Konami debuts 'METAL GEAR SOLID Legacy Series' video series narrated by David Hayter

mgs hayter.jpg

The iconic voice actor behind the Metal Gear Solid series, David Hayter, is back with the stealth franchise but for a different purpose: narrating the games' history and cultural impact. Konami has debuted METAL GEAR SOLID Legacy Series, a series of short form videos about the origins of Metal Gear with none other than David Hayter as our guide. You can watch the first part below:

However, the company has not revealed the frequency of these videos' airing nor how many parts the series will include.

:arrow: SOURCE

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[lots of words]
One thing I will say is that it's great Konami's still active enough in the business to release ports and collections. I bought the Contra and Castlevania packs on Steam. Around the time of Metal Gear Survive, it was like Konami had packed things up for the foreseeable future.

Now, they're "back." Not back "back," mind you, but these ports and MGS3Delta are better than a world without Konami.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're hoping volume 2 has a 60 fps port of it at least

I've heard it's difficult to port over, and expecting 60 fps when they did nothing to improve the easier to improve 1, 2 and 3 seems unlikely.

Maybe a remake like 3? Although I'd rather have 1 personally. I thought we were getting a 1 remake in the first place but it ended up being 3 which is fine but I hope they do 1 also.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard it's difficult to port over, and expecting 60 fps when they did nothing to improve the easier to improve 1, 2 and 3 seems unlikely.

Maybe a remake like 3? Although I'd rather have 1 personally. I thought we were getting a 1 remake in the first place but it ended up being 3 which is fine but I hope they do 1 also.
That reminds me of that indie project to remake Metal Gear 1 in the 2010's. The devs even had David Hayter doing script and voice work. As far as I could tell, they made some maps and primitive animatics before Konami pulled the plug. From there, fans speculated that an in-house remake was in the works: The start of the Kojima-less Metal Gear era. That was about 10 years ago, so nothing ever came from it.

Delta will be the one to prove if devs and fans are ok without Kojima at the helm.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That reminds me of that indie project to remake Metal Gear 1 in the 2010's. The devs even had David Hayter doing script and voice work. As far as I could tell, they made some maps and primitive animatics before Konami pulled the plug. From there, fans speculated that an in-house remake was in the works: The start of the Kojima-less Metal Gear era. That was about 10 years ago, so nothing ever came from it.

Delta will be the one to prove if devs and fans are ok without Kojima at the helm.

I remember that but there was also rumors that there'd be a MGS 1 remake for PS5 that ended up being 3.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

1 doesn't need another remake. The game works so well because the gameplay mechanics and environments are built together with the limitations of the ps1. Adding modern controls and graphics to it will make it a very easy game and break most of the inmersion and gameplay gimmicks.

Just look at Twin Snakes, it's a remake that only updates the game to MGS2 engine and it already breaks it.

For MGS3 a remake makes most sense because that game was actually suffering from still having the MGS2 engine when it initially released. It wasn't until Subsistance where they added the 3D camera and later on the 3DS where they added crouch-walking and third person shooting that the game actually became what it should have been in the first place.

Basically MGS3 is the only one of the classic games that you can remake and actually make it better, while the rest will loose everything that make them special.

The OG MSX games might be remade if they make it use the MGS2-style of gameplay (the one that's similar enough to old school gameplay but still good looking) and maybe release them both as a package for 40 bucks or hell even 50.

Reactions: Jayinem

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 doesn't need another remake. The game works so well because the gameplay mechanics and environments are built together with the limitations of the ps1. Adding modern controls and graphics to it will make it a very easy game and break most of the inmersion and gameplay gimmicks.

Just look at Twin Snakes, it's a remake that only updates the game to MGS2 engine and it already breaks it.

For MGS3 a remake makes most sense because that game was actually suffering from still having the MGS2 engine when it initially released. It wasn't until Subsistance where they added the 3D camera and later on the 3DS where they added crouch-walking and third person shooting that the game actually became what it should have been in the first place.

Basically MGS3 is the only one of the classic games that you can remake and actually make it better, while the rest will loose everything that make them special.

The OG MSX games might be remade if they make it use the MGS2-style of gameplay (the one that's similar enough to old school gameplay but still good looking) and maybe release them both as a package for 40 bucks or hell even 50.

I think it could be done with 1 but you'd have to change a lot of things. A very very smart dev could do it, but I'm not sure they have that.

That's also why I wouldn't trust them to remake Metal Gear 1 and 2 with 3 they're just improving the graphics and keeping the same story. With those you're making a 2d game into a 3d game you have to add a ton of story new gameplay etc... do they have the talent without Kojima to pull it off because the standards for Metal Gear games are extremely high.

