Not open for further replies.

Darknesss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, you guys, stop bashing Marcan.

NOTHING that has been shown about cSM is original work, except for replacing a texture to get the logo up there. Booting Backups is just from the rebooter function of the backup loader, except being run on boot. Every single feature listed is.....taken from somewhere else. Starfall, Patchmii, Wiigators loader, GeckoOS, etc.

You say that its an alpha, and that more stuff will be coming soon, but the way you are going about it, it will never be a system menu replacement, it will always be a modified wii menu.

What I want to see is a homebrew program that can launch wii discs, vc/wiiware/channels, other homebrew, sd/memory card management, and support skins, similar to the way system shell replacements work on the original xbox.

A built-from-the-ground-up custom menu.

BoomtownBilly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Darknesss said:

NOTHING that has been shown about cSM is original work, except for replacing a texture to get the logo up there. Booting Backups is just from the rebooter function of the backup loader, except being run on boot. Every single feature listed is.....taken from somewhere else. Starfall, Patchmii, Wiigators loader, GeckoOS, etc.

You say that its an alpha, and that more stuff will be coming soon, but the way you are going about it, it will never be a system menu replacement, it will always be a modified wii menu.

What I want to see is a homebrew program that can launch wii discs, vc/wiiware/channels, other homebrew, sd/memory card management, and support skins, similar to the way system shell replacements work on the original xbox.

you my friend are a cock end.

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darknesss said:

Really? Im pretty sure nearly all homebrew is based off of something preceding it. Backup loader? based off GeckoOS. cIOS installer? based off PatchMii. Not to mention the fact that most of the code we're building off of is from libogc anyways, original gamecube framework. We're all in this together here bud, its all the same building blocks. And of course it would include the features developed by others, why would I release something less effective than whats already out there? >.> My innovation is to follow.

Also, in my eyes it is a system menu replacement, because you dont have the original anymore. And if you want a custom built system menu from the ground up, then help write one. Technically we can already write a "from the ground up" system menu, but it will be extremely crude, and extremely crude for a long time. Personally I dont want to wait years for something like that to be developed to the point when it's finally better than the regular system menu.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
oo an idea, if its possible in future revs, wifi loading of .elf/.dol from the wii menu, so just boot up the wii, wait a few seconds for network to initialize, then send over wiiload, so that i dont have to boot the homebrew channel everytime to beta test stuff. rather annoying, im sure other people would like aswell.

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Isnt marcan one of the guys that said strongly: "A backup loader would never happen" and when asked why isnt he the same person that said: "Cuz NO" Huh?? if I remember correctly he is one of the people calling all of us pirates and not happy with a loader, maybe cuz, as I once said, interest with chips. Too bad no more chips are needed
wink.gif

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I for one will never comprehend how one 'hacker' can put themselves above another hacker. Hack the way you want Forsaekn, im sure there are many that really appreciate the work. And i also agree that there are some nice homebrew apps but how does that warrant being arrogant to others, even trying to set some sort of 'hacker morals' as it were. Come on, do you really think nintendo view the 'higher' wii hackers homebrew/emulators/apps with any less contempt then it does the 'gbatemp' hackers projects?

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darknesss said:

Then STFU and make one. Stop bashing someone else cause you have nowhere near the skills to do what they do.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Forsaekn

did you say you are, or are not planning on patching the system menu (yours, the cSM) to run off a cIOS (so as to enable cIOS DIP plugin to run through disc channel from boot)? if your answer is that you are, I have some concerns I want to talk over about with you. If not, no need to discuss it.

EDIT: as I've read back over, I see you are planning on using a cIOS to run the sysmenu.....this is a very bad idea, and if you want to talk about why, just PM me. I don't think it's time to go down that road just yet.

Darknesss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g00s3y said:
Then STFU and make one. Stop bashing someone else cause you have nowhere near the skills to do what they do.

I don't have the knowledge to build a custom system menu, but I do have the knowledge required to repackage other peoples patches and source code into custom system menu.

I mean, cmon, aside from launching backups, cSM is Starfall.
Once bootmii comes out, you can just load the Gamma Rebooter on boot and and have a fully "custom" menu that does exactly the same thing, without any extra work. In fact, I might package that together, call it "DarkSM" and call it a day.

