they're all from Nintendo's IPs. Less stress on the Smash dev team and Sakurai (who probably deserves retirement after this game). A surprise reveal could still happen, but I doubt it. Besides, there's always modded Goku over Ryu or C. Falcon, whoever.

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Good to see Snake's not dead because this is such a memorable character it needs to live on. I loved the reference Sam Fisher made about Solid Snake. Speaking of Sam FIsher, really disappointed Ubisoft didn't have a new Splinter Cell game to reveal. Sigh.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, Goku never made it to any Smash title... Maybe he'll be a surprise challenger? We can all but hope!
Can't wait for them DLC packs but hopefully this time around, there'll be a Season Pass unlike how Nintendo handled it on the WiiU.

Goku in a Smash game would be awesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guess it's just a click then +2