All they're doing so far is remaking a 3D game where they keep the story the same, and delegating Silent Hill 2 to a third party dev. They're not making fully new games themselves because I believe they don't have the talent. They just spent a decade getting rid of talent due to a CEO that wanted to make them a mobile game maker. Luckily as of 2020 he's no longer in charge thus they're slowly coming back into real gaming.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it could be done with 1 but you'd have to change a lot of things. A very very smart dev could do it, but I'm not sure they have that.

That's also why I wouldn't trust them to remake Metal Gear 1 and 2 with 3 they're just improving the graphics and keeping the same story. With those you're making a 2d game into a 3d game you have to add a ton of story new gameplay etc... do they have the talent without Kojima to pull it off because the standards for Metal Gear games are extremely high.

All they're doing so far is remaking a 3D game where they keep the story the same, and delegating Silent Hill 2 to a third party dev. They're not making fully new games themselves because I believe they don't have the talent. They just spent a decade getting rid of talent due to a CEO that wanted to make them a mobile game maker. Luckily as of 2020 he's no longer in charge thus they're slowly coming back into real gaming.
Is that what happened? In that case, they'll need Delta to do well, which means they better treat the development with care. I guess it's not surprising the CEO wanted the biggest titles, MGS3 and Silent Hill 2, to be remade. Even the Final Fantasy VII remake is getting flack for its changes/additions to the story. Meanwhile, the Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube is still considered a good re-imagining.

I think Kojima was the last of the remaining talent at Konami during the WiiPS360 era. Back then, everything was outsourced and Konami only made a few games in-house. It was basically a purge of talent.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I think it could be done with 1 but you'd have to change a lot of things.
Then it wouldn't be the same game. Delta will be reusing the same mocap and voice actors, as well as map layout. It'll essentially be the same game from 3DS but with overblown graphics.

Change too much and it's no longer Hideo Kojima's vision, even Konami knows best not to alter these games too much if Kojima isn't the name behind those changes.

We Metal Gear fans are really picky, we tend not to like anything post Snake Eater, we tend to decanonize games (Portable Ops), we wanted to know who The Patriots are but we hated it when we actualy knew who they were, we hated Raiden in MGS2 despite him being more badass than Big Boss in MGS3 (both being Rookies, Raiden would always come out on top while BB got his ass kicked all the way through), forcing Kojima to create the single dumbest moment of MGS3 that breaks the inmersion of the entire game (Raikov) just to appease to a bunch of whinny kids (lets be honest, that what we were back then).
We always hate the last Metal Gear game but still demand more to be made.

The memories of everyone hating on MGS4 is still fresh in my mind, yet today people look at it with some nostalgia glasses and now everyone suddendly wants to play this game.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, greener pastures, Mr. Kojima.

Then it wouldn't be the same game. Delta will be reusing the same mocap and voice actors, as well as map layout. It'll essentially be the same game from 3DS but with overblown graphics.

Change too much and it's no longer Hideo Kojima's vision, even Konami knows best not to alter these games too much if Kojima isn't the name behind those changes.

We Metal Gear fans are really picky, we tend not to like anything post Snake Eater, we tend to decanonize games (Portable Ops), we wanted to know who The Patriots are but we hated it when we actualy knew who they were, we hated Raiden in MGS2 despite him being more badass than Big Boss in MGS3 (both being Rookies, Raiden would always come out on top while BB got his ass kicked all the way through), forcing Kojima to create the single dumbest moment of MGS3 that breaks the inmersion of the entire game (Raikov) just to appease to a bunch of whinny kids (lets be honest, that what we were back then).
We always hate the last Metal Gear game but still demand more to be made.

The memories of everyone hating on MGS4 is still fresh in my mind, yet today people look at it with some nostalgia glasses and now everyone suddendly wants to play this game.
It's fascinating because the general audience skewed younger back then. That generation grew into adults playing video games.

I thought Kojima himself wanted to de-canonize Portable Ops, since he didn't work on it. We were never going to like who/what the Patriots were, but at least the reveal fits the theme and build up from MGS2. Raiden was unpopular in the West, but apparently well-received in Japan. If anything, making him a cyborg ninja just made MGS4 feel more overblown.

I guess MGS is a hard beast to critique, but it's been a long time since even Phantom Pain came out, so the dust has mostly settled.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I thought Kojima himself wanted to de-canonize Portable Ops, since he didn't work on it.
No he simply said that it isn't a mainline game and it wasn't directed by him, the story is cannon, it's just not a very important game in his mind, which I totally disagree with, he fucked up the story and timeline beyond repair when he wanted to ignore PO during the development of PW and had to actually continue PO's story points without even telling you that it is, making the whole thing unnecessarily convoluted. To be fair, Peace Walker makes no sense without Portable Ops, and it outright contradicts the ending of Snake Eater if you leave PO out.

