'American McGee's Alice' TV series in development with David Hayter attached as showrunner

am alice.jpg

Now here's a franchise I haven't heard of in a while: American McGee's Alice. With 2000's Alice and 2011's Alice: Madness Returns, American McGee puts a dark, gritty twist to Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. Here's a synopsis for those who might not be familiar with the franchise:

Shortly after Alice returned from the miraculous trip through the Looking-Glass, her house was burnt down, and her parents died in the fire. Alice was the only survivor of the terrible accident. After repeated attempts at suicide, she gets locked up inside a mental institution and is slowly wasting away there before she is summoned to Wonderland again by the White Rabbit. But this time it's a Wonderland gone seriously bad and gory. The only chance for Alice to restore her peace of mind and find out more about the death of her parents is to fight through Wonderland and free it from the evil powers.

This original take will now be serialized in a collaboration between Radar Pictures, Abandon Entertainment and writer-producer David Hayter. Hayter, as many of you know already, is the iconic voice actor of Snake in the Metal Gear Solid franchise (save for MGSV) but has also worked as a writer on other popular movies and shows like X2, Watchmen, Netflix's Warrior Nun. Hayter will write and produce the TV series adaptation for American McGee's Alice.

“David Hayter brings imagination, experience, and stealth sneaking skills gained through successful missions in film, TV, and video games - a unique combination sure to make this adventure into Wonderland a successful one for the franchise and the fans," McGee said. "I am excited to be working with him and know the Alice fans will welcome him with mad affection."

"American McGee’s Alice and Alice: Madness Returns game series is a groundbreaking reimagining of the classic tale," David Hayter said. "It takes you into the heart of a corrupted Wonderland and throws light into shadowy corners the world has never seen. I am beyond excited to bring this world of madness and wonder to a global audience.”

While there is no airing window announced at this time, the series is said to have begun "active development".

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could definitely be interesting, but no hype until at least a trailer exists. Videogame tv/movies are definitely not an area full of optimism.
Add all the unfortunate woke checklist bullshit so many shows do... And you just have another stretch of minefield.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is an unexpected twist. Trippy as balls = bloody expensive to film even with modern CGI and greenscreen and it is at best a cult game without that much in the way of built in audience. Hopefully we get something as fun as that Arcane show recently, but I think my expectations are more on the Uwe Boll side of the adaptation spectrum.

"Watchmen, Netflix's" speed reading almost got me there.

Also those looking for an odd take on Alice in Wonderland in the meantime then the 2009 film Malice in Wonderland could be worth a look https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374853/
Speaking of odd takes on Alice in Wonderland, have you ever seen Jan Svankmajer's Alice? I'm told that more than any other adaptation, it manages to capture the essence of a child's nightmare. I haven't watched it myself, but I'm a big fan of what I have seen from him. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love both games to death and can't wait for this =D.

Hope it turns out good and gets more attention to the series and maybe just maybe that third game will finally happen.

If the overhyped mediocre show starring the "I'm definitely gamer" aka superman and the okay-ish cartoon disagrees with me I'm still right xP.

The witcher is amazing! No clue what you are on about.
The 'animé' styled castlevania had a great first season. The second one was indeed less entertaining.

But to call them flat-out bad, even if you are not a fan, is just untrue. No point in arguing there.

Last edited by vree,

Phearoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"It's dreamy weather
We're on
You waved your crooked wand
Along an icy pond
With a frozen moon
A murder of silhouette
Crows I saw
And the tears on my face
And the skates on the pond
They spell Alice

I disappear in your name
But you must wait for me
Somewhere across the sea
There's a wreck of a ship
Your hair is like meadow grass
On the tide
And the raindrops on my window
And the ice in my drink
Baby all I can think of
Is Alice

Arithmetic arithmetock
Turn the hands back on the clock
How does the ocean rock the boat?
How did the razor find my throat?
The only strings that hold me here
Are tangled up
Around the pier
And so a secret kiss
Brings madness with the bliss
And I will think of this
When I'm dead in my grave
Set me adrift
And I'm lost
Over there
And I must be insane
To go skating on your name
And by tracing it twice
I fell through the ice
Of Alice"

I hope they use Waits in the show somehow ;)

sumblinker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Speaking of odd takes on Alice in Wonderland, have you ever seen Jan Svankmajer's Alice? I'm told that more than any other adaptation, it manages to capture the essence of a child's nightmare. I haven't watched it myself, but I'm a big fan of what I have seen from him. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/
One of the sickest version ever. In the second game the Dollhouse was inspired by Svanmajer's tales.

I have strong hopes in the series, American always kick ass and the writer have a few famous earlier works. (X-men, Watchmen...)

sumblinker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I love this game so much. The first one is better than the sequel for me. Madness Returns a sequel... (Yes, a lot of people still doesn't know that.) Have you seen Alice Otherlands?

A stop motion or an anime series would be awesome!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality