Darkspore Rendered Unplayable by Always-Online DRM

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Maxis' Spore managed to sell like hotcakes despite the generally negative reception from both critics and players (really, it was more of a panned-cake). Thanks to those strong sales, the game received several spin-offs, like 2011's Darkspore.

I know nothing about the game except that it has the word "dark" in it, so I'm just picturing the original Spore with added angst and brooding.

Well, it seems that things have gotten even darker for this Spore installment.

:arrow: The Escapist

2darksporeU

Adding to EA's continuing goof, while the game was pulled from Steam, it is still being sold on Origin. That's right - they are continuing to sell a completely nonfunctional game. I can't imagine a whole lot of people were looking forward to purchasing Darkspore, but still - it's the principle of the matter.

This comes at a pretty important time in gaming, as many are debating the merits of always-online DRM programs. Opponents often say that they effectively cripple a game's longevity, only letting players enjoy their product until the servers inevitably fall, and this is a perfect demonstration. Darkspore has no chance of being preserved for later generations now; it has been expunged from gaming history.

It's still just Darkspore, but again, it's the principle that matters most here.

On the bright side, this does mean that Sim City 2013 won't last forever, either. Forget the principles, I can be happy with that.

Fishaman P and shakirmoledina like this.

2. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Sound like EA Sporiolded another game.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    Oh, EA, your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

4. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    well written.

always-on... check out AC2 ratings on gamefaqs and you shall see how much it spoils a game. no matter what the benefits, all players love local storage over online storage for bigger games that are single player.

5. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    That's sad... I always wanted to play the spore games once I finally cash out money for a new pc.

6. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    This thread give us two alerts:

- EA aways denied that their DRM polices would end up with a "dead" game, and a 2 years old game died.
    - EA seem do not care about customer rights, that explicitly forbids selling of non functional products.

The most sad of all of this is the fact that EA is not the only who is doing theses kind of polices

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    That seriously sucks for everyone that paid for it. The is why the always online DRM is pure bullshit. You spend money on a game that won't always work and come a few years they might just shut down the servers, then you're really fucked.

8. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Definetely the worst video game company ever. XD

9. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    So many games would/could have got effected like this, if this DRM was still on the X1.

chavosaur likes this.
  10. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Actually, there is a server emulator available.

11. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Ubisoft is getting just as bad, I recommend you not buy anything from that you know have always online drm, Two of these games are next gen, The Crew and The Division, avoid them like the plague.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Well shit. I don't give a shit about EA but now I'm afraid this might happen to WARP too. I bought that game :(

13. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    Isn't The Division a co-op MMO style game? One could argue they're adding online functionality as reasoning to make it always online, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of game you would play offline anyway.

Ubisoft is a mixed bag, all I can really say in their defense is Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (and the original Far Cry 3 which owned bones anyway)

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...how can they manage to have bugs in a game 2 years after release? :unsure:

No, don't answer it. This is one of them rhetorical questions.

Thought about it? Good. So...guys: let's not keep saying they're stupid, okay? We should know better at this point. If it really was stupidity, they would have rolled back to a previous, working version at this point.

We all know the alternative: it's a business model. As gamers, we don't like the model. We call it evil (and on our viewpoint, it certainly is). But it's exactly that. They know that the more games are out there, the more choice gamers will have (and thus less incentive to buy newer ones). With this model, they can eliminate old games, which indirectly ensures that people will continue purchasing new games.

15. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Navigating source after source to find the original, it seems that the quote comes from... the actual forums, where a moderator of the forums themselves actually made a forum-wide announcement on the issue.

[​IMG]

So yeah, you know things are dire when somebody feels the need to do something like this.

16. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I like the new sim city, despite the minor bugs which have not effected me in any major way. It is going to suck to not be able to play it once the servers get taken down.

17. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    And people wonder why I've decided not to bother with "new" games.

18. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Oh please. It is not like all games are like this.

19. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Maybe all games aren't like this, but how will you know until it happens?

My new plan for ANY game I might buy is to see if there is a crack to bypass the online crap BEFORE I buy it. If not, then no buy. I don't play games online and don't feel I should have to log in to anywhere to play singleplayer. I'm also now old enough to realize that NO game is a must-play, no game is that important that I should have to report my playtime to anyone.

EZ-Megaman and the_randomizer like this.
  20. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Step 1) Just check if the game has always-online DRM first

It's pretty simple, actually.

the_randomizer likes this.