Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
That sounds amazing, legit, you're very talented. Is it hard to code for Wii apps? How'd you learn to do all this stuff?
that's the type of shit i think lol, i mean been a DJ requires skill, people don't think it does, but you try doing perfect beat mixes, with reverbing tinny basslines kicking out, adding effects fading scratching all at the same time as listening through one ear etc. quite complicated teaching someone lol
tongue.gif
(AND THEN THEIRS THE CHEATING DIGITAL DJ'S conssssss).
tongue.gif

and before anyone says yes no refernce to wii at all but so has half the sh*T on this forum....now

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phratt said:
Wow!
That sounds amazing, legit, you're very talented. Is it hard to code for Wii apps? How'd you learn to do all this stuff?
Its not really hard, and I taught myself. (although, i've been coding for many years.)

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djdynamite123 said:
QUOTE said:
that's the type of shit i think lol, i mean been a DJ requires skill, people don't think it does, but you try doing perfect beat mixes, with reverbing tinny basslines kicking out, adding effects fading scratching all at the same time as listening through one ear etc. quite complicated teaching someone lol
tongue.gif

and before anyone says yes no refernce to wii at all but so has half the sh*T on this forum....now

dj.....I barely understood a f#@%^$ word you just said.

lol.......jk.

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forsaekn said:
Phratt said:
Wow!
Its not really hard, and I taught myself. (although, i've been coding for many years.)

When you get the time, you should really make a tutorial.

Also thanks to you, I just read all about boot mii, and oh my god, I can't wait. Though I'll be really disappointed if marcan tries to sell it, like Savemii.

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another option would be to release it as a channel for testing from the real system menu until bootmii comes out, which could allow for further debugging. just make sure the update function doesn't overwrite the real system menu in the regular channel release (obviously).

I think the best functionality that could come out of this would be to allow loading of vc/wiiware/any regular channel from sd card and maybe also an option to put savegames there as well. This could already be implemented in the next version of HBC (marcan???). Since libogc supports SDHC cards, a new system menu based on libogc would basically remove almost all issues with using large sd cards. The only major thing remaining (involving the sd card) would be memory management functions (like transferring of channels/savegames to/from sd card to nand). A hacked system menu could also enable easy transfer of channels. Ex: you copy a channel to your sd card and your friend copies it right onto his/her wii from the hacked menu (possibly no wads or integrate wads into the menu to make it easier). One could also integrate the full removal of the ticket (i think this gets left behind when using the regular menu...) for pirated/wadded games, so it would not be necessary to use the wad manager, only the modified system menu to delete stuff. This would further ease the use/installation and removal of games.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Phratt said:
Forsaekn said:
Phratt said:
Wow!

When you get the time, you should really make a tutorial.

Also thanks to you, I just read all about boot mii, and oh my god, I can't wait. Though I'll be really disappointed if marcan tries to sell it, like Savemii.
Selling software is wrong. (I'm looking at your, Microsoft)

Marcan wouldn't sell it. He sold SaveMii because it's a material thing, and material things aren't always free, especially when you make them by hand with things you brought with your money. And you have to ship them. He had a right to sell SaveMii. BootMii shouldn't be sold, as it is just software and you can easily distribute it via internet.

requiem4d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Selling software is not wrong. I'm one of the most pro open source people you're ever going to find, but read the GPL. Just because it's open source doesn't mean you can't / shouldn't benefit from the countless hours of work the authors put into it.

I choose to make 99% of all my software freely available. My OS, however, I charge for. It's highly specialized, highly customized, and is completely 100% open source.

The thing is, if the software was never licensed to you, then the GPL does not apply to you.

That being said, I really don't forsee BootMii being a for-profit only application. I also don't forsee it being completely open source.

Christen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Forsaekn said:
Phratt said:
A bunch of questions that I'm guessing have already been asked.

1) Can you give an Estimate as to when you might release it? (this year, next years, ect)

2) Is this cSM just like PSP Custom firmwares? Like, can it brick a Wii if used on the wrong firmware or installed without the right requirements?

3)Would it ever be possible for you to make online updates?

4)What actual benefits does this have?

1) ETA is shortly after BootMii is released. I decided the other day on this, because there would atleast be a means of recovery in place for safety reasons.

2) It can only brick your wii if you install it incorrectly. (and after bootmii, this problem won't exist).

3) Online updates are very possible, infact I accomplished this earlier today. It now closely resembles psp CFW, in that System Update now points to my server instead of Nintendo's. The last half of implentation is to finish setting up my server to handle SOAP and negotiations with a wii console. After that, its testing. Doing this is pretty neat actually, then people can enable WC24 for the weather and news channels as well as the messageboards as those still point to nintendo, and if you get the "Update available" nag screen theres an update to cSM
smile.gif

4) a bunch, just read the initial post. theres been much more implemented that I havent mentioned since that post(for example the online updating). but since you specifically mentioned it I figured i could tell everyone.

Im sort of keeping quiet until BootMii is released so that I can drop a bomb on the scene.

Fors

I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but if your trying to keep this a secret, why are you telling us?

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Christen said:
Forsaekn said:
Phratt said:
A bunch of questions that I'm guessing have already been asked.

1) Can you give an Estimate as to when you might release it? (this year, next years, ect)

2) Is this cSM just like PSP Custom firmwares? Like, can it brick a Wii if used on the wrong firmware or installed without the right requirements?

3)Would it ever be possible for you to make online updates?

4)What actual benefits does this have?

1) ETA is shortly after BootMii is released. I decided the other day on this, because there would atleast be a means of recovery in place for safety reasons.

2) It can only brick your wii if you install it incorrectly. (and after bootmii, this problem won't exist).