We were never going to like who/what the Patriots were, but at least the reveal fits the theme and build up from MGS2.
Because the appeal of The Patriots was the idea of them being in the shadows and completely anonymous, their mystique was going to disappear the moment they revealed their faces, no matter who they were. There's no win-win situation here. Most people didn't like the reveal that the Snake Eater cast was the Patriots, but it doesn't really make much sense to use anyone else. It's not like the Metal Gear universe is sprawling with characters.
Play MGS2 today after playing all the later ones and you can clearly see that the directly it set up has nothing to do with what MGS4 did later on. MGS2 was truely going to be the last one, they just fucked up the ending and made everyone want a continuation.

Raiden was unpopular in the West, but apparently well-received in Japan. If anything, making him a cyborg ninja just made MGS4 feel more overblown.

I always liked Raiden, you'd have to be very stupid not to see how bad ass he is in MGS2, where he does things not even Solid does, he shows a type of cold blood and comes across the typical "this guy looks harmless yet he'll fuck you up till next year" kind of appeal. And most people say he's whinny, yet I like that personality way more than Solid Snake's "yes boss, I kill everyone, no questions asked" attitude that Liquid Snake mentioned in the first game.
Raiden is constantly questioning his superiors and everyone else (sometimes outright just hanging up on the coronel), he doesn't hesitate to shoot first and ask questions later (ask Vamp about this, Raiden's way of saying "hi" is by pulling the trigger) and he's generally harder to deceive since he doesn't trust anyone.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No he simply said that it isn't a mainline game and it wasn't directed by him, the story is cannon, it's just not a very important game in his mind, which I totally disagree with, he fucked up the story and timeline beyond repair when he wanted to ignore PO during the development of PW and had to actually continue PO's story points without even telling you that it is, making the whole thing unnecessarily convoluted. To be fair, Peace Walker makes no sense without Portable Ops, and it outright contradicts the ending of Snake Eater if you leave PO out.

Because the appeal of The Patriots was the idea of them being in the shadows and completely anonymous, their mystique was going to disappear the moment they revealed their faces, no matter who they were. There's no win-win situation here. Most people didn't like the reveal that the Snake Eater cast was the Patriots, but it doesn't really make much sense to use anyone else. It's not like the Metal Gear universe is sprawling with characters.
Play MGS2 today after playing all the later ones and you can clearly see that the directly it set up has nothing to do with what MGS4 did later on. MGS2 was truely going to be the last one, they just fucked up the ending and made everyone want a continuation.

I always liked Raiden, you'd have to be very stupid not to see how bad ass he is in MGS2, where he does things not even Solid does, he shows a type of cold blood and comes across the typical "this guy looks harmless yet he'll fuck you up till next year" kind of appeal. And most people say he's whinny, yet I like that personality way more than Solid Snake's "yes boss, I kill everyone, no questions asked" attitude that Liquid Snake mentioned in the first game.
Raiden is constantly questioning his superiors and everyone else (sometimes outright just hanging up on the coronel), he doesn't hesitate to shoot first and ask questions later (ask Vamp about this, Raiden's way of saying "hi" is by pulling the trigger) and he's generally harder to deceive since he doesn't trust anyone.
Interesting reply. I didn't know Portable Ops was still canon. I've never played it, and I did find Peace Walker a bit more convoluted than I felt it needed to be. Maybe I should check it out.

You totally get it. For the Patriots, fans were never going to be pleased with the reveal (myself included). It's like Kingdom Hearts and how they had to keep adding layers to compensate for each reveal --- Another narrative rabbit hole. I feel Kojima did the best he could, but MGS4 should have been more about the gameplay. Making it one big exposition dump didn't help MGS4's pacing. Compare how much MGS3's ending conveys in its runtime with MGS4's. I agree, MGS2 just had fans wanting more. We got MGS3 out of it all, so I can't complain.

As for Raiden, I think people had expectations for MGS2 when it was released, and they had to accept and understand the intent of the game afterwards. Some fans wanted to play only as Solid Snake, but they got a much more complicated narrative instead. It was thought-provoking for a 2000's video game, if nothing else.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Interesting reply. I didn't know Portable Ops was still canon. I've never played it, and I did find Peace Walker a bit more convoluted than I felt it needed to be. Maybe I should check it out.
Not only is it canon, it's actually a lot more important than most people give it credit for. If you go from the end of Snake Eater straight to Peace Walker then the story makes no sense, you need PO to understand how Naked Snake became Big Boss. There's many plot elements in PW that are directly from the ending of PO (such as Operation Snake Eater being planned from the beginning). And last but not least, at the start of PW the area Big Boss and his team are in (Barranquilla Coast) is either directly in or right next to the San Hieronymo Peninsula from PO.
PW literally takes off where PO left.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol