Not open for further replies.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ChokeD said:
FenrirWolf said:
The process by which it works is what keeps it from being compatible with cIOS and SNEEKy IOS's, or corp'd IOS's for that matter. They went out of their way to make the thing work at all. The rest is a side effect.
True enough, it's not that they made it that way, it's the process of how it works that makes it not possible.

Reminds me of when Microsoft used to contend that Internet Explorer was an "integral" part of the operating system in Win2K and couldn't be removed without breaking it... until some clever folks showed that simple modification of the Win2K setup files resulted in a perfectly functional operating system being installed without IE.
rolleyes.gif

Edit: Also, I agree with Pop006. It would be nice to see a modification of existing USB Loader code so it can do it's own on-the-fly file replacement from the SD card. That way we can stop all this civil fighting and assertion of false privileges through the use of moral compasses.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assassination said:
DeadlyFoez said:
I have to say the team that made riivolution are quite the pecker heads. It's one thing if you dont support or condone something because of the possibility that someone might pirate something, but it is completely different when you go WAY out of your way to make sure piracy is not happening. Fuck, they aren't nintendo, nor do they get paid to do this by anyone, so to me that just means that they are dicks that think they are better than the rest of us because they know how to program.

I feel the same fuckin way lol

They are better than the rest of us. Otherwise everyone would be making their own "on the fly" game patchers and editors.

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
they've implemented a modchip detection thing in the code... what i know ..give it a week , then it will be fixed...heheheheh

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
terminal_illness said:
modchip works i have done it with mario kart wii and nsmbw reggie levels. i have wiikey2

How is yours burned? Is it a clean iso or is it patched? NTSC, PAL? DVD-R, +?
Thanks

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Old8oy said:
They are better than the rest of us. Otherwise everyone would be making their own "on the fly" game patchers and editors.
Fuck you for saying that. They are not better than any of us...well, they are at least better than wiihacker3000 and steve007. I'm sure there are plenty of things that I can do that they can't, but that does not make me better than them.

I don't doubt that there are things you can do that they can't. They decided they wanted to apply patches to legit discs so they made an app to do that. You've done a lot on bricked wiis and keep up on a very wide spectrum of apps and you're knowledgeable regarding them. All I'm saying is you're more than welcome to put a patcher together yourself and release it for the warez world to enjoy
wink.gif

There might be 20 people on the wii forum here who truly know what they're talking about (I am most definitely NOT one of them). With all the complaining about apps not doing everything people want them to do or not being able to compile them properly (I'm looking especially at the SNEEK thread)...it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

@TRushInfo
As far as my being a bitch....sure.
I've helped a few people do a few things over the past year or so. I've made my "friends" and "enemies". If you want to call me a bitch for not joining in with the whining and complaining going on here, that's fine with me. I know for a fact that this app took a lot of hours and a lot of testing and that it does exactly what it was intended to do.

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
DeadlyFoez said:
Old8oy said:
Fuck you for saying that. They are not better than any of us...well, they are at least better than wiihacker3000 and steve007. I'm sure there are plenty of things that I can do that they can't, but that does not make me better than them.

@TRushInfo
If you want to call me a bitch for not joining in with the whining and complaining going on here, that's fine with me.

Well im glad its ok with you. I always try to get ppls consent before giving my opinion on them.........

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
There isn’t any modchip check. There is an IOS sanity check, and a SNEEK sanity check, because otherwise you’d just get a crash. Crappy modchips just fail at life. Some modchips work, WODE, as an example, has been confirmed working with a proper 1:1 dump. If your shit doesn’t work, it’s because it’s old and crappy and the makers didn’t do it right.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I love the number of threads about getting Riivolution to work with backup and USB loaders in spite of the question having been answered a dozen times already, and I love how these threads always devolve into whining from self-righteous pirates with unrealistic expectations of entitlement about stuff wrongly perceived as malicious in intent.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Assassination said:
Can Darkcorp work with Riivolution?
(P.S i Dont wanna go to the store and buy the retail game)
Unfortunately not...
The Riivolution devs decided it would be nice to get it to check IOS37 reinstall IOS37 v3869 if it is not a clean one.
Aaron (AerialX) is the head dev behind Riivolution, so go yell at him.

DeadlyFoez said:
I have to say the team that made riivolution are quite the pecker heads. It's one thing if you dont support or condone something because of the possibility that someone might pirate something, but it is completely different when you go WAY out of your way to make sure piracy is not happening. Fuck, they aren't nintendo, nor do they get paid to do this by anyone, so to me that just means that they are dicks that think they are better than the rest of us because they know how to program.I 100% agree with you!