3) Online updates are very possible, infact I accomplished this earlier today. It now closely resembles psp CFW, in that System Update now points to my server instead of Nintendo's. The last half of implentation is to finish setting up my server to handle SOAP and negotiations with a wii console. After that, its testing. Doing this is pretty neat actually, then people can enable WC24 for the weather and news channels as well as the messageboards as those still point to nintendo, and if you get the "Update available" nag screen theres an update to cSM
smile.gif

4) a bunch, just read the initial post. theres been much more implemented that I havent mentioned since that post(for example the online updating). but since you specifically mentioned it I figured i could tell everyone.

Im sort of keeping quiet until BootMii is released so that I can drop a bomb on the scene.

Fors

I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but if your trying to keep this a secret, why are you telling us?

He's hyping it up, so it could have a big release, if he's going to get anything in return for his hard work, its ganna have to be praise and excitement.

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phratt said:
Christen said:

He's hyping it up, so it could have a big release, if he's going to get anything in return for his hard work, its ganna have to be praise and excitement.

If you look in my last post, I said the only reason I disclosed information about the online update was because he specifically asked a question regarding it.

"but since you specifically mentioned it I figured i could tell everyone"

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forsaekn,Do you think it would be possible to first test it as a channel that didn't install the custom firmware?

Christen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Forsaekn said:
Phratt said:
Christen said:

If you look in my last post, I said the only reason I disclosed information about the online update was because he specifically asked a question regarding it.

Ah, I'm sorry. My bad.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forsaekn said:
smile.gif

Fors
i'm liking this one... a lot

bow.gif

Phratt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forsaekn said:
Phratt said:
Christen said:

Sorry if my assumption was wrong, anyways, Will cSM be like a package, with most homebrew attatchments in or will it be more like a software to enable most homebrew attatchments?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phratt said:
Forsaekn said:
Phratt said:
Christen said:

Sorry if my assumption was wrong, anyways, Will cSM be like a package, with most homebrew attatchments in or will it be more like a software to enable most homebrew attatchments?

It'll be a system menu patcher, so your SM will be altered from an official build to a patched one, with lots of patches.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
marcan said:
Tichinde925 said:
Yea, thats what custom cars are.
Yeah. Patching a dozen bytes of code in the system menu (or IOS, or making the system menu use a patched IOS) is about as "custom" as swapping out the radio. I'd call a System Menu a "custom" one if you actually made some changes to it that involve a similar amount of skill as the "customizing" of the car that you describe.

If you want to call something "custom" at least either make it a technically relevant modification. You know, like adding Gamecube pad support to the main menu, making the background image swappable (NOT by editing the textures - I mean actually have it load a JPEG from SD). I'd call that custom, since it involves a significant modification to the code. Not swapping out textures, editing the IOS field in the TMD, and patching trivial bits of code. Menuloader already does a lot of what this "custom" menu is going to do. It patches about 30 or so bytes, total.

Most people are trying to carry on the implications or the definition of "custom" from other fields, depending on what they need. Implying that "custom" is an important achievement while just pretending that a few modifications makes something "custom" is incoherent. If you want to call something "custom" because it's modified (in any way), the custom means VERY little - I could call my System Menu custom already because it has HBC on it. If you want to imply some sort of technical difficulty, such as most people do when applying it to cars, then sorry but a dozen single-instruction patches don't qualify as custom. Pick a definition and stick to it. If you pick the former then everyone actually making new or seriously hacked stuff will just have to find a better term.

cIOS had nothing of "custom" UNTIL the new warezloader 0.3 DI patch came around. THAT is PRECISELY when the "custom" label would start to apply to at least the DI module, IMNSHO. You know, like tweaking the fuel injectors in a car with a custom mod to the ECU to improve performance by varying the timing. Legal/moral implications aside, what was done there had a lot of technical merit and clearly showed that the person doing it had a fairly deep understanding of how that particular IOS module worked and how to add the functionality required. Of course, since Waninkoko started calling it "custom" way before that, they couldn't do anything about changing the name then since it was already supposedly "custom".

If you need another analogy, previous "custom" IOSes and what seems to be the upcoming "custom" menu are about as "custom" as a Windows computer where you changed the screen saver, replaced the wallpaper, and added one of those off-the-shelf skinning tools with a Vista theme.

Any developer with the skill to truly hack the System Menu to bits and pieces should have figured out by now that entirely REPLACING the System Menu is a much more useful prospect and a much more useful thing to be spending time on. We have. If you haven't it probably means that you're just not seeing the big picture. A modified IOS makes sense because replacing IOS is a major pain in the ass and with little practical prospect at the moment, for most real situations. Replacing the System Menu is doable here and now, and just requires some time and a dedicated team of prorgamers.

If you actually manage to revamp the graphical aspect (by itself not good enough! but a decent start), add features (GC pad support), change the GUI layout a bit (that shows that you're not just replacing images), make it tweakable, and in general ADD stuff to it - not just remove restrictions - THEN I'll call it custom all right (not from scratch, but I never said custom implied ONLY from scratch). But right now it's just a few hardcoded menuloader-like patches and an IOS swap.

And if you stick to the "custom = not stock, changed in any way" definition, then that's great, but custom stops implying ANY sort of achievement and becomes a label for pretty much everything that comes out of the wii homebrew/hacking community. That makes it a pretty useless label.
A new world record!!! The only single forum post to have eight paragraphs on the improper use of the word "custom"

Wow. I know you were letting off steam that another warez related project has popped up, but I've never seen anyone take out his frustration by writing a complete essay on the name of said warez project.

Good Job!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
midna, did you not catch that we called a ceasefire on harassing marcan? good job.

that post was left sevenish pages ago for a reason, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Made in China is back to what it was in the 80s lol +2