Dark Souls Coming to Steam

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, May 31, 2012.

May 31, 2012
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States

The recently announced Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, a PC port of the popular high difficulty action game, stirred up much controversy and outrage amongst fans for only staying with Games for Windows Live. However, the popular Demon's Souls sequel is now being released on Steam as well.

The game will be coming to the PC on August 24th, which includes all the content of the original console release plus additional content, such as more bosses, more enemies, and more weapons.

For console owners however, you can buy the additional content as DLC when the game is released. Named "Artorias of the Abyss", this additional content will cost $15 for both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 versions.

:arrow: Source

2. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    It will still use Games for Windows, only thing is you can purchase it from Steam.

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Now this is good news! Dark Souls, is that heavily reliant on multiplayer? Else I probably will just end up downloading it. I've heard some good things about it, looking forward to it.

4. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Gee, I certainly hope not. The issue isn't where the game is being sold, but how the connectivity works.
    Steam connectivity is good, GFWL is bad.

Also it probably still has the issues like resolution limitations and locked FPS, but the PC community have their ways of resolving such things anyway.

5. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I don't think there ever was a doubt that Dark Souls would be on Steam, the question was rather whether it'd use Games For Windows Live or Steamworks. Seeing as they mention that it's going to be available on the Games for Windows store then there's a fair chance that they're still going to go with GFWL.

Let's hope not though.

6. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Even if its released on Steam, it will still use GFWL. There plenty other games already on steam that use GFWL.

7. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Am I the only one who actually likes GFWL and haven't had a single problem with it at all?

Seriously, I love the fact that I can play games on the PC with better controls and visuals, and still get achievements for my Gamerscore. I don't get why everybody has problems with it, maybe you're all just doing it wrong. The only time I have problems with it is when I have uTorrent open, it takes a couple seconds more to sign me in, but it still works. I actually wish more games would use GFWL.

1 person likes this.
  8. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    As much i love Atlus and the franchise art direction i can't stand punishing, frustrating games. Recall getting it for PS3, trying a while and reselling it soon enough No time for nervous breakdown got enough shit to deal with a game to add up on it lol. Gaming to relax here so not my audience.. Good news though, steam rules! :D

9. Walrus-Chan

Member Walrus-Chan Advanced Member

United States
    The problem with it is that it doesn't work for a whole bunch of people. That and it's just a piece of crap anyway.

1 person likes this.
  10. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Works like a charm for me. You are right, some people are doing it wrong.

11. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Not doing it wrong so much as it not wanting to work. I had it working mostly fine for a while, and then it just stopped letting me sign in for no reason at all. I couldn't play the two or three games I had with GFWL for about four months, until after I reinstalled Windows for unrelated purposes. I'm not going to pay for another game that forces me through that garbage.

12. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It's always good to see companies listening to their fans. It may not be exactly what everyone wanted, but at least it's a step in the right direction.