Else why would they develop an app in such a way so as to aggresively prevent features that other people want?
I mean, on-the-fly IOS patching just isn't necessary. The "casual" Wii gamer friends I have (who are against modding or too scared to mod their Wii) wouldn't even mind if a patcher like this installed "itself" (such as the channel, and a custom IOS in it's own slot) onto their Wii. I asked them.
And I don't know anyone who would want to play hacked games "with unauthorized modifications" without modifying their wii to do it. My friends either want to do both, or do neither, so i think that this idea is pointless.

Pop006 said:
Umm, sometimes reinventing the wheel can be easier...
Create a USB Loader that searches an SD card for files, if they are not there it reads them from the usb drive instead....
That is more or less what riivolution does is it not?
This is a great idea, especially for people with broken DVD drives.

And yes, pirates aren't the only ones that can get broken drives.
One of my "casual" "anti-mod" gamer friends had a launch Wii that he played all the time, and the DVD drive started geting DREs. He tried the official cleaning kit, and it didn't work for him. He wanted to send it to Nintendo, but being a teenager, he didn't have the money to send it to Nintendo and pay the repair fee. But he had a nearly-empty external HDD, so I told him (again) about softmods and USB loading. After a while, he decided it was a good idea, and so I set up CFG USB loader for him, and offered to backup his games using my Wii and transfer them to his HDD. He is now no longer an "anti-modder" since a softmod saved his Wii.

QUOTE(DeadlyFoez @ Apr 8 2010, 02:06 PM) Fuck you for saying that. They are not better than any of us...well, they are at least better than wiihacker3000 and steve007. I'm sure there are plenty of things that I can do that they can't, but that does not make me better than them.
Sorry Old8oy, but I'm going to have to agree with DeadlyFoez here.

They way they made this app does seem rather self-righteous.

It's almost as though they are using the app to push their anti-piracy morals onto everyone who even sees the app.
And obviously trying to stop pirates must be a nice ego boost for the devs, right? And it gets even bigger when pirates struggle to play burned games with this app, right?

After all, why else would Aaron even bother releasing an app filled with anti-piracy into this Wii hacking subforum, where everybody's trying to hack their Wiis to enhance it and remove any restrictions, rather then place more restrictions onto their Wiis?

...and the way you are defending said app...

The way you seem to be saying they ARE better than everyone...
...that seems to be a bit over the top, a bit too far I think.

You're not worshipping them, are you?
This "rvlution" isn't trying to become a religion, is it?
Because if it is, I'm not going to join.

...da_letter_a mentioned a certain something to me about CSG hoping to get web hosting help from "CSG's mutual friends"...
Your "overdefensive" post isn't due to that, is it?

QUOTE(TempusC @ Apr 8 2010, 05:23 PM)
There isn’t any modchip check. There is an IOS sanity check, and a SNEEK sanity check, because otherwise you’d just get a crash. Crappy modchips just fail at life. Some modchips work, WODE, as an example, has been confirmed working with a proper 1:1 dump. If your shit doesn’t work, it’s because it’s old and crappy and the makers didn’t do it right.
Interesting.

So the WODE works with it, and as posted eariler, the wiikey2 seems to work too.

...so are you saying that Riivolution's anti-piracy is mainly targeting softmods, and that if we want burned discs loading in it all we have to do is purchase and install a decent modchip like the Wiikey2 or WODE?

Good idea TempusC!

Ever since the WODE came out, I've thought about buying one. maybe I will buy one sometime...

P.S. I don't think that Riivolution will encourage people to buy more retail games. 1 retail game is about US$50, and a quick google search yeilded that solderless Wiikey2s are selling for US$45.65, less than 1 retail game! WODE is a bit more, but it can do even more.

If people have the money to buy a game, then they have enough money to buy a wiikey2.
If they don't, then they can just use Wiiscrubber.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry it has nothing to do with Darkcorp, but :
crwys said:
Zaide said:
Get a modchip.. it should work fine with one of those.Do you have one and can prove it? Because its not working for me.
It's working fine for me too, using Wiikey1, and Riivolution 1.0.1 (didn't try with 0.2 yet)

I tried NSMB with BCA patched in the main.dol + trucha patched, it can't detect the DVD (or course, if it's loading it with IOS37 without the trucha bug, it can't read the partition).
then I tried NSMB 1:1 copy, It works. But I have the BCA check intact so the game is hanging after few minutes.

I tried using Ocarina code to patch the BCA in memory, but Ocarina is not working at all for me (with NSMB at least). Not even a code for 98 lives etc.
Check the "riivolution" topic for my Ocarina problem. If someone has Ocarina working for NSMB, please post your xml in the other topic thanks.

QUOTE(terminal_illness @ Apr 8 2010, 03:31 AM)
modchip works i have done it with mario kart wii and nsmbw reggie levels. i have wiikey2
Do you have the BCA patched with Ocarina ?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damysteryman said:
Sorry Old8oy, but I'm going to have to agree with DeadlyFoez here.