JumpMan3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somethings I would like to see in the future cSM releases.

SDHC support

Loading VC games off a SD card. (I think Nintendo said they might do this in there spring 09 update but I'm not sure)

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
@Forsaekn

did you say you are, or are not planning on patching the system menu (yours, the cSM) to run off a cIOS (so as to enable cIOS DIP plugin to run through disc channel from boot)? if your answer is that you are, I have some concerns I want to talk over about with you. If not, no need to discuss it.

EDIT: as I've read back over, I see you are planning on using a cIOS to run the sysmenu.....this is a very bad idea, and if you want to talk about why, just PM me. I don't think it's time to go down that road just yet.
You are more than welcome to PM me your concern, but as I see it there is no significant change between cIOS and the IOS that the official system menu uses (outside of the DIP module), aside from a few ES_ restrictions lifted. Also you won't be forced to use cSM with a custom IOS, you can choose what IOS to use upon installation (and eventually, the ability to change IOS from the settings menu).
QUOTE(Darknesss @ Nov 16 2008, 12:08 AM) I don't have the knowledge to build a custom system menu, but I do have the knowledge required to repackage other peoples patches and source code into custom system menu.

I mean, cmon, aside from launching backups, cSM is Starfall.
Once bootmii comes out, you can just load the Gamma Rebooter on boot and and have a fully "custom" menu that does exactly the same thing, without any extra work. In fact, I might package that together, call it "DarkSM" and call it a day.
cSM is not starfall, because cSM is not released yet. For all you know, I could turn it into a media player by release...
Tell ya what, see what cSM looks like when I release it, then make the comparison kay? thx. I am flattered that you're comparing an early alpha to something thats been released for quite some time though (with no sourcecode I might add). These patches are my own, inspired by software such as Starfall and Gecko OS. >.> Stop flaming.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forsaekn said:
noobwarrior7 said:
@Forsaekn

You are more than welcome to PM me your concern, but as I see it there is no significant change between cIOS and the IOS that the official system menu uses (outside of the DIP module), aside from a few ES_ restrictions lifted. Also you won't be forced to use cSM with a custom IOS, you can choose what IOS to use upon installation (and eventually, the ability to change IOS from the settings menu).

hopefully, you'll think about and understand the PM i sent you, and maybe you've already thought of it.

dajavax

Trophies
Website
www.dajavax.tk
XP
Country
Mexico
i wonder why it is based on 3.2 and not 3.3... why most people still use 3.2... now everything is compatible with 3.3 except starfall but you wouldn't need that after this...

MrRochie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
grog.gif
So let me get this straight ..help a NOOB out...... This cSM is Custom Firmware for the Wii.. like Dark Alex's custom firmware for the PSP so no homebrew channel is needed or twilight hack etc.... If say a person just wanted to play his backups....right??? or Wrong??
unsure.gif

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrRochie said:
grog.gif
So let me get this straight ..help a NOOB out...... This cSM is Custom Firmware for the Wii.. like Dark Alex's custom firmware for the PSP so no homebrew channel is needed or twilight hack etc.... If say a person just wanted to play his backups....right??? or Wrong??
unsure.gif

what he's talking about is custom IOS paired with custom sysmenu, which is, in effect, the closest thing your wii will have to custom firmware....except for custom bootloader/bootstrap

better to think of it as a custom OS

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrRochie said:
grog.gif
unsure.gif
Correct, if you just wanna play backups then you would be all set. You would have to install it via the homebrew channel or twilight hack though to get it on there, similar to how you needed an exploit to install DAX's custom firmware to get started.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
There's a lot of heated discussion both ways going on here. Thanks for being reasonably civilised in this thread Forsaekn, even though there are plenty of members who aren't being very level headed.

The proof of concept vid and features sound pretty cool, I'm really interested to see where this goes. I wish you the best with it.

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opium said:
There's a lot of heated discussion both ways going on here. Thanks for being reasonably civilised in this thread Forsaekn, even though there are plenty of members who aren't being very level headed.

The proof of concept vid and features sound pretty cool, I'm really interested to see where this goes. I wish you the best with it.
Thanks, I appreciate it

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I will be handing the threat...before I release a version to the public. (It would also be nice for BootMii to be released....

Fors

good to hear, glad we talked, and yes, yes it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163970/