They way they made this app does seem rather self-righteous.

It's almost as though they are using the app to push their anti-piracy morals onto everyone who even sees the app.
And obviously trying to stop pirates must be a nice ego boost for the devs, right? And it gets even bigger when pirates struggle to play burned games with this app, right?

After all, why else would Aaron even bother releasing an app filled with anti-piracy into this Wii hacking subforum, where everybody's trying to hack their Wiis to enhance it and remove any restrictions, rather then place more restrictions onto their Wiis?

...and the way you are defending said app...

The way you seem to be saying they ARE better than everyone...
...that seems to be a bit over the top, a bit too far I think.

You're not worshipping them, are you?
This "rvlution" isn't trying to become a religion, is it?
Because if it is, I'm not going to join.

...da_letter_a mentioned a certain something to me about CSG hoping to get web hosting help from "CSG's mutual friends"...
Your "overdefensive" post isn't due to that, is it?

tongue.gif
There's nothing overdefensive about my post. Everyone was on here bitching about not being able to use riivolution with their pirated games. If you've talked to me outside of this forum in IRC (which I'm 99% sure you have under a different name) you'll know that I could care less what people do with their Wii. If they pirate, they pirate. I may rib them over it but that's more out of fun than disgust.

Having said that, there's no reason for anyone to expect that every coder out there is going to agree with them regarding piracy and supply them with the means to do so.

As far as worshipping rvlution, if you would have gotten involved when you were asked (under a different name) you'd know how ridonkulous you're being.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can't honestly expect anything else from a piracy forum like GBAtemp (>90% here pirates) though.
But the The R(ii)v(o)lution people don't support piracy and nothing can be done about that. I'm almost sure there will be something similar once that does work with backups and SNEEK, but until then we can only wait for it...

About the CSG hosting thing, yes we'd like to have a good host and probably our own domain to become a little more professional. RVL has offered us something like that but that's really the ONLY connection between the 2.

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
I find it pretty amusing how everyone is complaining about Riivolution not working with pirated games.

You've all had the capability to modify your pirated games with WiiScrubber and co. for a long time. Riivolution is just giving that capability to people who want to use legit discs - and why is that a problem for you?

I'm actually surprised it's taking so long for someone to release a USB loader with file replacement support.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, I always love it when DLA/DMM posts. I never get the opportunity to respond (tueidj always beats me to it), so here we go.

damysteryman said:
The Riivolution devs decided it would be nice to get it to check IOS37 reinstall IOS37 v3869 if it is not a clean one. Aaron (AerialX) is the head dev behind Riivolution, so go yell at him.Yeah, no. Don't. He can write his program however he wants, you're not obligated to use it and it's not his fault if the list of intended features doesn't meet your criteria.

damysteryman said:
I 100% agree with you! Else why would they develop an app in such a way so as to aggresively prevent features that other people want? I mean, on-the-fly IOS patching just isn't necessary. The "casual" Wii gamer friends I have (who are against modding or too scared to mod their Wii) wouldn't even mind if a patcher like this installed "itself" (such as the channel, and a custom IOS in it's own slot) onto their Wii. I asked them. And I don't know anyone who would want to play hacked games "with unauthorized modifications" without modifying their wii to do it. My friends either want to do both, or do neither, so i think that this idea is pointless."Aggressively prevent features" here meaning "block shit that makes the program not work", it's been said >9000 times. As for its low-impact design, I would applaud the devs for their decision as this makes the app more accessible to a wider number of users who would be content with the excellent features it offers.

damysteryman said:
Umm, sometimes reinventing the wheel can be easier... Create a USB Loader that searches an SD card for files, if they are not there it reads them from the usb drive instead.... That is more or less what riivolution does is it not? This is a great idea, especially for people with broken DVD drives.The changes Riivolution can make are non-trivial and exceed the bounds of what can normally be accomplished with Wiiscrubber, but I'm not going to dissuade you from trying to make your own. The RVL team are the first people to do it, so they hold all the cards in this field, but if people here spent half the time they do arguing about it to work on such an application instead it might have been done by now.

QUOTE(damysteryman @ Apr 8 2010, 04:03 AM) Sorry Old8oy, but I'm going to have to agree with DeadlyFoez here. They way they made this app does seem rather self-righteous. It's almost as though they are using the app to push their anti-piracy morals onto everyone who even sees the app. And obviously trying to stop pirates must be a nice ego boost for the devs, right? And it gets even bigger when pirates struggle to play burned games with this app, right? After all, why else would Aaron even bother releasing an app filled with anti-piracy into this Wii hacking subforum, where everybody's trying to hack their Wiis to enhance it and remove any restrictions, rather then place more restrictions onto their Wiis?
tueidj may personally get a chuckle at watching pirates fail (if he laughed - perhaps "grim sense of satisfaction" is better), but again, no one is forcing you to use this app, and the changes made were made to be practical rather than ethical. Also, it was released into the Wii Hacking forum because it is a Wii hack, and it does enhance any user's Wii. Everyone here can benefit from Riivolution, it doesn't block anyone from using it.

QUOTE(damysteryman @ Apr 8 2010, 04:03 AM)
There isn’t any modchip check. There is an IOS sanity check, and a SNEEK sanity check, because otherwise you’d just get a crash. Crappy modchips just fail at life. Some modchips work, WODE, as an example, has been confirmed working with a proper 1:1 dump. If your shit doesn’t work, it’s because it’s old and crappy and the makers didn’t do it right. Interesting. So the WODE works with it, and as posted eariler, the wiikey2 seems to work too. ...so are you saying that Riivolution's anti-piracy is mainly targeting softmods, and that if we want burned discs loading in it all we have to do is purchase and install a decent modchip like the Wiikey2 or WODE?
Ugh. Are you blind? Good modchips work because they don't interfere with Riivolution. Outdated or crummy ones don't because they do. There's no "anti-softmod" conspiracy here. Re-read Tempus' post, and take off your tinted glasses before you do. If you insist on buying a modchip, sure, go for it. As has been stated approximately one million times, the Riivolution peeps don't care what you do with your Wii.

Also, finally, the whole name-change thing is kind of amusing, but no one is fooled. Posting something like "da_letter_a mentioned to me..." indicates that either you're trying to avoid a reputation or you need to see a psychologist.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Can we please finaly get over with this? Some people need to grow up...you don't always get what you want, and you'll have to live with that, alright?

@The Devs of Riivolution: Ignore this kind of talk. You stated your points several times already, some simply will never get it.
@MEH-WANTZ-THIS-FOR-LOADERZ-People: Live with it. And you still have WiiScrubber & Co., so you can still use the Projects that use Riivolution.

The Devs have the right to do what they want (as long as it's legal, and Riivolution probably is), and I respect their decision.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I kinda figured with the 'need' for an app to replace custom files on the fly (for pirates) it would eventually arise. But besides one effort to load custom files quickly, I'm utterly surprised by the lack of people who seem to be trying.

however the lack of people complaining that another app does not do what they want it to... not surprising at all

Remfin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damysteryman said:
I mean, on-the-fly IOS patching just isn't necessary. The "casual" Wii gamer friends I have (who are against modding or too scared to mod their Wii) wouldn't even mind if a patcher like this installed "itself" (such as the channel, and a custom IOS in it's own slot) onto their Wii. I asked them.
On-the-fly IOS patching is the fucking Holy Grail. Nothing to be installed and absolutely no trace you ever even used it. No more bricks. No more chaos surrounding IOS releases (like Wanin's cios rev17(?) and Hermes v5) and all the back and forth installing nonsense it entails. No reason for Nintendo to deny you service. You really should ask yourselves if they're so awesome, why the hell these other cIOS authors haven't come up with it themselves*.

As to installing an IOS...maybe they were turned off from that after the last time they did it, when that retard da_letter_a falsely accused them of stealing Nintendo code--oh wait, that's you!

* That's not a dig on the cIOS authors really; they just release stuff. It's more about the idiots on boards like this who are constantly praising them and treating them as paragons.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
The process by which it works is what keeps it from being compatible with cIOS and SNEEKy IOS's, or corp'd IOS's for that matter. They went out of their way to make the thing work at all. The rest is a side effect.
Really? Because you'd have a hard time convincing me of that after reading the following pages...

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/special...cfm?artid=21109
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/special...cfm?artid=21111

A snippet:QUOTEClayton: ... Any reasonable measure we could take to make the game require a legitimate game disc was taken (Colin and Aaron put in a LOT of effort in to making it work that way). ...
So, I think it's quite clear, having come straight from one of the devs. mouths, that THEY WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE SURE THE APP DID NOT WORK WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN A LEGIT DISC. It was no fucking so-called 'side effect' of 'good programming'. No amount of backpedaling is going to change that now...so save the BS excuses for another day.

Remfin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skizzo said:
Really? Because you'd have a hard time convincing me of that after reading the following pages...
If you had actually read these Riivolution threads it was made clear by the Riivolution authors that the FF4 project was that way because one of the members demanded it be that way and that it was not true for Riivolution...

If someone asks if CFG USB Loader can do something do you paste stuff from USB Loader GX change-logs???

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I'm watching CNN or FOX NEWS or something with all these "snippets" and comments being taken out of context and blown out of proportion...

Nice investigative reporting
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh